Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel & Kanthal Temp Control Mods (What's Available)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Other than the Smok X Cube II 160w (now 180w) and the IJOY Asolo 200w,
are there any other VV/VW Mods available that are able to do Temperature Control with Stainless Steel and/or Kanthal?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That I know of, no mod does Temperature Control with Kanthal (I have an Asolo). The Asolo only does true Temperature Control with Ni200 and Ti01. Dry hit prevention or taste control is not the same as TC.

For SS TC you have the DNA200 mods, Xcube2, the yet to be released Treebox, and Dicode (sp?) that I know of. The DNA200 mods let you input the TCR of wires, so anything you want to try with a TCR at or above .001 (iirc) is doable.

Cheers,
Steve

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah...so they're misleading people with the wording on the Asolo's huh?
Good to know man.
So when using Kanthal And Stainless with the Asolo it's just dry hit prevention?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know man.
So when using Kanthal And Stainless with the Asolo it's just dry hit prevention?

I was totally hooked on tc until I tried the Crown SS coils in the Asolo. Personally I don't see any difference between using TC and taste control/dry hit prevention. I liked TC previously because of the dry hit prevention, which the Asolo seems to do well in power mode (and the flavor of the Ni/Ti coils). But the flavor of these SS coils is outstanding, so I feel I have the best of both worlds now!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good to know man.

If you look at the title of the Asolo thread, it's now been charged to taste control all wires from TC.

The way I look at TC is the chip monitors the resistance of the coil (comparing it to it's room temperature resistance) and by the TCR calculates the temperature. The TCR of Kanthal is too low for that to work with the measuring equipment we have available to us. The Asolo does do dry hit prevention on Kanthal. I'm not entirely sure how though. My guess is by monitoring the current. Either way, I don't think it's truly limiting the temperature of a wet coil. Hope that helps.

PS I like my Asolo, just trying to clarify what it actually does.

Cheers,
Steve

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you look at the title of the Asolo thread, it's now been charged to taste control all wires from TC.

The way I look at TC is the chip monitors the resistance of the coil (comparing it to it's room temperature resistance) and by the TCR calculates the temperature. The TCR of Kanthal is too low for that to work with the measuring equipment we have available to us. The Asolo does do dry hit prevention on Kanthal. I'm not entirely sure how though. My guess is by monitoring the current. Either way, I don't think it's truly limiting the temperature of a wet coil. Hope that helps.

PS I like my Asolo, just trying to clarify what it actually does.

Cheers,
Steve

I was totally hooked on tc until I tried the Crown SS coils in the Asolo. Personally I don't see any difference between using TC and taste control/dry hit prevention. I liked TC previously because of the dry hit prevention, which the Asolo seems to do well in power mode (and the flavor of the Ni/Ti coils). But the flavor of these SS coils is outstanding, so I feel I have the best of both worlds now!

Thanks you two.
Dry hit prevention is actually all I'm actually looking to get out of "TC" anyways.
Anything beyond that...meh.

Just wondering what other options there were out there for Stainless and Kanthal.
I have the X Cube II and actually really dig the thing, but unfortunately for me...Ergonomics is what's killing it for me.
Yeah, Ergonomics of all shitt'n things!
Not that it's a bad design or too big, it's the size with hard squared edges and the full fire bar all combined.
None of that would bother me under normal circumstances.
However...
I have terrible Bilateral Carpal Tunnel. Had the surgery on both hands years ago...bla bla bla.
Anyhow, the way that Mod fits my hands is just aggravating the hell out of them.
When I get home at night my hands are sore enough as is, then using the X Cube is just adding extra fuel to that fire for me.
It sucks because I like the X Cube, but my hands are telling me otherwise.
I think if it had just ONE curved edge for your palm it would make all the difference in the world. (for my situation that is)

So I'm just looking for some other options for that reason alone.
Problem is...doesn't look like there's many available at the moment.
I would imagine that SS temp control and Dry Hit prevention will become the Norm in the not so distant future, but for now I think the X Cube probably packs some of the best bang for the Buck.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sold my IPV4 within two weeks, because it set off a nerve in my wrist! The Asolo is tiny for a dual battery mod, and I don't have the same issue.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just watched a video of the Asolo taste control.
Naw..definitely not what I'm looking for there.
That would probably drive me nuts while dripping!

Guess I'd probably lean more towards true TC with SS then.
And for that... the DNA 200 Mod you had said.
Is there a list of DNA 200 mods, and any you would recommend over another?
Any to stay away from altogether?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off you're welcome. I just happen to have a few pics I took of my Asolo, Hcigar VT200 (DNA200), and IPV3 Li for size comparisons:

(Left to Right) Asolo with a TFV4. Hcigar with Billow V2
IMG_20151012_205519_zpsqjh1k5ri.jpg

(Left to Right) IPV3 Li, IPV2S, Asolo, MVP 20W
IMG_20150918_152328_zps2yue0xex.jpg

I would think with your Bilateral Carpal Tunnel, the Hcigar might be the most comfortable. It's small, nicely rounded, and not too heavy. . The Asolo is also small, a tad heavier (I haven't weighed them, but it feels that way to me), but the bottom edge is not rounded. Either way, I hope the pictures can help you with size comparisons

Cheers,
Steve

Edit We were typing at the same time, give me a second and I'll get you a link to the different DNA200 mods available.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the link to the list: DNA200 Mods.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks for the pics Steve.
I'm actually running a TFV4 right now as well so it's nice to see how it looks on the Asolo.

Wow, didn't realize the DNA's used a different battery system or how expensive they are. Definitely couldn't go hopping from one mod to the next with those!
(At least I couldn't) haha.
Looks like I'll have to do some extensive research if I were to make a switch like that.
and I think you're right about the ergonomics and my hands as for the ones you have pictured.

I wish more mods were integrating SS temp control in the under $100 price range.
But...give em 2 months and see what happens right?
I sold my IPV4 within two weeks, because it set off a nerve in my wrist! The Asolo is tiny for a dual battery mod, and I don't have the same issue.
I tend to lean more towards the smaller mods as well if I can help it.
Its just hard to find a good one that holds two 18650's and is still small, ya know?
Looks like Ijoy did a great job there!
Hows the screen brightness on the Asolo?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the pics Steve.
I'm actually running a TFV4 right now as well so it's nice to see how it looks on the Asolo.

Wow, didn't realize the DNA's used a different battery system or how expensive they are. Definitely couldn't go hopping from one mod to the next with those!
(At least I couldn't) haha.
Looks like I'll have to do some extensive research if I were to make a switch like that.
and I think you're right about the ergonomics and my hands as for the ones you have pictured.

I wish more mods were integrating SS temp control in the under $100 price range.
But...give em 2 months and see what happens right?

I tend to lean more towards the smaller mods as well if I can help it.
Its just hard to find a good one that holds two 18650's and is still small, ya know?
Looks like Ijoy did a great job there!
Hows the screen brightness on the Asolo?
Very bright - but I haven't taken it outside to see if its affected by sunlight.

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I agree about the Crown SS coils, awesome flavor and tank!! BUT...I use mine on the lowly IPV D2 in power mode, around 50/55 watts, no 200 watt/ $200 mod or TC and still get a fantastic vape......just my 2cents

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree about the Crown SS coils, awesome flavor and tank!! BUT...I use mine on the lowly IPV D2 in power mode, around 50/55 watts, no 200 watt/ $200 mod or TC and still get a fantastic vape......just my 2cents

You certainly can of course! I use the 0.5 at around 50 on my D2 and also get a great vape. I've tried the 0.25 on the D2 but as I like that a little hotter the battery life is pretty bad. (Incidentally, I paid around $75 for my gazillion watt mod LOL)

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You certainly can of course! I use the 0.5 at around 50 on my D2 and also get a great vape. I've tried the 0.25 on the D2 but as I like that a little hotter the battery life is pretty bad. (Incidentally, I paid around $75 for my gazillion watt mod LOL)

that's what I'm using too, haven't tried the .25 or Ni coil yet, this one's (0.5) lasted me almost a month so far and still hits like new, hate to give it up, lol. I've been thinking of getting into the DNA200 realm, only because I want to build with SS after tasting those Crown coils!! Been thinking of gettin the Lavabox, nice and small, single 18650, battery life not an issue, just switch em out and move along :) You liking that Asolo? Have u tried TC on Kanthal? Great idea but I think it's still a ways off to perfection, just my opinion

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're looking at getting into DNA200 mods. Check out the Hcigar VT200, you can find it on sale for around $120.00. Another one you can find around the same price is the Hotcig DX200. I have both and like them both. The only downside to the DX200 is the battery came discharged. I had to use Escribe recovery charging to bring it back. The upside is you can change batteries with that mod extremely easily. Just snaps on and off like the Disrupter.

Cheers,
Steve

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that's what I'm using too, haven't tried the .25 or Ni coil yet, this one's (0.5) lasted me almost a month so far and still hits like new, hate to give it up, lol. I've been thinking of getting into the DNA200 realm, only because I want to build with SS after tasting those Crown coils!! Been thinking of gettin the Lavabox, nice and small, single 18650, battery life not an issue, just switch em out and move along :) You liking that Asolo? Have u tried TC on Kanthal? Great idea but I think it's still a ways off to perfection, just my opinion
I'm really liking it - in fact it's pretty much all I use at home. I've used it with the taste control on the Crown ss coils, and it works well. For the price it's a steal (not at full price obviously). I really wasn't keen to spend $200 on another box after my SX mini died on me!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe Ecig has the Asolo on sale for around $69 plus there is a 5% off code that's escaping me atm. I'll try to find it if you're interested.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. The coupon code is TURBO

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe Ecig has the Asolo on sale for around $69 plus there is a 5% off code that's escaping me atm. I'll try to find it if you're interested.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. The coupon code is TURBO

not too keen on the Asolo right now, wanna wait for them (or someone else) to perfect TC with Kanthal. I was thinking too about the VT200, looks nice and solid. Might be bigger than I prefer tho, I'm used to the IPV D2 and cheap but useable Istick 40's for TC. Have u had a chance to check out the Lavabox? I know I'm repeating myself, but I just like the compactness of it, as I said, battery life not an issue

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've seen pictures of it, but haven't seen it in person. I like the looks to. I have a pic of the Asolo next to the VT200 posted earlier in the thread (scroll up if you haven't seen them). The DX200 is just a tad shorter. I haven't gotten around to posting pictures of that yet. I'll get to it soon.

Cheers,
Steve

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've seen pictures of it, but haven't seen it in person. I like the looks to. I have a pic of the Asolo next to the VT200 posted earlier in the thread (scroll up if you haven't seen them). The DX200 is just a tad shorter. I haven't gotten around to posting pictures of that yet. I'll get to it soon.

Cheers,
Steve

I've been lookin around, can't find the VT200 for the price u mentioned, not in black anyway, but you've got me thinkin about that one again since the Lavabox STILL hasn't been released, tryin 2 b patient sucks!, lol :-( decisions decisions.....thanks for ur input Steve, Harley

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anytime my friend. I bought one from Gearbest for that price when they were running a sale. I actually have 2 due to an ordering snafu. I bought the other one from Ecigcity with a TFV4 for $149.99 shipped via 2 day priority mail (Both in black). I just checked and they are out of stock. Ecig has been running them at that price. I'm sure they will restock soon. Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. If at all possible, I'd recommend ordering from the USA just in case you have any problems plus much quicker shipping. Check Vapor Joes Blog to see when the sales happen. Another blog that I check is Vaping Cheap.

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any thoughts on how the x cube II mini would work for you?

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anytime my friend. I bought one from Gearbest for that price when they were running a sale. I actually have 2 due to an ordering snafu. I bought the other one from Ecigcity with a TFV4 for $149.99 shipped via 2 day priority mail (Both in black). I just checked and they are out of stock. Ecig has been running them at that price. I'm sure they will restock soon. Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. If at all possible, I'd recommend ordering from the USA just in case you have any problems plus much quicker shipping. Check Vapor Joes Blog to see when the sales happen. Another blog that I check is Vaping Cheap.

Yeah tks, put myself on the "notify me" list @ Ecig ($120 I think) for when the black comes back in stock, but kinda hoping the Lavabox comes in 1st :)..................Curly, if ur asking about the X Cube for me, nah, way too big, I like stealthy :) but thanx 4 the suggestion

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@84Harley, I just looked and the site says the Lavabox is in stock. Can get the mod alone for $170 or the mod with a tank and juice for $200. Just letting you know since your interested in it.

Cheers,
Steve

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@84Harley, I just looked and the site says the Lavabox is in stock. Can get the mod alone for $170 or the mod with a tank and juice for $200. Just letting you know since your interested in it.

Cheers,
Steve

wow, ur on top of things, lol. I checked it out and then went back to youtube reviews again, the VT200 is a tad smaller.....and cheaper! I think I've made up my mind :) I'll do a bit more research, but I think the Vt200 might be the one.....tks again Steve!

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been thinking of gettin the Lavabox, nice and small, single 18650, battery life not an issue, just switch em out and move along :)

Hey Harley,

I just read your post here and see you're looking at the Lavabox.
I wanted to point out that the LavaBox Does NOT use an 18650.
Its a LiPo.
Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not...but please be aware of that. ;)

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I knew that, but it does have the quick charge I believe, regardless, was tired of waiting for it's release so I pulled the trigger late last nite on the VT200, no quick charge on that tho :-(

diceman1000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very bright - but I haven't taken it outside to see if its affected by sunlight.
it does wash out in direct sunlight, but shading it with your hand makes it perfectly visible(unlike the mirror finished IPVs)

just got my Asolo today and loving it so far, running a black Starre Pro with .25 ohm ni200 coil, 450 degrees at 70w is just plain outstanding... I posted a short video on the Asolo thread...

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

AdubbaU

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have VT200, VaporShark 200, and Lavabox arriving tomorrow, also the iJoy as well. The VS is my best device owned size and power are unmatched in my opinion. The VT200 is solid a little larger but bigger battery, excellent device for the lower price point. The iJoy has been great device for me, battery life is great and performs as it should though does not get the use it used to. I like tweaking the DNA200's and on computer all day making changes easy.

Have mostly been using SS and Ni, but ordered some Ti.5 mm Sweet Spot wire and using their TCR table and going back to Ti for the time being. All the devices mentioned in this thread are great devices and can't go wrong.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors