Become a Patron!

Sour Flavor - Fouled Coils

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've recently started experimenting with sour flavoring (TFA) and it seems that it's fouling my coils very quickly, like after a couple of tanks. My coils turn black and I can scrape gunk off of them. And it tastes burnt but not quite like burnt cotton. Sucks! It's really too bad because I enjoy this flavor. I have a lemon/lime flavor (also TFA) and I believe it also does the same thing. Anyone else experience this? Is there another brand of sour flavor that doesn't do this?

Thanks for any insight.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've recently started experimenting with sour flavoring (TFA) and it seems that it's fouling my coils very quickly, like after a couple of tanks. My coils turn black and I can scrape gunk off of them. And it tastes burnt but not quite like burnt cotton. Sucks! It's really too bad because I enjoy this flavor. I have a lemon/lime flavor (also TFA) and I believe it also does the same thing. Anyone else experience this? Is there another brand of sour flavor that doesn't do this?

Thanks for any insight.

Can't help you with the sour flavor. But..

I had the same issue, with my ADV. I haven't managed to fully cure the problem. But I have slowed it down.

I opened my coils up (more spacing) and increased the diameter by .5mm. This gained me a few more tanks before needing to clean the coil, and rewick.

But I certainly understand the burnt taste. I pull the cotton out of the coil, and it's clean. With no evidence of burning on my TC. However, using Kanthal in power mode. The cotton is generally so brown, I can't tell if it's burned or not.

Sometimes the taste will pass after a few hits. Other times rewicking and cleaning the coil is the only way to rid myself of it.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thanks for any insight.
then dont use it

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nude Nicotine Sour: http://www.nudenicotine.com/product/citric-acid-solutions-5-15/

Flavor West Sour: http://flavorwest.com/index.php/sour.html
This one is similar to lemon juice with a tad bit more sweetness.

You could also try getting yourself a bottle of citric acid in the canning section of your grocery store. It makes anything you want sour, and a little goes a long way.

Sour additives are acids. TFA Sour is malic acid. Lemon or lime juice works very well, similar to citric acid...

Thanks. I appreciate the advice and info, unlike the other BS left here.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks. I appreciate the advice and info, unlike the other BS left here.
I have utilized both the TFA Sour, and NN Citric Acid (15% ethyl alcohol), one at a time. However, haven't noticed anything about gumming up the coils quickly. In my try and error mixes, I learned, not to go above 2% with the citric acid. Otherwise, the juice will taste real funny (not good!).
What else are you using in your juice? It might be something else gumming up your coils.

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Everything else I've been using has been the same for a while - I have a handful of staples that I use and I've never had any issues with gunky coils or awful taste (except for caramel but I hardly ever use that due to it doesn't taste very good to me)... unless of course I jacked up the wicking. This issue is definitely a result of the sour and/or lemon lime... I suppose it could be that mixing with some of my tried and true flavors are making matters worse - watermelon, grape candy, strawberry, ripe apple, green apple, blackberry. I'll experiment with your suggestions and see what happens, though. It's not a deal breaker, by any means, I just really enjoyed the different taste of citrus and the sour flavor... I love sour jolly ranchers lol

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have utilized both the TFA Sour, and NN Citric Acid (15% ethyl alcohol), one at a time. However, haven't noticed anything about gumming up the coils quickly. In my try and error mixes, I learned, not to go above 2% with the citric acid. Otherwise, the juice will taste real funny (not good!).
What else are you using in your juice? It might be something else gumming up your coils.

What's interesting is the burnt taste really has the sour/citrusy aftertaste. At first I thought it was my cotton, but it's definitely the new flavors... I may be using too much - I'll add 1 ml or so to 10-15 ml. Otherwise I can taste the sour! May be it wasn't meant to be. It's okay if so.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As mentioned, I use max. 2% of the Citric Acid, which is around 1 ml in a 55 ml finished juice. So, yes, way too much.
I'm still experimenting on a sour apple myself. I still don't get the sour taste I'd like to have.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using Heartland Vapes' sour and I'm experiencing the same thing. I don't recall having this issue with TFA. Thinking about using some lemon juice, but I really don't want a lemon flavor in my sour strawberry watermelon mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you tried nudenicotine's flavoring and if so what do you think?
The only flavor I keep buying from Nude Nicotine is called Island Tobacco. I use 1% NN Island Tobacco and 0.5% TFA Sweetener (10% Sucralose solution).

tchthsky

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using Heartland Vapes' sour and I'm experiencing the same thing. I don't recall having this issue with TFA. Thinking about using some lemon juice, but I really don't want a lemon flavor in my sour strawberry watermelon mix.

I was using quite a bit of TFA sour, at least 20% and based on other feedback that was probably the issue... IDK, maybe my taste buds just aren't as sensitive; I liked the sour strong.

I replaced my coils and went back to not using sour and it's like I'm experiencing vaping for the first time all over again lol. I can't believe how terrible it made my coils and now much I got used to it (I made quite a few small batches of various sour mixes).

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem without sour in particular, is that it will diminish with steeping. I blow through 250 ml in about a week and half of my mix and by the end I can tell it's starting to fade.

If you're mixing big batches you may consider scaling it down and mixing more often. I use around 2%.

I'm also finding I need to dry burn my coils every other day or so, which is annoying.

Thanks for any insight.

I know this post is a bit dated, but I feel compelled to respond because I have very similar concerns. Over the course of a week, my juice has lost the sour flavor and tastes extremely bland. It's not gunking up my coils (which would be a sure sign of an illegitimate juice) but it's also not turning yellow. When exposed to light, a legitimate vape juice containing nicotine will start to yellow. Sour Vape - Killin' it has remained crystal clear for the entire time I've had it so something about this juice is off. Can't say exactly what, but the loss of flavor and failure to yellow are major signs that this juice is a bottle of shit.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Many of my tart/sour flavorings fade out kind of quickly. I use those in smaller mixes, enough for maybe a week. You can perk them back up sometimes, just adding that flavoring back in small amounts.

VU Sponsors