Become a Patron!

Someone with a proper grasp of physics please explain "Yihi Joules"

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
(If you don't fully understand the difference between power and work, and what the Joule unit is, please refrain from offering a technical explanation in this thread)

Ever since Yihi came up with their "Joule" temp control chipset, I've always avoided their mods. I prefer DNA boards, which use units that have a real meaning. But... I had the opportunity to purchase a brand-new SXmini T-class for a mere 80 euros this weekend, and it's actually a nice mode for 30mm atomizers - the silly spinner thing notwithstanding. So I relented, and I am now the proud owner of a mod that works very well but makes no sense to me.

So, with DNA boards, I understand how TC works: it tries to hit the set temperature, unless it goes over the set power. Or said another way, it has two limits - temperature and power - and it tries not to go over whichever it hits first. Easy and understandable.

With the Yihi chipset, it seems to work exactly the same way, only the set power is in Joules, not in Watts. It makes zero sense to me, as the Joule is a unit of *work*, not power. Anybody who went to high-school and didn't skip physics class knows that. Trouble is, I tried googling a logical explanation for that weird choice of unit, but couldn't find much because it would seem many vapers have completely skipped physics in high-school - not that that prevents them from opening their trap on the subject, mind you...

After experimentiong with the T-class a bit, I've come to the conclusion that the Joule unit used in the Yihi chipset is actually Watts, and Yihi just changed W to J on the screen to shirk Evolv's patent. I mean, no other explanation fits, and if I read W instead of J, the SXmini works exactly like any of my DNA mods in TC mode does.

Does anybody have any insight on the subject? Am I missing something that would make the use of Joules as a true unit of work relevant in the Yihi chipset?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Unless there is a fixed time setting involved in Yihi's TC mode they (watt/joule) would have to be used interchangeably at a 1:1 ratio.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I have heard as well, it is or is very close to a 1:1. They did it to avoid using the same term as evolv for fear of copyright or some shit but a watt is an age old measurement unit, can't see how you are stepping on anyone's toes with that one.

Seat of the pants, a joule is equivalent to a watt based on using a yihi sx mini board for many years... 50j put out like it was 50w.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless there is a fixed time setting involved in Yihi's TC mode they (watt/joule) would have to be used interchangeably at a 1:1 ratio.

So what you're saying is: unless there's a time period to be set somewhere in the settings (there isn't), Yihi Joules are to be understood as real world Watts. Is that it?

In that case, I think we understand the same thing - i.e. that Yihi Joules aren't a unit of work but a made-up lawyer-proof unit of power :)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seat of the pants, a joule is equivalent to a watt based on using a yihi sx mini board for many years for exactly one second... 50j put out like it was 50w during one second.

There. Fixed that for you :)

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
So what you're saying is: unless there's a time period to be set somewhere in the settings (there isn't), Yihi Joules are to be understood as real world Watts. Is that it?

In that case, I think we understand the same thing - i.e. that Yihi Joules aren't a unit of work but a made-up lawyer-proof unit of power :)

Yeah man. Unless that button worked for the exact same amount of time each time the button gets pressed there is no difference. There cannot be since the calculation would be missing a required variable.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There. Fixed that for you :)

I can't say that, never timed the button press on either dna or yihi.

But I did get the Mini J close to when it came out, used for a long time, tore it apart and put the chip in a dual 18650 enclosure and just put it on the shelf last year when I switched to squonking so I have a lot of time in the saddle with the J chip.

I agree that it was lawer innitiated without any real world need... watts would have been fine and is what they are calling a J.

If you want to fix it, just cover that part of the screen that shows J and write a W on it.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want to fix it, just cover that part of the screen that shows J and write a W on it.

Good idea, that. I'll crack out the bottle of white-out then. It'll be easier than correcting the firmware :)

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anybody have any insight on the subject? Am I missing something that would make the use of Joules as a true unit of work relevant in the Yihi chipset?
What's the big deal? It makes every bit as much sense in this application as Watts. Neither make any sense. A mod is a power source. Power sources provide voltage, not wattage. A variable wattage mod would be similar to a car with a horsepower gauge. It might be interesting to have for curiosity sake but it is completely irrelevant for the daily usage of your automobile. If your instrument cluster had a speedometer that was so small you couldn't see it while keeping your eyes on the road to make room for that big horsepower gauge, most people wouldn't want the car. But everybody wants their mods that way anymore. Go figure.

VapeNMirrors

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Joule is the correct unit. It describes the energy that will be used when the mod is firing. How long that's done is Watts.

The DNA is somewhat incorrect, Watts, is really MAX Watts; which isn't even a unit of measure.

Consider any TC mod: Set to 100 "units" but for TC it only needs 50 units because the temp is reached and takes little to sustain.

Here Yihi uses Joules for units, which represent the firing energy of the mod, how long this occurs is Watts. In our example, if our puff was 1 sec. We fire at 100J on a duty cycle and only consumed 50J/sec == 50W.

For DNA, and other mods, the units are incorrect but relatable. We fire with up to 100 MAX Watts (energy, not power) and use half and consume 50W.

So for sake of relating, think of Joules as Max Wattage.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors