Become a Patron!

staple staggered fused claptons questions

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For my next coil build attempt I want to aim for something a little less liquid-consuming, but without sacrificing on flavor too much if possible. Someone has suggested I try building aliens with 28 Nichrome80 / 36 Nichrome80 but I'm still on a learning curve so was wondering maybe a little easier choice for now.

The dual staple staggered fused claptons I use now are my first (and so far only) successful build. They're 26 Kanthal / 4 pieces of Kanthal ribbon / 36 Nichrome80 with 5 wraps / 2.5mm diameter and that I vape at 140 Watts (Wismec Reuleaux RX300 / Wotofo The Troll RDA 2 / Cotton Bacon) for a very nice, warm, flavorful vape and not much throat hit. The RDA that I intend to use my next coil build on is a Goon (already purchased). Suggestions please?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I take it making DIY juice takes a bit of patience / time, though... so in the mean time what kind of (less big?) coils would people suggest I try to build next? I was thinking using 28 Nichrome80 instead of 26 Kanthal and maybe less ribbon / no ribbon at all (for something other than staple staggered fused claptons this time) so that the coils would consist of less metal as that would heat up (and also cool down) somewhat faster and to be used at something probably less than 140 Watts? (Only other requirement is it has to stay above .1 Ohms when dualed.)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am trying to learn aliens and think I like aliens, but aliens don't seem to like me... lol. :) Thanks! That thread I've been lurking for the past few weeks. Pics in there really are fabulous, easy to get carried away and get confused about what to try. (I wish more members could post info on how many Ohms their great looking builds are at as I don't own a mech and it's hard to guesstimate if you're completely new to building.)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With fused try to lower your wattage, you don't really need 140W, around 100-110W should do the trick.
The Troll V2 can be very airy and may loose flavor, so try to use it around half open.
Wouldn't go as far as 2x28 cores, 2x26 should be just fine.

Last edited:

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn you got staple staggered fuse down before aliens? Nice, I suppose I'm the opposite. Been trying to nail it for weeks now using 28g frames 4ply .4/36g. Aliens can go through a lot of juice IMO too, but once you get it down I suggest trying a alien framed staple 28g frames 4-6ply and 36+ wrap very tasty. I agree with nightshard that 140 is a bit high, I vape the fraliens at 110 but its all to each persons taste.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn you got staple staggered fuse down before aliens? Nice, I suppose I'm the opposite. Been trying to nail it for weeks now using 28g frames 4ply .4/36g. Aliens can go through a lot of juice IMO too, but once you get it down I suggest trying a alien framed staple 28g frames 4-6ply and 36+ wrap very tasty. I agree with nightshard that 140 is a bit high, I vape the fraliens at 110 but its all to each persons taste.
Thanks! Yeah, these staple staggered fused claptons are my first coil build ever, and in fact I hadn't even tried to do a regular clapton before I finished this build.

Initially I had been vaping them at 140W, but soon decided 138W was enough. Going below 138 the flavor starts to get watered down quickly. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I am using a Troll. Also initially, I had been wicking them the normal way. I changed that to making the wicks thicker so that they're almost completely tight. Doing that has solved my problem for me. I mean, they still go through a lot of juice of course, but substantially less than they did at first. Flavor seems unaffected by this change in wicking method with these coils. Instead, the wicks just seem to last longer now. Once again I don't know why. As another bonus there's no more spitback at 138W. I know not everyone likes warm vape, but IMO warm vape is a must have if you are vaping something like Beard Tobaccocino, for example. (It's made in California... palm trees grow there so it's got to be warm. ;) )

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You must have nev er heard of Bridgeport.
It's got a turtle on it.

bridgeport-mill-speeds.jpg

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! Yeah, these staple staggered fused claptons are my first coil build ever, and in fact I hadn't even tried to do a regular clapton before I finished this build.

Initially I had been vaping them at 140W, but soon decided 138W was enough. Going below 138 the flavor starts to get watered down quickly. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I am using a Troll. Also initially, I had been wicking them the normal way. I changed that to making the wicks thicker so that they're almost completely tight. Doing that has solved my problem for me. I mean, they still go through a lot of juice of course, but substantially less than they did at first. Flavor seems unaffected by this change in wicking method with these coils. Instead, the wicks just seem to last longer now. Once again I don't know why. As another bonus there's no more spitback at 138W. I know not everyone likes warm vape, but IMO warm vape is a must have if you are vaping something like Beard Tobaccocino, for example. (It's made in California... palm trees grow there so it's got to be warm. ;) )
Nice that's one hell of a first build lol. I've never built simple round wire, started with claptons- but SSFC.. that's just a whole other level hah.

VU Sponsors