Squonkers are Bonkers

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the feedback JL . Was wondering about that same thing myself. Yea surprised me too. really thought they would sell quick hence my post.

All of a sudden there are a lot of cheap squonkers from China that are eating up a lot of vape budgets

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
All of a sudden there are a lot of cheap squonkers from China that are eating up a lot of vape budgets

That might be a big part of it. I think the next batch released will be non squonkers , Just parallel , series , single and regulated. As a way to test it out.:idea:

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Squonking is booming, but yeah - tons of interest in 3d printed boxes - but that might just be a trend that rolls around to other materias soon. I know I'm bored with a lot of that printed stuff (I'm getting ONE - but it's a little diff, and I just bumped into it).
And a LOT of that buying is going on over on Facebook and Instagram - get some of your customers to post and promote your mods if you're not there already...

I don't have one of yours @Sonar505, but that's just timing - I'm over-modded, and have 2 coming soon already!!
:eek:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that's just timing - I'm over-modded, and have 2 coming soon already!!
That's a new term for me! Personally, I'm under-Nuppined:vino: I know you guys are getting tired of my belly-aching but I finally found an atty I am really happy with!
I'm finding out what I like....finally! I don't particularly like boxes with squonk windows on the side, my P67 hasn't been used in a long while. I prefer the front window (opening) and the Dripbox 2 has been my daily carry. I prefer TC mode but the dual battery mod I got has taught me a new appreciation for mechs. I guess I'll have to get my butt in gear and finish the big projects around the house so I'll have some time to build my regulated squonk mod.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
@Sonar505 why do you have to post in the co-op forum only?? You're not doing a group buy of anything.

It was a compromise thrust upon me. They wanted to label me as an unlisted vendor and I would only be allowed to post in the vendor section. While I did not feel I am any kind of vendor (unlisted or otherwise) as I have no website or facebook page or any other type of page. I believe I am a hobbyist modder who makes a few mods to sell at a low price. Well the powers that be somewhat agreed and removed the badge but only allowed me to post in the CO-OP section of the forum (Still not sure why there?)

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He got over-modded for sure

They tried to slap him as a unlisted vendor and settled on selling in the co-op section instead :(
I'm not sure I understand the finer points of a listed vs. unlisted vendor but my gue$$ is that a comi$ion i$ involved?

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Alright guys and gals need a little help here.
Been a week today since I posted these for sale and nary a nibble. So obviously I made a misstep when making these so need a little feedback from you fine folks on what went wrong before I carry it on to the next batch.
Did I err on dying the wood on the 2 green ones, was it the wood choices, priced to low or high, not provide good pictures, not give a good enough comparison of the size compared to my others, squonk hole wrong size ,shape or placement. just plain ugly, (Did not know about them because of where they are posted) or any other reason you can think of. Really not sure why it is not pushing anyones buttons. So please help an old man out.

Here are some more pics to address some of these.

aYHCZUl.jpg

tmgYh6K.jpg

rmmtpuZ.jpg

Ea8kXon.jpg

ev7xicx.jpg

EGxcsr8.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Personally, I'd love to buy a couple of them, both the red and the left green one (in the top pic) would have already been bought by me the day you posted them if I could. Unfortunately I'm in a position right now where I just can't spend any money on vape stuff. But I think they are all great looking mods.

As far as anything that you should do differently, this is of course a matter of personal preference but I am not a fan of the squonk hole location. I kind of think I'd like the corner squonk hole better. But that wouldn't stop me from buying them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He got over-modded for sure

They tried to slap him as a unlisted vendor and settled on selling in the co-op section instead :(

Might be recalling it wrong but didn't similar happen on brand X forum, maybe not him exactly but similar situation?

Please note I'm not attempting to incite any trouble here. I am only desiring to understand and ensure myself that my memory does function, even if haphazardly at times.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Only a bit more mowing with the motor scythe left to catch up on today.
After this, I'll merely need to keep abreast of it, which ought not
require so much effort. Already tired & not been out to do anything.

Enjoying a Narda with a Clapton hitting around 1.30 (R) oHms, today.
Well, better get to it. Going to feed the critters, bring the laundry
up, finish what mowing remains.

Probably rack out for nap after. Another lovely day in paradise, a day
like any other day.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll join but only if they sell an exclusive RDA with the "No Squonk" logo printed on the side, and that RDA needs to be easily modded for bf so I can put it on my CV and post a handcheck to the group

You won't like their logo design. Unlike the Goon "Thunder cat" logo they use a "Lighting chicken". Also the top cap being a chartreuse does not look too well on either the brass or silver CV. I think the air flow control is also too restrictive to suit for direct lung hits.

P.S. If one cannot infer the above is sarcasm, please consult the humor man page. That is all, thank you.

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright guys and gals need a little help here.
Been a week today since I posted these for sale and nary a nibble. So obviously I made a misstep when making these so need a little feedback from you fine folks on what went wrong before I carry it on to the next batch.
Did I err on dying the wood on the 2 green ones, was it the wood choices, priced to low or high, not provide good pictures, not give a good enough comparison of the size compared to my others, squonk hole wrong size ,shape or placement. just plain ugly, (Did not know about them because of where they are posted) or any other reason you can think of. Really not sure why it is not pushing anyones buttons. So please help an old man out.

Here are some more pics to address some of these.

aYHCZUl.jpg

tmgYh6K.jpg

rmmtpuZ.jpg

Ea8kXon.jpg

ev7xicx.jpg

EGxcsr8.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.
It isnt my habit of criticising other peoples hard work but since you asked...the turn off for me would be the misfit wood joints. I can see them on all but especially the green one. The natural stained caps dont line up flush. I think people buy "custom" "handmade" products because they appreciate great craftsmanship and attention to detail. Things you cant find in most off the shelf products...fit and finish. Btw I may be more pickey than most because fine woodworking, joinery, and acoustic guitar building has been my side work/ passion for the past 10 years. If you have any questions on woodwork please feel free to ask (everything but CNC)!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think maybe you're looking at the DOOR, which can't be fit too tight...
No?
The backs look pretty nice and smooth at the joints.
Just checking...
:)

It isnt my habit of criticising other peoples hard work but since you asked...the turn off for me would be the misfit wood joints. I can see them on all but especially the green one. The natural stained caps dont line up flush. I think people buy "custom" "handmade" products because they appreciate great craftsmanship and attention to detail. Things you cant find in most off the shelf products...fit and finish. Btw I may be more pickey than most because fine woodworking, joinery, and acoustic guitar building has been my side work/ passion for the past 10 years. If you have any questions on woodwork please feel free to ask (everything but CNC)!

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think maybe you're looking at the DOOR, which can't be fit too tight...
No?
The backs look pretty nice and smooth at the joints.
Just checking...
:)
Im just really anal...sorry. I know the door cant be fit too tight but the radius on the edges and corners arnt uniform (solution 1/4 round flush router bit) and theres cross grain sanding marks. I understand good tools are expensive and it took me years to afford the good stuff. If you cant afford the tools then you gotta put in alot of sweat equity to get the nice results. They look solid no doubt id be extactic if he could get these little things squared away and have a really beautiful product!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Im just really anal...sorry. I know the door cant be fit too tight but the radius on the edges and corners arnt uniform (solution 1/4 round flush router bit) and theres cross grain sanding marks. I understand good tools are expensive and it took me years to afford the good stuff. If you cant afford the tools then you gotta put in alot of sweat equity to get the nice results. They look solid no doubt id be extactic if he could get these little things squared away and have a really beautiful product!

They would also cost a lot more than the asking price

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Juicy's got a real point there - these are "hobby/craft" mods Sonar's selling for $70.
In a market where people are buying plastic mods from a 3D printer at DOUBLE that all day long (not even counting the ones that sell for double and triple THAT because of exclusivity and such).
And there's some really nicely finished and fitted craft stab wood mods I like to ponder - they're over $400.

I'm not disagreeing or discounting your points - just kind of supporting that I think Sonar's stuff is nice, and well worth the price, and that they could/should sell as they are - I think they need some broader visibility!

They would also cost a lot more than the asking price

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm not disagreeing or discounting your points - just kind of supporting that I think Sonar's stuff is nice, and well worth the price, and that they could/should sell as they are - I think they need some broader visibility

I agree with your agreement, hahaha

They are great hand made mods - I own two - a single and a series and those fuckers HIT

And they are lovely for a very modest price

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These marks look like they come from a bandsaw. A tip here that probably wouldnt cost much more would be to build a jig to cut the end caps on a table saw (1/16" oversize") then use a flush down spiral router bit and some light sanding to get them to final dimension.
f2cc5f58d5e2254e9b8f14ab0e2311ab.jpg

This method would minimize these little issues too.
2da357443ba19f412a55d475c3d62ef7.jpg

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with your agreement, hahaha

They are great hand made mods - I own two - a single and a series and those fuckers HIT

And they are lovely for a very modest price
Omg Im an idiot that is VERY reasonable. I have to RTFF before nitpicking. I really thought these were aimed at a different market. However! If he does have access to a router table and a tablesaw he could still learn a few techniques to make them faster and better!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Sonar is an amazing hobbyist - heck, I'd get more if I wasn't about to embark on an expensive vacation

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sonar is an amazing hobbyist - heck, I'd get more if I wasn't about to embark on an expensive vacation
I sincerly respect that. Hope i didnt offend. Unfortunately I latch onto every hobby and overkill everything. Ive said it before its a character flaw. If you ever need some guidance on the woodworking aspect please feel free to ask Sonar.

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Excellent, cheap ass Squonkins!

Aeronaut 24 (V2), KLS and the Armor 1.0
Xtk5kmul.jpg

I had to take the staple staggered clapton out of the Areonaut, the Wraith just doesn't have the balls to run it properly. I replaced it with a simple 4mm 22g build, I really need a dual battery squonker...

The Armor 1.0 is one tasty little RDA, it replaced the Wasp on the first build without any hesitation.
LArxYdRl.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
<Mild Soap Boxing>

Giving a Fuck In Perspective

"The way I see it, there are three options regarding this statement,
..."
"Number one: This is true, and who gives a fuck? Number two: This is not
true, and who should give a fuck? And number three: This is half-true
and should we really give a fuck?" -- John McEnroe 2017

His comment was made regarding Margaret Court's extremely hate filled
and homophobic comments in public. Leave it McEnroe to aptly put
giving a fuck into perspective.

</Mild Soap Boxing>

Hahaha! I have you all fooled. Last night I thought "ya know, I can try 30 awg Kanthal and make it down to .06 oHms." About fifteen minutes of numbing frustration later, I built two coils out of 28 awg at 6 wraps round a 3.5 mm ID. That let me have exactly 1 oHm net for the dual coil build on the Goon LP. :) It is doing quite well too. Can chuck some nice thick clouds.

What do I have you fooled about? Not a thing, that is the foolery of it. Ha! ;) :p :)

Ah yes! :) I kind of have a ... day off, today. No mowing until tomorrow & no laundry or housekeeping for today, no honey do's on the docket either. Woot! Now I have to figure out where the fuses got left, ... hurh, erm ....

Last edited:

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Omg Im an idiot that is VERY reasonable. I have to RTFF before nitpicking. I really thought these were aimed at a different market. However! If he does have access to a router table and a tablesaw he could still learn a few techniques to make them faster and better!

I've got 3 of sonars mods and another on the way. If you make the door fit any tighter, they won't fit when the wood expands. I live in a humid area and have noticed the expansion/contraction a few times for sure.

Also, I've never had an issue with the speed that sonar works.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wicked Gene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I got this atty from a guy at work a few weeks ago and have been trying to find the right build for it. Well I finally got a build I like, 26g 316 twisted ohming out at .25 and I love it. I know it's a clone but don't know of what. Any one got any clue? I wonder how it compares to an authentic? Any feed back is appreciated, thanks.
e5bff8fb5f966e61ea7d81fea55dac8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I got this atty from a guy at work a few weeks ago and have been trying to find the right build for it. Well I finally got a build I like, 26g 316 twisted ohming out at .25 and I love it. I know it's a clone but don't know of what. Any one got any clue? I wonder how it compares to an authentic? Any feed back is appreciated, thanks.

It looks like the IAI V2.Is it a 3 piece rda,the bottom deck,an inner airflow thing,then the outer cap?

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That is a clone of the IAI rda. I can't remember who makes the authentic.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, hey. Don't fuck with sonar. He's a bonker. I mean it. If I had two fucking cents to rub together I'd be another satisfied customer..

In the same ship as well. I'll need to save my pennies, but yes, I've admired the mods sonar makes.

Wicked Gene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's made by vscmod from Japan, one of those FB things... :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1786288134947890/

I have the SXK clone and it is a great little RDA.

Thanks for the info. I really like this little atty. I will not be joining a group just to get an authentic... Lol I'll stick with the clone and maybe pick up another.
Thanks again Bonkers!

VU Sponsors