Become a Patron!

SS316L ribbon wire and contact coils?

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have read conflicting info about SS and contact coils (i.e. that you shouldn't make contact coils with SS, then others say they do), so have always made my round wire SS coils spaced. Was wondering if flat ribbon SS wire is any different or should also be spaced? Or it doesn't matter, or...?

FTR I always vape SS wire in TC on a DNA mod. (Except SS316L mesh which I vape in power mode on a non-DNA mod. EDIT: Wrong! I vape the mesh SS in TC on DNA, and the Nichrome in PM) But the tank I'm getting the wire for will be on a DNA mod using TC unless SS ribbon is better in PM.

Opinions?

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah you read conflicting imfo on the subject of spaced vs contact because... the truth is the best depends on circomstances and PERSONAL preference.....

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some folks insist contact is BAD for TC mode.. I'm easy: I just run VW mode and do whatever works for me. SS, Kanth-A1, ni80; contact, spaced, twisted, parallel - just calc the ohms and go. Easy-peasy.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could be wrong, but I think what might be going on is that spaced coils don't produce as much hot spots as contact coils and the conventional wisdom is that glowing SS should be kept to a minimum. However, glowing your coils is necessary to workout the hot spots. So then spaced SS requires less glowing? Kinda guessing here.

I'm also thinking that while SS (but especially nickel and titanium) can have problems with overglowing, SS doesn't seem to be quite as sensitive to the overheating effects that nickel and titanium are, I mean I don't mash on the fire button at high wattages, but some moderate glowing has not melted any 316L coils for me and the toxic gas thing isn't supposed to really apply to SS.

Like I say, I could be wrong and I'm just thinking out loud.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I run ss contact coils all the time... the only time there is an issue is the event of running tc.

With tc, the coils should be spaced. It allows for the mod to more accurately regulate temperature.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually read that whole thread in one sitting the other day, but I didn't remember that about contact coils. Maybe the fact that I read it all at once is the reason I don't remember.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK everyone, thanks for the feedback. I prefer SS with TC as with max VG it's easier to get good vapor and avoid dry/burnt hits. Have a DNA 200... not familiar with replay mode but will check it out. Also good to know TC can sense temp better with spaced.

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I always space as the flavor is much better in my experience. Especially makes sense with ribbon wire as it's so thin that you'd have to do something like the tin man build for a contact coil. Btw I just tested a few different sizes of SS ribbon wire and round wire spaced parallel coils destroyed them in terms of flavor.

I wish I didn't even waste the money on it. I'm glad I tried it but yeah it sucked in comparison. I do 26g SS builds. If you do one make sure there's no spacing in between the wires themselves (but obviously you want space between wraps).

Also 28g is easier to work with in that it's easier to get out the spaces between the two wires but 26g stays in place easier. I don't mind either but for regulated mods I do 26g. I just like the way it heats up better.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always space as the flavor is much better in my experience. Especially makes sense with ribbon wire as it's so thin that you'd have to do something like the tin man build for a contact coil. Btw I just tested a few different sizes of SS ribbon wire and round wire spaced parallel coils destroyed them in terms of flavor.

Not sure I read that right. You're saying the spaced round wire was superior to the SS flat or ribbon wire?

I wish I didn't even waste the money on it. I'm glad I tried it but yeah it sucked in comparison. I do 26g SS builds. If you do one make sure there's no spacing in between the wires themselves (but obviously you want space between wraps).

Now here I assume you're talking about winding my own wire? That's a bridge too far for me. :)

Also 28g is easier to work with in that it's easier to get out the spaces between the two wires but 26g stays in place easier. I don't mind either but for regulated mods I do 26g. I just like the way it heats up better.

OK, well the SS316L round wire I have always used is 24g. I don't combine it or twist it into anything else. Just that wire using spaced 3mm - 3.5mm coils in a dual coil tank (Aromamizer). Which I always loved until I recently got a Wotofo Profile and built that with SS316L mesh... also getting a Serpent SMM at the same time which included a few Nichrome flat staple coils (contact coils).

The Profile (dripper) blows the rest out of the water for flavor (since it's a dripper), and cannot taste the SS mesh at all. (It comes with Kanthal mesh, but I prefer SS mesh.)

The Serpent is not as flavorful, of course, and I did taste some metal when the NiCr80 coil was new (s/h lightly dry burned), but don't detect a metal taste anymore.

So after vaping the Profile and Serpent for a week exclusively, went back to the Aromamizer and all I could taste was SS from the round wire, spaced coil builds. A taste I'd apparently gotten used to for so long, I wasn't picking it up until I got away from it for awhile. (Wish I could use SS mesh in that tank.)

So that's what precipitated my OP here... wondering if SS316L flat ribbon wire made with contact coils would be a better experience than the round wire. Though I realize it's all subjective, and from the replies sounds like spaced is better for TC anyway. So guess it comes down to, will the SS ribbon wire have less of a SS taste to it than the round wire. And that will be had by trying it. :)

I do have flat Nichrome on the way for the Serpent, so maybe I'll try that in the Aromamzer too and see how it goes. Just not liking that SS round wire taste anymore, and am so happy I don't have it with the SS mesh.

Last edited:

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I meant building a coil. Sounds like you do that already though. Not talking Clapton's or anything just parallel coils. If you don't know it's two wires wrapped like a single round wire build but they're running alongside each other. Drops the resistance significantly so you get lower ohm builds with a lot more surface area. I tried contact and spaced parallel builds and there's a huge taste difference. The spaced coils taste way better.

Yeah I though maybe the flat wire would taste better than my parallel builds so I tried it and it was very much lacking in comparison in terms of flavor. I know it's supposed to taste better than round wire in TC builds though. That's assuming you're using a single strand of wire though. I wish I could do TC with parallel builds but I think it messes up the TC too much for it to be reliable.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK, got it and thanks for the clarification. I remember now what parallel coils are since you explained them, but never tried them myself. (You were right, I did think you meant Claptons, which I only buy ready-made for my guitars.) :) Though I do also have SS316L round in 26g so could combine 24/26 for parallels, but as you said, would have to vape in PM then, and prefer TC for SS.

Think I will see how the NiCr80 flat wire goes in the Aromamizer (but for now my main vape is the SS316L mesh in the Profile anyway). If the NiCr80 doesn't please in the Aromamizer might try some flat SS but will hold off since it doesn't sound like there will be any improvement in the SS taste from round wire, and flat might even be more. Again, would have to try it since so much of this is subjective.

Appreciated your input. Thanks again. :cheers:

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If you want some great wire for coils get some .9mm x .3mm ni80 rectangle wire. Use less power and get better flavor with dense clouds.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you want some great wire for coils get some .9mm x .3mm ni80 rectangle wire. Use less power and get better flavor with dense clouds.

Well I am a complete idiot. What I thought I was buying was a Staple-Clapton-style wire they use in the NiCr80 staple coils that come with the Serpent... (and many other devices). I assumed "flat ribbon wire" was what that was... as everyone else already knows, it's not.

The rectangle wire sounds interesting (looked it up on eBay) but can't see enough of a close up of the wire to see what it actually is... is it a single wire strand rectangular shaped, or multi-strand wire?

I've bought wire twice now in one week I won't use (my own fault), so will be more careful the third time to make sure this one counts. Will keep this rectangular wire in mind as I also look for what I MEANT to buy last time to do a little comparison. Thanks for the tip!

VU Sponsors