Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took a page from @JuicyLucy 's book of coils and made a fused 28gx2/38g clapton for the Hadaly! I liked it before, I love it now ! Worth mentioning, if I twisted the wire first and then claptoned, the resistance was higher than on the one claptoned first and then twisted.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hav

Have you tried the 32x3 in the same wire? Any difference in ramp-up or cooldown?
Looking at the options now, just curious if I should try both...

I have not - but that will probably be my next purchase

All the other wire I got from them has just been regular SS - except for the tri-braid. That was way too hot for me and I PIFed it

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Indeed.
I'm currently stuck on single-strand coils, 24g SS316L at around .5
Though I do miss claptons for the flavor sometimes, so I'm branching back out. Looks like I'll add both to the cart!
Thanks ma'am

Edit: except his beast, which is pushing me back to Clapton-style
69kir4y.jpg

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
try taking your favorite twisted build (mine was 3x28 gauge ss) and hammering it flat....better surface contact with the wick...easily on par with some of the more fancy builds flavor wise, and while it can be a tad time consuming, not nearly as much as doing staples, aliens, etc...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Indeed.
I'm currently stuck on single-strand coils, 24g SS316L at around .5
Though I do miss claptons for the flavor sometimes, so I'm branching back out. Looks like I'll add both to the cart!
Thanks ma'am

Edit: except his beast, which is pushing me back to Clapton-style
69kir4y.jpg

The clapton wire I'm using will ramp up a lot faster than the single 24 g single you are using - if that matters to you either way

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The clapton wire I'm using will ramp up a lot faster than the single 24 g single you are using - if that matters to you either way
Yassss that's exactly what I want.
Smaller single-gauge gives good ramp-up time but not the heat or flavor I like. The twisted fused sounds like my thing.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The largest I ever used was 26G and it was too slow for my liking

The 30/2 is giving about twice the flavor with no ramp up

My experience with clapton wire is very limited so I'm a little worried about folks following my example :p when there are others here that are much more seasoned in this particular art, lol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The largest I ever used was 26G and it was too slow for my liking

The 30/2 is giving about twice the flavor with no ramp up

My experience with clapton wire is very limited so I'm a little worried about folks following my example :p when there are others here that are much more seasoned in this particular art, lol
One of the many reasons why I love SS, lower resistance wire so it needs thinner gauge for where I like to Vape at which is around 0.2Ω.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of the many reasons why I love SS, lower resistance wire so it needs thinner gauge for where I like to Vape at which is around 0.2Ω.

I couldn't get over the difference in taste that I noticed going from kanthal to SS. Ni80 was a no-go for me.
Much easier to work with also!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't get over the difference in taste that I noticed going from kanthal to SS. Ni80 was a no-go for me.

That surprised me too

However, I seem to get about 6 weeks from SS coils (straight wire) but could get about 3 months from the same build kanthal

It's worth it for the better flavor (usually) but wish I could get more time from straight SS builds.

The SS claptons seem to last longer, my oldest one is two months and it's going strong still with a weekly burn, rewick

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Need more people working with 430 stainless. Faster ramp up time than 316L and it's slightly higher ohms. It's meant for TC but it's really good in mechs.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Need more people working with 430 stainless. Faster ramp up time than 316L and it's slightly higher ohms. It's meant for TC but it's really good in mechs.

Huh, AVS says their 430 is lower ohms

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, that's what I meant. Way too many tabs open

I guess some of the 430 SS contains nickel - hence the TC only "rule"

AVS says their's is nickel free

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I guess some of the 430 SS contains nickel - hence the TC only "rule"

AVS says their's is nickel free

430 is nickel free, or it's supposed to if it's legit

Unkamen sells 430. Crazy Wire does as well but I really don't like their wire. Noticed AVS was selling it as well a week or 2 ago (though they're using gauges I haven't seen before)

Last edited:

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
that is what I am using in my 3x28 gauge hammered build ;)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
New Narda single hole slam cap. Patiently awaiting a white orca from you know who.

a8c0782fbd9a7a3700ca70394b146ec8.jpg

Love that red door

Reminds me of a candy machine this store used to have when I was a kid

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
try taking your favorite twisted build (mine was 3x28 gauge ss) and hammering it flat....better surface contact with the wick...easily on par with some of the more fancy builds flavor wise, and while it can be a tad time consuming, not nearly as much as doing staples, aliens, etc...

* jots down note, checks his wire supply and ponders a 4 strand 32 awg twisted build hammered out, rubs chin fur and nods going "hm, hm, hm ...", grins *

My white Kennedy 24 2-post arrived today with squonk pin.
Half hour into this thing with a basic round wire build and I like it on my CoV Wraith.

This looks nice although, the white would drive me sane. Silver nearly does as well for the continuous desire to keep it all sparkling clean. This is not genuinely an obsession though, could be easily enough but I resist it.

Alright. I might try some. Hope it heats up quickly enough to suit me. What I tried from @JuicyLucy of Stu's shit did not but then again, I had not built much at that point either. I've gained more experience now, or at least hope I have. :)

Kind of an off the wire moment, I can smell Epsom salts despite my wife saying it has no scent. That is germane because I suffer congenital anosmia. I too noted a small difference between SS and Kanthal, it is possibly a larger difference for those who smell and better taste than I, at least comparatively so.

And yes, I know me "smelling" a non-scented thing is likely "all in my head" and that is okay. :) There is much with me that is "all in my head". *grins, chuckles*

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a Pico Squeeze this week to go with my Coppervape. The Pico is tiny paired with a small rda. I like it so far. Hopefully it lasts longer than the Dripbox.

Chris

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
* jots down note, checks his wire supply and ponders a 4 strand 32 awg twisted build hammered out, rubs chin fur and nods going "hm, hm, hm ...", grins *

Not only would a 4 x 32 twist hammered flat perform nicely, it would look pretty dang cool too.
multi strands (above 2) when hammered always reminds me of bracelet links. You'll be vaping on jewelry ;)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not only would a 4 x 32 twist hammered flat perform nicely, it would look pretty dang cool too.
multi strands (above 2) when hammered always reminds me of bracelet links. You'll be vaping on jewelry ;)

Kinky. ;) :D Ja rine, you trying to take my breath away? *chuckles & LOL* Now, i am going to make up some hammered out 4 x 32 twisted, just to see how pretty it burns and glows. Wonder if it'll look like rose gold, hm? hehe.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No. It should look neat enough not CS, being 22mm

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
You'd know better. Some day, when I grow up, I'll make a box mod but for now I'll just buy and enjoy them. Granted, making your own gives it that extra special something but for now, I'll just look and admire.

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just black CF :)

Mmmmm black on black
No. It should look neat enough not CS, being 22mm

a 1mm thick landing pad disappears under any atty. not necessary at all.
The orca mech enclosures benefit from the countersink because the pad comes sooooo close to the edge, but this one will be invisible!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow check out that squonker e8 deal in the classifieds

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kinky. ;) :D Ja rine, you trying to take my breath away? *chuckles & LOL* Now, i am going to make up some hammered out 4 x 32 twisted, just to see how pretty it burns and glows. Wonder if it'll look like rose gold, hm? hehe.
38f82dbcfbe5a69bebb7b31ee61e6b62.jpg
this is what 3 strands looks like hammered....much like a necklace or bracelet chain to me :p

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
top cap, took me a good 15 minutes of plugging the tubing and squeezing the bottle to get a good seal
I never had a problem with the top caps, but the batch of bottles I bought I've had for over a year, perhaps the newer ones have different threads.

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
quite the process in getting super soft bottles to seal properly

Yes, it's kind of a pain. Speaking of this, I bought the big 100 count bag of the O-rings that have been suggested on Facebook to help. They kind of work, but you have to be careful to actually make a seal with them.

If anyone wants a few to try PM me and we can work something out for a buck or so if you trust an envelope and stamp. Only a few people though because I still want some after :D

Last edited:

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I now have one 6ml and one 8.5ml Cappy bottle. Might be too soft, depending on the squonk action you are looking for. I also ordered some of the new Lukkos bottles to try.

Also in upcoming squonk mail: DPM Li-Mo DNA75 from the Philippines, a 3d printed mech from T3 Mods (Facebook group) that I won a raffle for and a NoFckGiven DNA75 from NoName Mods.

Last edited:

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never had a problem with the top caps, but the batch of bottles I bought I've had for over a year, perhaps the newer ones have different threads.
I did read that there was a bad batch. They were replacing them for people but I didn't bother as mine were OK once I did the lighter trick.

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I did read that there was a bad batch. They were replacing them for people but I didn't bother as mine were OK once I did the lighter trick.
Lighter trick? I missed that one.

VU Sponsors