Become a Patron!

So easy a monkey can do it!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I honestly didn't think I was smart enough to make my own coils. Just last week, I was telling @AndriaD that I couldn't. But since I got the coil building kit, figured I'd better give it a shot. I spent the afternoon reading tutorials and watching videos until I felt it was time to shit or get off the pot. Screwed up my first couple of attempts, but then I got the hang of it. Yay! How do they look? (P.S. Sorry, don't know why my stupid phone turned the photos.)

f50816155010e026b1a88d4fffaf89df.jpg
889681cb90f7ef30c71c6b9c151cc5e6.jpg
75111e55510652f888ab233886831da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll be giving building a try next week too. Gathering my shopping list this weekend... I'll pick up a kit as well, seems to have all the right tools in it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's easier than I thought it would be. I used the Steam Engine calculator thingie. I was still afraid of blowing my face off but once I got over my fear (or at least decided my face couldn't get any worse), it was pretty simple. Don't think I'll be doing any fancy schmancy coils for a long time, but at least I can keep myself vaping without spending a fortune on premade coils now. :) (Although I did recently order some premade coils, they were just the coil thingies that I can wick myself and not the pre-wicked premade coils. Now I just need to get a couple of Baby Beast rba decks.)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It's easier than I thought it would be. I used the Steam Engine calculator thingie. I was still afraid of blowing my face off but once I got over my fear (or at least decided my face couldn't get any worse), it was pretty simple. Don't think I'll be doing any fancy schmancy coils for a long time, but at least I can keep myself vaping without spending a fortune on premade coils now. :) (Although I did recently order some premade coils, they were just the coil thingies that I can wick myself and not the pre-wicked premade coils. Now I just need to get a couple of Baby Beast rba decks.)

:bingo:

st1114g

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have it bookmarked
I like trying new e-juice flavors and premade coils cost a fortune. Also are very inconvenient trying to wash/dry and hope you get rid of the flavor you don't like..

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have it bookmarked
I like trying new e-juice flavors and premade coils cost a fortune. Also are very inconvenient trying to wash/dry and hope you get rid of the flavor you don't like..

I recently started making my own juice as well. Pretty easy to do, although I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make HIC's biscoff ejuice, with several of the flavors at .25%. I have all of the flavors to do it with, though. Just need to get off the pot and make it now. :D

st1114g

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently started making my own juice as well. Pretty easy to do, although I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make HIC's biscoff ejuice, with several of the flavors at .25%. I have all of the flavors to do it with, though. Just need to get off the pot and make it now. :D
Lol I was debating if I should start making my e-juice or coils first... Since I'm more tech oriented, decided on the coils. Also, I hate cooking and am a mess in the kitchen lol but I'll get there eventually

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I honestly didn't think I was smart enough to make my own coils. Just last week, I was telling @AndriaD that I couldn't. But since I got the coil building kit, figured I'd better give it a shot. I spent the afternoon reading tutorials and watching videos until I felt it was time to shit or get off the pot. Screwed up my first couple of attempts, but then I got the hang of it. Yay! How do they look? (P.S. Sorry, don't know why my stupid phone turned the photos.)

:bingo::bingo::bingo:

I just use a drillbit, so I guess I'm a monkey. :giggle: But i was completely terrified of the whole idea... until I actually did it, and discovered how easy it really is. None of that fancy shit for me, just a plain old 8 wrap 29ga kanthal around a 3/32 drillbit. Right around 2 ohms, so my vape stays cool and low-vapor-producing, and saves the hell out of battery life.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
:bingo::bingo::bingo:

I just use a drillbit, so I guess I'm a monkey. :giggle: But i was completely terrified of the whole idea... until I actually did it, and discovered how easy it really is. None of that fancy shit for me, just a plain old 8 wrap 29ga kanthal around a 3/32 drillbit. Right around 2 ohms, so my vape stays cool and low-vapor-producing, and saves the hell out of battery life.

Andria

I've never bothered with a kit either and used a drill bit for over a year

Decided to get fancy and bought this wScreen Shot 2017-05-11 at 7.25.25 PM.png hen I wanted to experiment and got tired of trying to figure out drill bit diameter sizes, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've never bothered with a kit either and used a drill bit for over a year

Decided to get fancy and bought this wView attachment 81850 hen I wanted to experiment and got tired of trying to figure out drill bit diameter sizes, lol

I stopped experimenting with changing the inner diameter a long time ago, when I figured out that everytime I tried a new size, I had to learn how to wick the damn thing all over again... which is by far the most challenging aspect of the whole thing! So now, even when I've tried different kinds of wire (for TC, trying out titanium and then stainless), I keep my standard 3/32 size, because I know EXACTLY how to wick that -- my PG/VG ratio is always 85/15 or 86/14 (PG/VG, *not* VG/PG), so the same exact wicking works, no matter what the coil is made from. So I can't really find a good reason to spend any money on something fancy, when that same 3/32 drillbit has worked terrifically well for about 3 yrs now.

I did have to start out with 7/64 when I first got a Kayfun, because at first, I always tried to use too much cotton -- using a larger drillbit was helpful, so I didn't stuff it so full. But once I figured out how the "slide" should feel, I went down a size to the 3/32, and that size coil, with 8 wraps of 29ga kanthal, is my perfect sweet spot for the vape I like best. I was *thrilled* when LightningVapes started carrying odd-number gauges of kanthal! And after 3 yrs, I'm just about to finish my first 50' of 29ga and start on the 2nd spool, which I think is 100', so I should probably order some more. I might need it in 5 yrs or so. ;) :giggle:

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to laugh about all this....when vaping started we actually WANTED to build our own coils, we wanted to be able to have the choice to build coils with metals we had control over and sources of materials where we knew where they were coming from.We wanted to be independent of chinese crap coils especially knowing the disregard that the chinese manufacturers had for human health.and the fact that half the chinese coils were defective half the time...we wanted to be independent of corporations on our ability to create the kind of vape we wanted, and experiment, we wanted to be able to take a spool of kanthal with us on a trip in to the amazon and not have to worry about if we had enough cartomizers to last us 3 weeks. I understand the desirability of convenience, but dependence is pretty inconvenient.....Jeez there was a group of us who used to hand make our own porous ceramic wicks out of blocks of AO ceramics and then hot wrap our coils under a torch...you wanna talk about a pain in the ass., but man what a great vape it is.almost every single advance in vaping has been accomplished by the everyday vaper, and hardly a single innovation in vaping was done by the corprate manufactueres in China or anywhere else.....you fooling around with a spool of kanthal may come up with something that changes the whole direction of vaping.

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have to laugh about all this....when vaping started we actually WANTED to build our own coils, we wanted to be able to have the choice to build coils with metals we had control over and sources of materials where we knew where they were coming from.We wanted to be independent of chinese crap coils especially knowing the disregard that the chinese manufacturers had for human health.and the fact that half the chinese coils were defective half the time...we wanted to be independent of corporations on our ability to create the kind of vape we wanted, and experiment, we wanted to be able to take a spool of kanthal with us on a trip in to the amazon and not have to worry about if we had enough cartomizers to last us 3 weeks. I understand the desirability of convenience, but dependence is pretty inconvenient.....Jeez there was a group of us who used to hand make our own porous ceramic wicks out of blocks of AO ceramics and then hot wrap our coils under a torch...you wanna talk about a pain in the ass., but man what a great vape it is.almost every single advance in vaping has been accomplished by the everyday vaper, and hardly a single innovation in vaping was done by the corprate manufactueres in China or anywhere else.....you fooling around with a spool of kanthal may come up with something that changes the whole direction of vaping.

Uhhh... We just didn't want to pay $7.99 for a LR 510 atty that might have lasted a day or two before the coil popped. Don't recall much about an edict that large backing it up.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Uhhh... We just didn't want to pay $7.99 for a LR 510 atty that might have lasted a day or two before the coil popped. Don't recall much about an edict that large backing it up.
I do....but then, the expense of vaping never was an issue for me as I figured, regardless of cost.. it was a helluva alot cheaper than emphasyma, I was always more interested in it's health benifits and it's potential to produce a more satisfying experince than smoking.

Last edited:

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I know. Us younsters and our weird ideas. ;)

grumpy_old_dog.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hell, I didn't even wanna pay $5.99 for a 5pk of coils, each of which *might* last a week... or an hour... or be a dud right outta the pkg. FUCK THAT NOISE!!!!!!! I also got pretty fucking tired of waiting on the lazy incompetent inept and nearly-useless USPS to BRING ME MAH COILS (or mah juice!) so I learned to make my own, and fuck all the middlemen.

If you make the "consumable" part of the process DIY, you save a TON of money -- just as I very seldom buy paper plates; I have a dishwasher, and two hands and hot running water!

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Andria

I installed them on my new OBS Engine rta and vaped on it all night. Literally, until about 3am when I finally fell asleep. Hardly used much juice and very little battery life, interestingly. A lot less than I go through on my Baby Beasts. Played around with the wattage and found the sweet spot at 55w. I really want another OBS Engine rta now. :D Our local vape store has the BB rta in stock, so I'll have to go pick up a couple of those now. And I've promised one of my BBs to my older son and will probably have him buy a couple of the rtas for it and build coils for him, too. He's totally not mechanically inclined so I'm afraid he'd burn the house down if he tried to build them. :teehee:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hell, I didn't even wanna pay $5.99 for a 5pk of coils, each of which *might* last a week... or an hour... or be a dud right outta the pkg. FUCK THAT NOISE!!!!!!!

I don't mind the expense personally. But the survivalist in me told me to get rebuildable atomizers, a few miles of wire of various gauges and alloys, and a few pounds of rayon to ensure vaping goodness is still available when our corrupt powers-that-be go after our right to quit smoking.

Also, I have the I'm-out-of-cigarette-I-have-to-pop-to-the-night-store fear syndrome: I don't ever want to be caught out of pre-built coils at an inconvenient time. With spools of wire, I'm sure I can get a fresh coil anytime.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I installed them on my new OBS Engine rta and vaped on it all night. Literally, until about 3am when I finally fell asleep. Hardly used much juice and very little battery life, interestingly. A lot less than I go through on my Baby Beasts. Played around with the wattage and found the sweet spot at 55w. I really want another OBS Engine rta now. :D Our local vape store has the BB rta in stock, so I'll have to go pick up a couple of those now. And I've promised one of my BBs to my older son and will probably have him buy a couple of the rtas for it and build coils for him, too. He's totally not mechanically inclined so I'm afraid he'd burn the house down if he tried to build them. :teehee:

I'm kinda wondering how my own son will take to coil-building; I don't mind doing it for him for a while, and teaching him, but geez, he's gonna be 29 in a week, so I don't wanna be doing it indefinitely. He may not want the kind of extreme-low-intensity vape I require, since he doesn't have asthma, but he *has* been prone to bronchitis his whole life since he suffered pneumonia at age 5, so I don't think he'll be a cloud chaser either -- maybe just more of a middle-of-the-road kinda vaper. I've got some 28ga kanthal that I once tried and then never again used, so he may benefit from that, and possibly also from the 2 different spools of stainless wire. But I think at first, he's gonna use up the brick of XL cartos I still have under my counter, as he transitions from smoking. :giggle:

I saw him the other day, and he tried out my strawberry & cream; he found it a little hard to take, kinda choking him up though I advised him about puffing more like a cigar or pipe than a cigarette... but it may have been the high level of PG that bothered him; not many can take that much and not find it irritating. I thought I'd try to make some juice for him about 75/25 instead of 85/15, or maybe even 70/30; it really depends on how well his bronchitis-prone lungs can handle VG, and if he finds the need to continue having a lot of TH; he's always preferred Camel cigarettes, which I didn't find to have a lot of TH when I tried them; they're kinda smooth, but really dry.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't mind the expense personally. But the survivalist in me told me to get rebuildable atomizers, a few miles of wire of various gauges and alloys, and a few pounds of rayon to ensure vaping goodness is still available when our corrupt powers-that-be go after our right to quit smoking.

Also, I have the I'm-out-of-cigarette-I-have-to-pop-to-the-night-store fear syndrome: I don't ever want to be caught out of pre-built coils at an inconvenient time. With spools of wire, I'm sure I can get a fresh coil anytime.

The fear of our idiot gov't also played a big part in my decisions to become more independent in my vaping, though that was a factor more with DIY than with coil building -- I'd already been a coil builder for some months, just because of being a tightwad, before I felt the need to get into DIY -- which, at the time, had a lot more to do with a) needing a very high level of PG which even in 2014 was hard to find, and now is impossible, and b) using WTA, which is easier to incorporate into DIY than try to add to pre-made juice, if you want to maintain strict control over both nic level and PG/VG ratio.

I have the same panic reaction though; last night I finally mixed up my fresh 55ml of juice for the next 10 days after my current bottle, because my current bottle had gotten below half-full, which feels a lot like "OMG I only have 1 cigarette left in the pack!" And that feeling is EXACTLY why I still have my last open pack, with 12 in it, in a ziplock in the back of my freezer, turning into tobacco-cicles; as long as they're there, then vaping instead of smoking is my FREE CHOICE, not forced on me by anyone or anything including even a lack of cigarettes in the house when I'm here without a vehicle. :D Having it be MY choice, not coercion, is the most necessary part of this whole thing, even now at nearly 3 yrs smoke-free.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm kinda wondering how my own son will take to coil-building; I don't mind doing it for him for a while, and teaching him, but geez, he's gonna be 29 in a week, so I don't wanna be doing it indefinitely. He may not want the kind of extreme-low-intensity vape I require, since he doesn't have asthma, but he *has* been prone to bronchitis his whole life since he suffered pneumonia at age 5, so I don't think he'll be a cloud chaser either -- maybe just more of a middle-of-the-road kinda vaper. I've got some 28ga kanthal that I once tried and then never again used, so he may benefit from that, and possibly also from the 2 different spools of stainless wire. But I think at first, he's gonna use up the brick of XL cartos I still have under my counter, as he transitions from smoking. :giggle:

I saw him the other day, and he tried out my strawberry & cream; he found it a little hard to take, kinda choking him up though I advised him about puffing more like a cigar or pipe than a cigarette... but it may have been the high level of PG that bothered him; not many can take that much and not find it irritating. I thought I'd try to make some juice for him about 75/25 instead of 85/15, or maybe even 70/30; it really depends on how well his bronchitis-prone lungs can handle VG, and if he finds the need to continue having a lot of TH; he's always preferred Camel cigarettes, which I didn't find to have a lot of TH when I tried them; they're kinda smooth, but really dry.

Andria

I'm not sure what kind of cigs my son was smoking, but he's completely stopped now. He buys various juices at 6mg, usually 80/20 I think. He hasn't tried any of my DIY juice yet. He's about to be 30 but he's the biggest dork, pretty uncoordinated. Really nice kid though, he turned out well. He's a CNA and works at an elderly care facility. But like he can't ride a bike because he can't find his center of gravity. :teehee: He's barely tech-savvy enough to have learned how to use premade coils for his Baby Beast, but I don't think he'd ever get the hang of building a coil. He's pretty impressed that I learned how to do it, though. I won't mind making coils for him but he's going to have to learn how to wick them himself. :giggle:

Swaglife81

Member For 4 Years
I'm in that span of where is my budget going now. Do I go all out ordering ejuices, try my hand at diy ejuice, get into coil builds or buy some new tanks and a new 2017 box mod. Or spend $500 and do all of it, lol. It really can be an expensive hobby. I rolled my own cigs with a machine. Spent $8 every 2 weeks, I spend that just in pre built coils alone so I'm healthier and don't stink but definitely have to alot myself a vaping budget

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm in that span of where is my budget going now. Do I go all out ordering ejuices, try my hand at diy ejuice, get into coil builds or buy some new tanks and a new 2017 box mod. Or spend $500 and do all of it, lol. It really can be an expensive hobby. I rolled my own cigs with a machine. Spent $8 every 2 weeks, I spend that just in pre built coils alone so I'm healthier and don't stink but definitely have to alot myself a vaping budget
Build your own coils and buy a $40 mod. Someone else can suggest more.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

The biggest savings is in DIY ejuice -- ejuice has AT LEAST a 500% markup, no matter where you buy it, over the cost of the ingredients and packaging. If you buy those expensive fancy coils, that's a big money suck too, but if you really need the fancy ones, I imagine they're pretty hard to make, so maybe that expense is worth it. I couldn't stand paying $5.99 for a 5/pk, to me THAT was a huge money-suck, given how crappy factory coils are; they might last a week... or an hour... or not work at all straight outta the pkg. But the coils I make are easy-peasy, 8 wraps of kanthal around a drillbit, so I can't really comment on those fancy-schmancy ones that look like jewelry.

If you really want to save a lot of money, invest that $500, or even less, into all you need to make ejuice; it's TOTALLY worth it, because you mix for your own tastes, not the whole world's. And it saves UNGODLY amounts of money.

Andria

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice job, @Khassy!

Even though I now have several bigger and "better" tanks, I still use my Baby rbas regularly. Good DIY coils in that tiny chamber produce awesome flavor. Way better than the stock coils, which I thought were really good until I went DIY.

:cloud::cloud::cloud:

Them Bones

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The last time I went to my local vape shop, the owner recommended that I start building my own coils so I could stop buying them. I got the Coil Master kit and started building. I'm finally just getting the hang of wicking. Yeah, it's easy to do, but it's hard to get just the right amount for the coil size, and learn how to fluff it and stuff it :)

Juice tastes so much better with an RTA.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The last time I went to my local vape shop, the owner recommended that I start building my own coils so I could stop buying them. I got the Coil Master kit and started building. I'm finally just getting the hang of wicking. Yeah, it's easy to do, but it's hard to get just the right amount for the coil size, and learn how to fluff it and stuff it :)

Juice tastes so much better with an RTA.

Yep; as the title says, any monkey can wrap a wire around a drillbit and attach it to posts in some way; wicking is the REAL challenge and art-form -- once you figure out exactly the right amount for a given inner diameter, you're best off sticking to that particular size coil like glue, because you know how to wick that size. I've been building my own coils for more than 3 yrs, but if I changed from my usual 3/32 drillbit, I'd have to learn to wick it all over again -- and I'm just not interested in anymore dry hits! :giggle:

Andria

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep; as the title says, any monkey can wrap a wire around a drillbit and attach it to posts in some way; wicking is the REAL challenge and art-form -- once you figure out exactly the right amount for a given inner diameter, you're best off sticking to that particular size coil like glue, because you know how to wick that size. I've been building my own coils for more than 3 yrs, but if I changed from my usual 3/32 drillbit, I'd have to learn to wick it all over again -- and I'm just not interested in anymore dry hits!
I changed up my diameter last week for the heck of it. I was all lost when it came to wicking. No matter what I couldn't get it correct. I went back to my usual and all good this week. LOL

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Did you use the Top machine? That's what I used. I used to buy 2 pounds of tobacco and 1000 tubes a month when I was smoking. I replaced that expense with $50 worth of ejuice a month for a few months until I started DIYing my own. I'm about to mix up the last of a liter of 18mg nic base I bought back in November (I think) tonight. I'm just guessing I'll have around 100ml when I get finished at around 9 or 10mg nic.

I have saved quite a bit of money since I got into making my own juice although that may change soon since I got a better mod and I'm about to order an rta the first of the month. :)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first coil adventure consisted of 32g kanthal, a 1.8mm precision screwdriver and heavy duty fingernail clippers to cut the wire with..All this for a Kanger EVOD tank back in the day.

No fancy wire cutters or ohm meters or pointy tweezers...Just simple basic household tools anyone can still use today to wrap a basic coil with. ..The kits are nice but for anyone on a budget you dont really need them..Most use a regulated mod anyways so that can be used as the ohm reader...think i paid less than $7 for everything needed back then from the dollar store..(precision screwdriver set and fingernail clippers)...add a little for basic tweezers if you wanted to make micro coils.

Back then most used to torch the wire before wrapping it to make it less flexible so it wrapped easier or torch it after the wrap then squeeze it to make a micro coil as opposed to a spaced coil.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My first coil adventure consisted of 32g kanthal, a 1.8mm precision screwdriver and heavy duty fingernail clippers to cut the wire with..All this for a Kanger EVOD tank back in the day.

No fancy wire cutters or ohm meters or pointy tweezers...Just simple basic household tools anyone can still use today to wrap a basic coil with. ..The kits are nice but for anyone on a budget you dont really need them..Most use a regulated mod anyways so that can be used as the ohm reader...think i paid less than $7 for everything needed back then from the dollar store..(precision screwdriver set and fingernail clippers)...add a little for basic tweezers if you wanted to make micro coils.

Back then most used to torch the wire before wrapping it to make it less flexible so it wrapped easier or torch it after the wrap then squeeze it to make a micro coil as opposed to a spaced coil.

Amen, amen, amen. I still use a 3/32 drillbit to wrap my coils, and nail clippers to cut the wire, and a bic lighter to flame it before I wrap it to get rid of most of the "sproing" factor. The only serious tool I've bought that I find indispensable is the 3" vise, to hold the head while I mount the coil so I don't have to chase the damn thing all over the countertop. I did buy an Omnitester, which I do generally use to check resistance before I put the freshly coiled atty on one of my mods, but mainly that's just to check to make sure I'm getting correct resistance reporting from the mod -- at 2-ish ohms, it's not a safety issue, more of a QC issue. :) I did purchase some ceramic tweezers at one point, but I think I've used them about twice... maybe 3 times... in 3 yrs. :D

One of those fancy kits is NOT necessary, not at all. A drillbit, a pair of nailclippers, and an ordinary screwdriver works just fine.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like my fancy kit. Removes some of the monkeyness. :p :)

Yeah I can see that... and you use dual coils, right? If I used duals, I'd definitely have one of those kits, just because they need to match pretty much exactly, in resistance, and anything hand-made is going to have a little variance -- my standard 8 wraps can come to anything from 1.88 Ω to 1.99 Ω, which is too much variance if you want to use them together. But for folks just wanting to get started and see if the coil-building gig is something they really wanna get into... no special tools required. Some special tools do make it easier -- the coiler thingies, my vise, etc -- but they're not really necessary.

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I can see that... and you use dual coils, right? If I used duals, I'd definitely have one of those kits, just because they need to match pretty much exactly, in resistance, and anything hand-made is going to have a little variance -- my standard 8 wraps can come to anything from 1.88 Ω to 1.99 Ω, which is too much variance if you want to use them together. But for folks just wanting to get started and see if the coil-building gig is something they really wanna get into... no special tools required. Some special tools do make it easier -- the coiler thingies, my vise, etc -- but they're not really necessary.

Andria

Yup, dual coils thus far. I may try singles sometime down the road, we'll have to see. I'll never say never again because I said I'd never build coils and I am, and I'll never DIY juice and I am. :giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup, dual coils thus far. I may try singles sometime down the road, we'll have to see. I'll never say never again because I said I'd never build coils and I am, and I'll never DIY juice and I am. :giggle:

I had an idea right from the start that I'd get into DIY, because I was blending pre-made ejuice right from the start... but I was swearing up and down and sideways for the first 2 months that I'd NEVER EVER EVER build coils, it flat out terrified me to think of "messing with electrical shit"... next thing you know, I'm buying wire and stealing drillbits from my husband's toolboxes. :giggle: Hope he never needs that 3/32. :giggle:

Andria

ETA: I also swore up and down and sideways that I'd never ever ever quit smoking... once I realized that I had done that terrifying thing pretty easily, I opened my mind to other scary things.. like building coils. ;)

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got one of these recently as I just couldn't seem to get the hang of wrapping coils. It works great. I wrap fused claptons on them and they come out perfectly every time. And it's cheap.

VU Sponsors