Become a Patron!

Some Help Please

ralph029

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alrighty folks I need some guidance here. I’m about to venture into the world of mech mods. I’ve got some experience with coil building at this point. I use SteamEngine. I know how to use Ohms Law. I own 3 multimeters (yeah I’m bragging, hehehe) and know how to use them. I’ve read and read and read and watched (YouTube) and watched and watched. The information out there is so conflicting. Hell I can’t get my coils to match SteamEngine numbers. I realize to use SteamEngine as a guide and work from there rather than take it for gospel. I use LG HD2 batteries (based on Mooch’s recommendations and results). I don’t push below .2 ohms on my coils, although one set does come in .19 ohms. I do use many different coils and some as high as .9 ohms. There is info out there saying to use the charged voltage of the battery (4.2) and others saying only use 3.7. I’m not an electrician but have dabbled in aircraft, auto, and motorcycle repair so while I have a healthy respect for and a basic understand of, I’m not “scared” of electricity. I do have the utmost respect for it. I guess the problem is information overload. I’m not an engineer, nor, again, an electrician. I don’t believe that, if done properly and with respect, that coil building is akin to rocket science but damn am I getting lost. I want to learn how to make a great tasting, moderately warm vapor on an efficient device that with proper care and respect is safe to work with. I don’t care about coiling as an art (well at least not yet). Sure, as my knowledge base increases, so will my boundaries. For now, let’s just be smart. If I was a social guy, I could pop my buddies with these questions but I don’t get out much and the folks I know would be no smarter than I am about this, so I’m turning to the “pro’s from Dover” (yeah, I’m old, so?!?!).Any help, guidance, thoughts, suggestions, comments, anything really would be a great help. I will say, and this might be the wrong approach, that when I use SteamEngine, I currently focus on the ohms produced by the build and the heat capacity. I will then adjust my coil to meet a .25 - .85 resistance with the lowest heat capacity I can get. Thanks folks.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When determining amp load and which battery.. I choose the one with an amp rate higher than I will pull at any voltage level a battery might see during use. For me that's 3.2volts to 4.2 volts.

When building for regulated mods I don't even pay attention to ohm. Except to keep them withing the mods fire spec. I build to HF vs HC vs surface area vs wattage. I try to keep all the bars green or yellow. I prefer a heat flux that peaks at 200 to 220.

Just remember a high capacity low flux coil can vape hotter than a high flux low capacity coil.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ralph029

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When determining amp load and which battery.. I choose the one with an amp rate higher than I will pull at any voltage level a battery might see during use. For me that's 3.2volts to 4.2 volts.

So is that dependent on the battery you choose or are you figuring that based on a the voltage drop over the specific battery?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So is that dependent on the battery you choose or are you figuring that based on a the voltage drop over the specific battery?

Both..... But in reality it's based on the number of amps the mod and/or atomizer will draw from the battery when I push the fire button. And I dont go by the amp ratings on the label. I go by tested rates. I don't care about voltage drop. I don't push batteries that hard.

For the most part I use self imposed limits. Max amp draw for any build if mechanical or wattage if regulated is 90% TESTED rate of the batteries I am currently running. Read between the lines you see that keeps me well into the "Safer" ranges of any type of vaping.

VU Sponsors