Become a Patron!

SS316L Build Turning Coils Red and Cotton Dark...is this normal?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always been a Nichrome 80 kind of guy and I've been building for a couple of years now and have gotten fairly good with some of the advanced builds and have hit any problems that I'm sure a lot of us faced along the way, but I got stumped today and I'm still clueless as to the reasons, so, I'm reaching out.
I started working with SS316L in my tube mech and fell in love with it and started making parallel builds with it for my daily and even used it as a core for a basic 24/36 Clapton with Nichrome 80 for the 36ga, but then I thought maybe I could finally get around the ramp up time with my alien coil build by using 26/36 all SS316L so that I could run duals on my mech. Ordered the wire, built my aliens and all was well...quick ramp up (and even more importantly quick ramp down) of the coils, crisp clean flavor that I've expected from stainless, but within a few hours I noticed my Cotton was turning deep red when it has always just stayed yellow for days and the coils themselves turned very dark quickly and started to get a reddish almost rust colored hue to them (the flavor has not changed and without having looked at the Coils I would never have known anything different was going on). I was using a battle deck RDA with an AV Lyfe Captain II cap with a Comp Life tip that I had just got, so, I thought maybe that was the problem, so, I made a new set of Aliens and put them in my trusty Kennedy 24 that I've run Nichrome aliens in with this exact same Juice with no problems before and I got the same result of reddish coils and reddish/brown cotton after a couple of hours. None of my parallel or basic Clapton SS Coils did this and was just curious if anyone else has run across this. I'm using Master of Clouds wire that I've ordered from the same company many times with no issues...but maybe something with the build itself is causing it? I'm clueless. The mod I'm using is an AV Able Competition Mod and I use Sony VTC5a, Samsung 25R, and Aspire 1800 batteries exclusively, in case any of that info might help me figure out what's going on.
Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention that in hunting down the cause I have also tried switching up the Cotton I was using to wick with to see if that made a difference...tried Celtic Cotton (my favorite), Kendo Cotton, and Cotton Bacon, alas, result is the same regardless of the wicking used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I've always been a Nichrome 80 kind of guy and I've been building for a couple of years now and have gotten fairly good with some of the advanced builds and have hit any problems that I'm sure a lot of us faced along the way, but I got stumped today and I'm still clueless as to the reasons, so, I'm reaching out.
I started working with SS316L in my tube mech and fell in love with it and started making parallel builds with it for my daily and even used it as a core for a basic 24/36 Clapton with Nichrome 80 for the 36ga, but then I thought maybe I could finally get around the ramp up time with my alien coil build by using 26/36 all SS316L so that I could run duals on my mech. Ordered the wire, built my aliens and all was well...quick ramp up (and even more importantly quick ramp down) of the coils, crisp clean flavor that I've expected from stainless, but within a few hours I noticed my Cotton was turning deep red when it has always just stayed yellow for days and the coils themselves turned very dark quickly and started to get a reddish almost rust colored hue to them (the flavor has not changed and without having looked at the Coils I would never have known anything different was going on). I was using a battle deck RDA with an AV Lyfe Captain II cap with a Comp Life tip that I had just got, so, I thought maybe that was the problem, so, I made a new set of Aliens and put them in my trusty Kennedy 24 that I've run Nichrome aliens in with this exact same Juice with no problems before and I got the same result of reddish coils and reddish/brown cotton after a couple of hours. None of my parallel or basic Clapton SS Coils did this and was just curious if anyone else has run across this. I'm using Master of Clouds wire that I've ordered from the same company many times with no issues...but maybe something with the build itself is causing it? I'm clueless. The mod I'm using is an AV Able Competition Mod and I use Sony VTC5a, Samsung 25R, and Aspire 1800 batteries exclusively, in case any of that info might help me figure out what's going on.
Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention that in hunting down the cause I have also tried switching up the Cotton I was using to wick with to see if that made a difference...tried Celtic Cotton (my favorite), Kendo Cotton, and Cotton Bacon, alas, result is the same regardless of the wicking used

Strange one this first I would have put it down to the quality of the metal you bought but had a search about have a read of some of these links might shed some light on this for you ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...why_does_my_cotton_wick_turn_red_with_my_rda/

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/37yzjq/cotton_turns_orangered_color/

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/460sg8/cotton_turning_red/

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange one this first I would have put it down to the quality of the metal you bought but had a search about have a read of some of these links might shed some light on this for you ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...why_does_my_cotton_wick_turn_red_with_my_rda/

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/37yzjq/cotton_turns_orangered_color/

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/460sg8/cotton_turning_red/

Thanks for the reply. I ran across those links when researching this, too. Although it is good information to have I don't think any of those are the issues I'm having because I've changed all possible variables that I know of (different RDAs, different cotton, etc) and ran it on RDA's that I have used Nichrome 80 alien Coils in without this issue popping up and yet the only constant that remains is the fact that they are built out of SS316L and getting the same results regardless of any other variable being changed

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks for the reply. I ran across those links when researching this, too. Although it is good information to have I don't think any of those are the issues I'm having because I've changed all possible variables that I know of (different RDAs, different cotton, etc) and ran it on RDA's that I have used Nichrome 80 alien Coils in without this issue popping up and yet the only constant that remains is the fact that they are built out of SS316L and getting the same results regardless of any other variable being changed

I never noticed this when running 316L personally I'm stumped where did you get your wire from?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you using LV wire? That's usually the reason.

Edit: My MoC doesn't do that. Only lightning vape's crap wire.

Use Coil Society. They have the best wire in the price rang with great spooling. As good as anything I've used.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you using LV wire? That's usually the reason.
38c17e383540d0f90e3a960e2b0f6ff3.jpg

This is what I'm using. Made the aliens with 26/36 SS316L

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I edited.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you checked the bottom of the post screws are one of those corroding?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you checked the bottom of the post screws are one of those corroding?

No corrosion on the screws of the Battle Deck RDA or my Kennedy 24 RDA, but the same result with reddish brown cotton and coils on both. Have a Goon on order and will try it out and see if it does the same. Just made some new aliens with my nichrome 80 instead for now and the problem hasn't shown up at all...
05b342fc00fbf5d4abac494030497207.jpg

And just for comparisons sake...here is the same setup on the same RDA with the same Juice...only difference is it's made of SS316L rather than Nichrome 80. Maybe this is normal with stainless...I've just recently started using it and was curious if it's common or just me
2fdec3fda40076a96e3deec724f67d85.jpg

Last edited:

zaptear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I know this is probably not happening but I worked as a plater it to me kinda looks like your platting copper over to ur coils

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know this is probably not happening but I worked as a plater it to me kinda looks like your platting copper over to ur coils

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is that and how can it be avoided? I got my Goon in yesterday and threw a couple of my aliens in it and the process of the metal turning color has slowed, but still evident, but the cotton discoloration has sped up. Still no change in flavor, just an odd occurrence that I haven't run across before and curious as to the reasons.
5c6fa234fc39164ddd885d59b88fa61b.jpg

This is the same 26/36 SS316L Alien Coils I've made and used in the previous pics along with the same Cotton and same Juice as the previous pics...Cotton turning deep red faster in my Goon, apparently

zaptear

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I don't really think thy can happen I was a plater running power to metal to coat with another metal it's like saying Gold plated I was just say it kinda looks like that but I don't think it can happen but I also don't use copper rda's or posts

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is not what's happening.
For electrolysis to carry copper to the coil you'd need the atty suspended in a solution hooked to the positive and the coil also suspend in the solution without touching the atty hooked to the negative.

Cheap/impure SS causes this. Coil Society is affordable and near perfect wire in every way.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just thought I'd give an update...apparently it's all SS316L that turns this rusted red color when used for alien wire because I ordered 26ga and 36ga SS316L from Coil Society and had the exact same issue spring up again. I've been able to solve the problem by only using stainless for the 3 core wires and wrapping with Nichrome 80. On a side not, I am very unimpressed with the spools of Coil Society wire that I purchased. I purchased a 500 foot spool of 36ga SS316L and NiChrome 80 and though the wire quality is spot on, how it is spooled is HORRIBLE. I free-hand all of my coils without jigs or spinners or anything like that and have never had problems with Temco, Lightning Vapes, Master of Clouds or Kbee Vapes wire coming off the spool like I'm having with these spools from Coil Society. It is a knotted up mess with wire crossing over and going under in multiple place on the spool...I'm easily losing 3-4 feet of wire to get just 7-8 inches of Clapton wire just trying to work through these things. Was looking forward to using this high quality wire, but if I'm blowing through most of it cutting out knots and crossovers, it's just not worth it.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You realize they would have made it right and give you another spool, right?
Like they always do.

LV said they couldn't.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You realize they would have made it right and give you another spool, right?
Like they always do.

LV said they couldn't.

I have no doubt that that they would. Was venting more than anything, lol. Just a bit disappointed that it worked out the way it did...bad first impressions and all that, and I'm fully aware that no company is perfect and there are always hiccups every now and then, but then I realized the other spool of 36ga of another metal did the exact same thing, so, that makes it a bit more difficult to shrug off as a glitch

VU Sponsors