Become a Patron!

Stainless Steel Coils?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
OK so I see all these new tanks coming out stating the coils are made from Stainless Steel. I was wondering how is this done? Has anyone tried this? What are the differences with it vs kanthal or nickel?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS is a suitable substitute for kanthal or nichrome. It is seen as the superior wire by some. Personally, I think it's mostly hype.

I don't think there's any point in comparing it to nickel. Its properties make it much closer to nichrome in terms of performance. It's not a temperature control wire and no devices are calibrated to its temperature coefficient.

How easy it is to build with, I couldn't tell you. That would depend on whether or not it's been tempered.

There are a few brand-name wires out there that are actually 317L or 316L stainless steel welding wire. Haywire is 316L, while Gplat Elite is 317L. I have no experience with either, but I believe the resistance per foot is noticeably less than kanthal A1 or nichrome 80 and the heat-up times are shorter, which in theory should allow one to build high-powered coils with much more surface area than the kanthal equivalent would have.

They also have slightly lower melting points and the safety when heating it and inhaling stuff off of it turns a lot of people off of it. Medical grade 316L (316LVM) is used for surgical implants, but that's a little different.

It's also a bit costly and availability is scant whether you buy it brand name or track down some generic welding wire, which is probably a big part of why it hasn't been as common. For most people, the minor differences are not worth the money or the trouble. I'm surprised to hear of it being used in pre-built coils.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
All my .22 gauge builds are stainless 304.. http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=965

BTW, 304 Stainless is what Aspire is using in their new Triton Coils, which a UV forum member confirms as working with the Ijoy Asolo mod, in TC mode.

It is not at all costly

Check out http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html

Not only does the spool hold the wire, but the 0.25 Stainless Steel Aerospace Lockwire is 304 stainless, .22ga. Great to vape on. Comes in 1 lb. rolls

Malin - MS20995C Stainless Steel Safety Wire \ Lockwire, Canister, 0.025 Dia, 596 ft.
Pretty good deal for $20 with free 2 day delivery through Amazon..

You'll prolly never need to buy 22ga vape wire again, and the spool rocks.

If you look around, there are other smaller guages of Malin 304 lockwire. You'll have to use a chart to compare size to guage.

I think one lb. of 28ga stainless 394 is approx 1500 ft.

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my .22 gauge builds are stainless 304.. http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=965

BTW, 304 Stainless is what Aspire is using in their new Triton Coils, which a UV forum member confirms as working with the Ijoy Asolo mod, in TC mode.

It is not at all costly

Not only does the spool hold the wire, but the 0.25 Stainless Steel Aerospace Lockwire is 304 stainless, .22ga. Great to vape on. Comes in 1 lb. rolls

Malin - MS20995C Stainless Steel Safety Wire \ Lockwire, Canister, 0.025 Dia, 596 ft.

If you look around, there are other smaller guages of Malin 304 lockwire. You'll have to use a chart to compare size to guage.

Why did I see this after buying 50 dollars worth of kanthal and general stuff?! I'll have to look into that next week... ...good stuff.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
sweeet got a roll sitting in my cart waiting for payday. Thank canister is cool. Now hopefully I would have bombs waiting to off like my 24g roll did to me last night lol.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm a pilot, and a cheap bastard, so when one of the Engineers heard me bitching about how much Kanthol was, he handed me a 1lb. roll of the stuff. I asked at 2 local vape shops what they thought about it, and the universal response was that I would prolly die from it. (slight exaggeration), so... After 10 hours of research on the net, and seeing 304 stainless at exorbitant prices,and email exchanges with 3 metalurgists, 1 chemist and a flight surgeon, I built up a .3 single coil, and timorously vaped it.

I'm still here. I won't use anything else, even if it's the same price. I find it hard to be objective, but I get NO taste from SS. Nickle, (which I WAS cautioned to be carefull with) has a taste I can detect. Not a vile taste, but more noticible with some liquids than others. The stainless also lasts longer, and burn-cleans easier. Just wind up the mod to 11, and when the coil is brighter than a street lamp for 10 secs, let it cool, clean any remaining crud off with a wet qtip, rewick and you are back in the fight.

I've given the 304 the "torch treatment" by heating a length orange hot before wrapping the coil, but to be honest, it does not seem to make much, if any difference. I just use it straight out of the canister now.

I plan on making some complex experimental coils, and will probably temper the 304 after I have the shape and fitting of the coil nailed down. I don't know if this will make any meaningfull difference, but the Metalurgist told me when tempered, you can even use it to make springs. It will be more brittle, and less pliable though.

I'm pleased to be able to pass this on, localy they still look at me like the walking dead when I go in the vape shop. lol I was going to tell them it's ok now, I had a priest exorcise the wire, but why bother. There's one builder though who is in love with it. Kinda creepy actually. Anyhow I'm glad I could save you some bux. Cheers.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thought I would clarify one point regarding stainless.

There are actually at least two devices that can do TC with SS wire.

Anything with a DNA 200.
That crazy sexy german mod The Danny extreme v2.

Compared to ni 200 it's heaps and bounds better in every way on a TC mod that can use it properly.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just transitioned from using Ti to 317L, probably a permanent switch. SS tastes every bit as good, is easier to build with, is cheaper, has no issues being dry burned and doesn't form oxides that may be dangerous like Ti or Ni.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm using stainless in both non-Tc and TC applications. in the dna200 you can set it to run whatever wire you want. I was using nickel for Tc, and it was getting to be a pain in the ass having some toppers set for Tc and some toppers sent for non Tc mods, So for me the advantage is just grabbing what I want for the day and not having to bother with rebuilding.

The wire itself does, at least for me, seem to give a cleaner taste. how much of that is placebo, opinion, or actuality is up for debate. I'm sure a reasonable amount is in my head, but after fiddleducking with nickel for almost a year, the simplicity of SS is awesome

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fasttech has 304 & 316 SS wire now. I ordered a few spools a couple days ago to give it a go. I'm not completely sure what size I'll prefer so this seemed like a cheap way to get a few different sizes. They run from around $3-4 for a 10m spool. It takes me a long time to go through 32 feet of wire.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just saw that... I don't see a tcr in steam engine for 304 and I just got some wire in from vapordna: But at that price ill have to order a few hundred feet of 24 and 26

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Interesting thread. I think, I have som Gplat laying around somewhere. Maybe it's time to revisit making coils with it.

kevinmyfsu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can anyone comment on how SS is to build with? I have both nickel and titanium (latter the sweet spot vapors variety) and honestly they both are a pain in the ass to build with. I have health concerns about nickel and titanium is not to my taste I also constantly get hotspots or hotlegs with it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For me it's the same as dealing with Kanthal. Its a wet dream for Tc
I'm not sure if its safe to dry burn so I don't, I wipe it with an alcohol thing.
To pinch the coil I just wet it with juice nd fire it, pinch it with a ceramic tweezers, wick and roll.

By no means am I saying that's the way it is supposed to be or anything, that's just what I do. I'll be Ä«mtersted to see what others say

xlowxyotax88x

Member For 4 Years
My dad is an airplane mechanic if this stuff is what i think you all are talking about im in luck theres spools upon spools in his garage lol

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

wildchilli

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
new to vaping too but ! not new to testing if things work
had some stainless cable in the shed ok just a little 8 meters or so 6 millimetre thick split the strands of the cable after cutting a 40 cm length off
getting to the individual wires and build a coil thickness was abut the same as the 28 gauge kantral i had gotten with my first atty
but damn the recistance was low needed more wraps tried that and it got hot legs on the neg side
.. so i did a twisted and found it worked just fine no after taste no issues at all I've had that in a Atty since just re wicked with cotton after glowing it up to clean even done the lazy on the go no cotton with me stick the damn thing coils with wick still inserted straight under the tap to do a quick clean
boil out most of the water add your juice and keep vaping .. vaping a 70 vg 30 pg with some heavy flavour that tend to gunk up my coils so the quick fix on the go became a oh its this time again now rewicking is a weekly thing and the quick fix when i dont have time or just cant be bothered

can it be used sure can SS does work

Last edited:

phatdaddynxn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sticking with kanthal. I'm not saying ss is bad but who the hell knows.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, I had similar discussions about other wires. No one knows exactly how safe any of them are, including kanthal.

I am loving the SS in tc, so much easier to work with than anything.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I burn the 304 clean. Just crank your mod to 11, and pulse it. It seems to almost scare the coil gore away. Stainless also seems to cool very quickly, and that seems to suck juice through the wick quicker than a Bangcock.....!! You can hear the juice rushing in as soon as you let off the fire buttons. really noticable in my 22 guage builds.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ive noticed a lot less gunk with ss over Kanthal. I'm thinking mods are going to have to start incorporating SS compatibility with their temp control... bye bye nickel! how come nobody thunked about this before!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Ive noticed a lot less gunk with ss over Kanthal. I'm thinking mods are going to have to start incorporating SS compatibility with their temp control... bye bye nickel! how come nobody thunked about this before!
It will be a great day when the big players sx m, sigelei, ivp etc start making tc for SS. I'm using ss coil in my crown tank and love it. If it were tc compatible it would be epic. The floor is amazing

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It will be a great day when the big players sx m, sigelei, ivp etc start making tc for SS. I'm using ss coil in my crown tank and love it. If it were tc compatible it would be epic. The floor is amazing

Yeah, I'd love to see a SS update for the IPV3Li... hopefully it will be forthcoming!

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It is not at all costly

Thanks for the link! Just bought the .015, and if I got it right - it is a hair thinner than 26 gauge. The .015 comes in a 1655' spool for $21.95 shipped and there is no way I could ever go through that much wire. Maybe I will go to the vape shop that sold me kanthal for about a buck a foot back in the day and return the favor.:p

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It is not at all costly

I ordered the .015 and it does NOT work in temp control in my Sigelei 150 TC but does work good in power mode.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Most likely because your mod does not do TC for SS. There are a few just coming out now that are being equipped with SS compatible for TC but I am sure the new Sig 150 is not one of them. I am watching to see when the big players start designing their chips or offer upgrades for SS TC

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As of right Now, there are only a handful that can do tc on SS. but SS runs great in just power mode
Smok and the DNA are the only Two as of right now (that I am aware of)that can perform traditional tc with stainless.
I'm hoping that yihi decides to actually out a good update out that includes it.
Edit:: the legal vape4000 does tc with ss as well

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm hoping for an update on the IPV3 Li that adds SS TC but I'm not holding my breath. Why update when you can put out another new mod GRRRR.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I wonder if you can use either the Ni or Ti setting and set it for a lower temperature like people were doing with Ti on the Ni setting?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm hoping for an update on the IPV3 Li that adds SS TC but I'm not holding my breath. Why update when you can put out another new mod GRRRR.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I wonder if you can use either the Ni or Ti setting and set it for a lower temperature like people were doing with Ti on the Ni setting?
No shit!!!! I had a fucking baby when they announced the new chip for the sxm that would have SS capable.I have two sxm's that are like 6 months old! And a whiteout sx on preorder. thankfully cloudmaker changed my order to a DNA mod. But I, still mad as hell at yihi, why have the fucking updatable firmware if its not going to let you update the functionality?
Just proves that cloudmaker is onto something, I'll order the whiteout sx when it has the new chip in it and just update each mod as the chips are released. even though they both can bite me.
The did it for ti, .....arrrgggg off my soapbox

Last edited:

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
No shit!!!! I had a fucking baby when they announced the new chip for the sxm that would have SS capable.I have two sxm's that are like 6 months old! And a whiteout sx on preorder. thankfully cloudmaker changed my order to a DNA mod. But I, still mad as hell at yihi, why have the fucking updatable firmware if its not going to let you update the functionality?
Just proves that cloudmaker is onto something, I'll order the whiteout sx when it has the new chip in it and just update each mod as the chips are released. even though they both can bite me.
The did it for ti, .....arrrgggg off my soapbox
Doesn't that just grab you right in the balls

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Doesn't that just grab you right in the balls

BIG TIME!!! I was always buying my mods in pairs to have a backup, well fuck that shit! I have plenty of mechs that can stand in until the next generation gets put out in a few weeks, loll
I understand that china has gone capitalist now, but at the rate that they are timing new tech drops they are going to end up hurting their sales by stopping the support of previous generation gear. I know I'm not the only one who will be buying much less hardware because of it.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The X Cube 2 is supposed to do TC SS, but I have not managed to make it work, and have not heard from anybody who has. Still a few more things to try until I can say Smok is full of BS, but it has been a hassel. First, I had to update the firmware,Then find somebody with a cell that could communicate with my mod, because my cell and tablet won't, then pay for activation on SS and Ti, and I don't know about TI but the SS TC definatly did not work correctly. Yesterday, Smok put out ANOTHER firmware update, which was a real hassel as well, managed to update the mod, and now the SS and TI features I paid for are gone. Another guy I chatted with THINKS that if I re-connect with the app, it will automagicaly detect the features I paid for, and reactivate them. Pissed!!!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As of right Now, there are only a handful that can do tc on SS. but SS runs great in just power mode
Smok and the DNA are the only Two as of right now (that I am aware of)that can perform traditional tc with stainless.
I'm hoping that yihi decides to actually out a good update out that includes it.
Edit:: the legal vape4000 does tc with ss as well

Further edit: You forgot everybody's favorite mod that do temp control on all kind of wire........ lololololol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The X Cube 2 is supposed to do TC SS, but I have not managed to make it work, and have not heard from anybody who has. Still a few more things to try until I can say Smok is full of BS, but it has been a hassel. First, I had to update the firmware,Then find somebody with a cell that could communicate with my mod, because my cell and tablet won't, then pay for activation on SS and Ti, and I don't know about TI but the SS TC definatly did not work correctly. Yesterday, Smok put out ANOTHER firmware update, which was a real hassel as well, managed to update the mod, and now the SS and TI features I paid for are gone. Another guy I chatted with THINKS that if I re-connect with the app, it will automagicaly detect the features I paid for, and reactivate them. Pissed!!!

Damn I would be too.!!!

I've never owned a smoke product I but I know with the DNA ivr noticed that when slapping stays backing in and out of the menu to lock on resistance seems to give it a much better performance

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Further edit: You forgot everybody's favorite mod that do temp control on all kind of wire........ lololololol
The assholio does 'taste control ' with ss not temp control... at least that's what I thought,
ASSHOLAMIO!!!!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
The assholio does 'taste control ' with ss not temp control... at least that's what I thought,
ASSHOLAMIO!!!!
Hahahah ain't that the truth. Just wish this market would stabilize at least for 2 weeks lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hahahah ain't that the truth. Just wish this market would stabilize at least for 2 weeks lol

Ni shut! what I want to kniw is his much of it is planned!! As in, id they know they could ss, but purposely release shut to sell the same product twice

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Ni shut! what I want to kniw is his much of it is planned!! As in, id they know they could ss, but purposely release shut to sell the same product twice
I've often thought the same. What if all these devices were capable of this all along and only needed a minor code change to open it up. But instead the bastards force us to keep buying newer devices.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've often thought the same. What if all these devices were capable of this all along and only needed a minor code change to open it up. But instead the bastards force us to keep buying newer devices.

I know some of these changed necessitate new components on the boards, but to change change tcr shouldn't, unless jt has a crappy meter for resistance but its accuracy teller me that is not the case.
Adding something like escribe would need a different board m

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I know some of these changed necessitate new components on the boards, but to change change tcr shouldn't, unless jt has a crappy meter for resistance but its accuracy teller me that is not the case.
Adding something like escribe would need a different board m
It's Def crazy when you think about it like that

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The reason I purchased the Li what to forgo the process of buying a new mod every 6 weeks and just update mine.
That's why I doubled up on the SXM... seeing this crap makes me(and a few of my friends) just want to stop buying gear altogether for at least a year.
Imagine heat would be out in 12 months

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
That's why I doubled up on the SXM... seeing this crap makes me(and a few of my friends) just want to stop buying gear altogether for at least a year.
Imagine heat would be out in 12 months
Hardest part is waiting it out

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
after seimg the board companies not even waiting a year I will definitelt force myself to wait,

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think of these mods as cell phones, home theater pre-amps, PC's. Obsolete (tech wise) as soon as you get them. That's why I don't buy a shit load of them. I figure at most, 1 per advancement (that way I only need to buy 5 per week lmao :D). I bought the Asolo because it's different, was around $75, 200 watts, TC, taste control on Kanthal (something to play with ;) . First mod I've bought since the IPV3 LI. Next up is either going to be a DNA200 or one using the new SX350 chip. Hell, I might just stand pat and use what I already have. I hope these companies realize there is a point of diminishing returns. I'm at that point.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

VU Sponsors