Squid Game Creator Is Already Talking to Netflix About a Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Squid Game creator Hwang Gon-hyuk has confirmed that he’s already talking to Netflix about a second and third season of the hit Korean TV show.

During an interview with Korean broadcaster KBS (via The Korean Times) the 50-year-old South Korean filmmaker revealed that Squid Game will likely be back.

“I'm in talks with Netflix over season 2 as well as season 3,” he said. “We will come to a conclusion any time soon.”

This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. After all, Squid Game landed the biggest series launch ever on Netflix with its debut in September 2021. Additionally, it’s expected to create over $900 million in value for the streaming service.

So, it’s easy to see why Netflix would be keen to see Squid Game return.

Although the show has only been out for a couple of months, there’s already been talk of a second season, with Hwang previously confirming that Season 2 of Squid Game is coming.

“There's been so much pressure, so much demand and so much love for a second season,” he revealed. “So, I almost feel like you leave us no choice! But I will say there will indeed be a second season. It's in my head right now. I'm in the planning process currently. But I do think it's too early to say when and how that's going to happen.”

Although the Squid Game creator wouldn’t reveal any details about the upcoming second season, he did confirm that protagonist Seong Gi-hun (played by Lee Jung-jae) will return.

“I will promise you this, Gi-hun will come back,” he revealed. “He will do something for the world.”

Additionally, he has revealed that the Squid Game follow-up may not focus on the contestants, instead exploring the role of the Korean police in proceedings. Despite the show’s overnight success, it turns out that Squid Game was in development for 10 years, after its creator failed to bring the project from script to screen.

Squid Game is available to stream now on Netflix.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors