Become a Patron!

Squonk d what?

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's with all this squonking...

Seriously though... When squonking how does one know how much juice to pump in? Is it just trial and error or am I missing something?

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
It is only a little bit of trial and error. If you have been dripping in the past then you already know what kind of rda and build you like. So the 2 things you need to discover when squonking are. How long and hard you need to push the bottle and how many puffs you can get before you push again. First one is easier if you remove the top and look at the coil and wick as you are pushing. In a short time you will get a feel for it and before you know it you will be doing what is called blind squonking. The second part you also have to try out a few times before you get a feel for the taste of the wick getting dry. There is no magic number to it as your equipment, coil,wick and individual taste all play there parts in getting a satisfying to you vape.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't overthink it. The advantage to bottom feeding is it doesn't require three hands to keep an rda going.

Once you have the feel for it squonking allows you to achieve a more consistent flow of liquid to your wick. You aren't always riding that line between an overfilled rda - is it an rda or an rdta anyway? - or wondeing how much farther you can push things before you run into a dry hit. Just squonk and feed whenever you want - any excess is going to get pulled back into the feed bottle. Takes all the hassle out of dripping.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I don't have any actual squonkers, but I use RDA pretty much exclusively. I find, that unless I am going balls out for clouds, that my vape gets a bit... "dry" a couple puffs before i HAVE to wick. Not a "dry hit" just not as much vapor and a cottony taste (like that first puff on a new wick-although not burnt).I figure it is the same way with squonking.. just a different method of getting your wick wet.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a hell of a lot more convenient method of getting your wick wet. You aren't stuck with an excess pool of liquid in the bottom of the atty - which can get cooked or leak - and you never have to have a wick going dry. It's a single handed operation to keep the wick fed to your liking.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It's a hell of a lot more convenient method of getting your wick wet. You aren't stuck with an excess pool of liquid in the bottom of the atty - which can get cooked or leak - and you never have to have a wick going dry. It's a single handed operation to keep the wick fed to your liking.
If you are cooking your juice, there is something wrong with your build. Which would amount to the same thing on either a dripper or squonker. You don't want burned juice running back into your tank either.
I'm not saying I wouldn't use a squonker, just that I don't actually have one. lol. Since I get 6 to 10 vapes off a single drip, I can't see any value to purchasing one, for me, that is. I may get one eventually. I like the idea of the wick drawing up to the coil, rather than dripping into my air holes if i don't drip just exactly right.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
With a squonk atty there never is juice sitting in the base of the atty, so there is no cooked liquid to get pulled back into the feed bottle. But with dripping it always seems to be a challenge: How much can you drip in there without creating a performance problem or a flat out mess.

Of course, then there's that whole dripping while driving thing...

VU Sponsors