Become a Patron!

Spaced coil or Contact coil for RTA?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of peeps like spaced including me for tc or just wattage, makings getting the hot spots out a non issue & peeps say it improves flavor. Cleaning spaced or contact coils for me are the same.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO spaces v. contact is a question of heat retention. Contact coils hold heat, and are therefore great on mechanical setups as subsequent hits have a decreased ramp up. On regulated devices, however, the same voltage/wattage is applied every time, so ramps are reduced. I find I prefer the even heating (and cooling) of spaced coils on regulated devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I always used spacing on my straight wire builds to maximize coil to cotton contact area, but sometimes do not space on my fused claptons or exotic builds.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always use contact coils. I don't tc ever either. To each their own. Give it a try

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Don't you find with contact coils that the metal isn't spanning across enough of the cotton?

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That part depends on what type of coil you build. I currently have a 2x28 gauge fused Clapton with 36gauge wrapped 6 times with a 24 gauge parallel. That is a contact coil which spans post to post on a velocity style deck.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Agreed. fused Claptons I don't space. Straight wire I do.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never noticed a difference between them unless I was in tc. Even then, use a good tc board like the dna or fsk, and everything worked fine. For the most part I use 'exotic' coils anyways.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try both and find out what you like. If I remember right contact could heat up faster than spaced.

Also as far as regular coils go I used to do a 6 wrap 28 gauge contact coil and had to do tricky stuff with the leads to get them centered between the posts

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I use spaced Ni200 when I get on my TC kick,
For regulated i'll generally just make contact coils .
Depends on my mood at the time,,,, ymmv.

VU Sponsors