Become a Patron!

SS316L Clapton Coils - Contact or Spaced ?

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, so I recently made the jump to TC mode and with this came many confusions including, of course, coil material. SS316L was all my local store had so I picked up a spool of 26+32 & a spool of 24+32 clapton. Iv mainly used the 26 gauge wire, with a 5 wrap contact build at 33 Watts (210c TC), but a friend of mine tells me that for TC mode I’d be better of using the 24 gauge clapton and instead using a spaced coil as it will improve flavour and wicking whilst in TC mode.
Iv done many google searches but there is so much conflicting information that my head hurts so once again, I thought I’d ask the experts!

Sent from my Apple Newton using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced might pop less and gunk slower. I can't say for sure if they make better flavor or not.... I do know my spaced builds give good flavor longer...

A year ago when I vaped mech only I would have sworn spaced give best flavor... now after vaping regulated a year I can only say for sure is they pop less and wicks last longer and gunk builds slower.

You won't find a definitive answer on most things vaping.... as much comes down to personally preference and ability and then further complicated by the gear you are using and your prefered way if using it.

Find what works for you dont worry so much if it right or wrong.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm very much in the ball park of Honda. You can be told by different people what their favourite builds are but it's all down to how you personally like to vape. Their capes might be too hot, too cold, too little vapour etc. Best thing to do is experiment. Take direction from people of course but don't think that because it works for someone else it'll work for you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've tried both and for me I prefer spaced because they are easier to work out hots spots (typically there are none) and have noticed less popping liquid hot magma in my mouth hole (can also be attributed to not over squonking as much as my technique is being refined).

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been doing a lot of experimentation recently however, my first spaced clapton coil popped and spat like an angry volcano, so I was surprised to hear that the opinion seems to be that spaced pop less. I’ll start building a few spaced coils and see if I can figure what I was doing wrong.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been doing a lot of experimentation recently however, my first spaced clapton coil popped and spat like an angry volcano, so I was surprised to hear that the opinion seems to be that spaced pop less. I’ll start building a few spaced coils and see if I can figure what I was doing wrong.

Bumpy coil are pop prone..... so spacing should only reduce the pops of wrapped or twisted multi wire coils....

See... it's the nooks and crannies in a build where juice collects and pool that POP.

With a spaced coil juice doesn't pool between wraps.... it flows back to the wick.

In TC I think spacing does work better IDK why. Probably had something to do with how metal acts when heated and cooled and how 1 wrap can interfere with the next.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Bumpy coil are pop prone..... so spacing should only reduce the pops of wrapped or twisted multi wire coils....

See... it's the nooks and crannies in a build where juice collects and pool that POP.

With a spaced coil juice doesn't pool between wraps.... it flows back to the wick.

In TC I think spacing does work better IDK why. Probably had something to do with how metal acts when heated and cooled and how 1 wrap can interfere with the next.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I don't space the 316 ss staggered fused clapton wire I use in my Holm Wrecker in TC mode.

But I use RTAs so it would take a hell of a lot of spit back for it to reach my mouth.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't space the 316 ss staggered fused clapton wire I use in my Holm Wrecker in TC mode.

But I use RTAs so it would take a hell of a lot of spit back for it to reach my mouth.

Funny thing is... If you read through the POPPING posts MOST are from tanks..... Yes Drippers also pop..

Also wether or not pops burns the lips has more to do with the location of coils in relation to the drip tip than the style of atty..... If you look down the tip and see a coil, Pops are likely to scorch the mouth...... Coils you cant see.... those pops are less likely to reach the mouth do to obsticles in the path. Doesn't mean theres less pop just less access or a less direct path..

But yeah fewer pops reach my lips in a bottom coil RTA than a top coil RTDA or Dripper. Just not because they pop less, but because its harder for the hot drop to reach my lips.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do like to space my coils ever so slightly in all my builds. I find that gives me fewer "atomizer short" messages, a more even burn and no popping.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When using TC I always space my coils. I have tried it both ways and get better TC results with spaced coils.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I use AVS prebuilt and wire. Almost always space, can't tell you why but I like it better.

VU Sponsors