Become a Patron!

Some VV/VW Questions

Ok so I am fairly new to vaping and I am not sure if I get the VV/VW concept. I understand that a VV/VW mod give a more consistent vape because it is regulated the same every time. What I dont understand is the Power/voltage behind it. Let me see if I can explain myself.

According to www.steam-engine.org calculator my go to build which is .35ohm dual coil, on mech mod with a full [email protected] would be vaping at around 50w. Same rig with a fairly dead [email protected] would be vaping at about 40w.

So wouldn't vaping some the more popular 30-40 watt boxes, even at full power, be like using a mech mod with a dead batt?

I do understand there are big box mods with double batteries out there in the 100w-150w range, but I am trying to compare apples to apples.

Am I not just better off going with a MEch mod, getting full power all the time, and dealing with the natural curve of battery drainage? Or am I not understanding the way this works?

THANKS

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am sure the mech mod folks will be here before long to answer that question better than I can.

That being said, I prefer the regulated devices because of all the built in protections.

I have several of them including the Sigelei 100 watt mod.

And IMHO it will do as well for you as a mech with the proper batteries.

Now for the spam of the day, while you are waiting for more answeres, if you have not already voted, please go and vote for The Vaping Underground for Forum of the Year!

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...for-the-vaping-underground.44182/#post-247145

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so I am fairly new to vaping and I am not sure if I get the VV/VW concept. I understand that a VV/VW mod give a more consistent vape because it is regulated the same every time. What I dont understand is the Power/voltage behind it. Let me see if I can explain myself.

According to www.steam-engine.org calculator my go to build which is .35ohm dual coil, on mech mod with a full [email protected] would be vaping at around 50w. Same rig with a fairly dead [email protected] would be vaping at about 40w.

So wouldn't vaping some the more popular 30-40 watt boxes, even at full power, be like using a mech mod with a dead batt?

I do understand there are big box mods with double batteries out there in the 100w-150w range, but I am trying to compare apples to apples.

Am I not just better off going with a MEch mod, getting full power all the time, and dealing with the natural curve of battery drainage? Or am I not understanding the way this works?

THANKS

Your scenerio, if you prefer the vape at 50w, is setup to have a 30w-40w regulated to be a failure from the start.... but...

If you get a mod capable of the wattage you want to vape at... then the VW mod would maintain the output to the setting you have it set for until the battery is drained. With the mech... as you stated it would start at the 50w and then finish with 3.7v ( you can actually go to 3.4v but that is another subject ) with 40w of power. But if you get a regulated mod capable of delivering 50w with that coil... then it will maintain the 50w output until the battery is drained to the point that you stop vaping it at ( ie 3.7v or 3.4v whatever you set as the lowest you want to take it )

Things to keep in mind when selecting a regulated mod. They have various limits as well. For example the wattage range they will work within can also be limited by their voltage range they work with... or their max amperage output they can put out. So if you want to vape at a certain wattage output... it must not exceed the voltage or amperage limits for that output.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a mech, once you install your coil(s) you're done adjusting power. Both power variables (voltage and resistance) are now fixed. With a variable device, after you set the resistance with the build you still have control over how much voltage you apply. Big difference. Variable devices not only maintain a power level by not having output drop off as the battery drains, they allow adjusting the power you send to the load. Variable devices offer consistency and adjustability that are impossible with a mech.

VU Sponsors