Become a Patron!

Smok xpro m80plus

irideparkcity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so I have a 80 watt xpro m80 plus and have a roll of 26 and 24 gauge kanthal. I'm looking to make some big clouds. Which gauge of kanthal would be best? And how many wraps should I do? Single or dual coil? As of right now I have a dual coil setup of 24 gauge and 6 wraps each and this shit caught on fire but I quickly blew out! It was also vaping pretty good at about 60 watts reading at .27 ohms. all im trying to do is get the best vapor production single coil or dual I don't care. Don't know the exact diameter of the screw driver I've been wrapping with but it was the screwdriver that came with my mutation x v3 and my stro dripper if that helps. Thanks in advenced.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hey bud...shit caught fire probably from letting your wick get to dry....proper liquid saturation is key! ;)

I will tell you my mutation X build, I've mentioned it several times before and put a picture of the single coil version below. btw,,,,you screw driver is around 2ish mm if I remember right...I'd trade up for a 1/8th inch drill bit at least...that little bit a wick for the big wire and coils you're wrapping around it probably can't keep up and that's more than likely why it caught on fire...wasn't there so I can't say for sure but I am willing to be a Tim Horton's doughnut I'm right :)

OK....here's my single coil build....it is a Single Parallel coil of 5 wraps of made with 24 gauge Kanthal wrapped on a 1/8th inch drill bit.

paralell_zps7f0823ba.jpg

parallel builds are were you wrap two coils together....so you take two pieces of Kanthal and torch them and get them as straight as possible and then wrap the coils as tightly and evenly next to each other on the drill bit. So is basically a dual coil in a single coil format...that's why in the picture it looks like 10 wraps...it's actually two coils in one with five wraps...you can see on the leads that two wires are trailing off...the tricky thing about these builds is making sure there is enough tension on the wire wrapping it so they don't stagger the second you pull the drill bit out out...torching the wires is key because it will take most of the springiness out of the wires making this feat much easier to achieve...it's actually one of the easiest builds to do and the coil holds so much more juice giving you better flavor than just with a single coil.

My dual coil build is a dual parallel coil made with 7 wraps of 26 gauge Kanthal wrapped 7 times around a 1/8th inch drill bit. Both builds come out to around .24-.25ish but you always want to make sure to check it with a ohm's reader to make sure and that they make a good connection tightly in the post when you tighten down the screws because sometimes the screws can try and push one of the two wires to the side or 'pinch" one of the leads causing a short and uneven firing and ohm's readings jumping dangerously all over the place.

Hope this helps a little...give it a try and tell me what you think....best of luck to you and happy vaping! :)

irideparkcity

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey man thanks for all the good info. So i built a single parallel 24 gauge kanthal with 5 wraps wicked with Japanese organic cotton but im getting some dry hits even when my cotton is still pretty wet. Any suggestions? Also on my stro dripper it has two air holes right under where the coil is as you can see in the opposite side...should these airholes not be blocked?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageUploadedByTapatalk1434691895.605280.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434691913.808907.jpg

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey man thanks for all the good info. So i built a single parallel 24 gauge kanthal with 5 wraps wicked with Japanese organic cotton but im getting some dry hits even when my cotton is still pretty wet. Any suggestions? Also on my stro dripper it has two air holes right under where the coil is as you can see in the opposite side...should these airholes not be blocked?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 22949View attachment 22950

if you're getting dry hits it's one of two things...either your wattage is too high or you've got the wrong amount of wick in the coil...wicking is a pain in the ass to learn to get right and once it "clicks" you'll never understand why it was so hard to figure out in the first place :)

I usually use cotton bacon or Go Ken Do cut into strips but the regular Japanese cotton isn't much different than the bacon...you peal a good piece of it that when it is separated from the rest of it that is wider around then the coil itself...than you want to take it and work it with your hands gently pressing on it to condense it a little and make sure all the fibers are running the same way and pull off any random "fluffs" or tangles. Than you want to twist one end of it tight and thread it threw the coil...you'll know when you've got the right amount of cotton by how much resistance you get pulling it threw the coil....you want a very slight resistance....no resistance at all and you don't have enough wick so when it gets heated up by the coil it colapses and is only touching part of it causing your coil to fry your wick and give you a dry hit while it's burning....too much cotton and it will feel like the cotton is tugging on the coil and trying to move it...when you have too much the liquid gets choked at the ends of the coil and can't fully wick the cotton inside of the coil again causing dry hits and a crap taste. Another thing to remember when you're smoothing out your cotton is to not condense it too tightly together...I used to roll it between my fingers trying to make the cotton condense into as skinny of wick as possible thinking "more condensed means I can have more cotton in my wick." but that just causes feeding issues the same as using too much cotton...like I said...just an ever so slight resistance pulling it threw and not super condensed...just worked enough so it's condensed a little to help the juice flow nicely and as quickly as possible....oh, and dont' forget to cut off the twisted tip of the end of the wick, I am sure you know that one but once you twist the cotton it will wick with unpredictable results depending on it's mood :)

Another thing is your watts may be too high...this build is a "mech mod" style build...meaning it's designed to work inside of the capabilities of a single battery mech. The most wattage you could get on this build out of a mech at best if there was no voltage drop is about 73 watts...it's more like 60ish with a fully charged battery on a single battery tube mod. If you're running up around 80 or so it just might simply not be able to wick fast enough and you'll have to tweak the build to accomidate your vaping style....the 26 gauge dual coil version I mentioned works better in that respect as I've run it on my segelei up to 100 watts before I started getting dry hits but I usually leave it around 70ish because that's usually where I like to vape.

I hope all this ranting helps...let me no with another update..if it doesn't then I'll try and see if I can figure out if there's something else I am forgetting ....

Happy vaping my friend and take care :)

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 22949View attachment 22950

PS...that is a very nice looking coil by the way...nice job wrapping it for sure! Makes me wanna go out and buy that atty when I get paid tomorrow :D

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need to block off the side without a coil or build dual coils on that aty, doesn't look like you can run single coil on that one... not sure how you would block off the unused side.

Also looks like your cotton has completely blocked off the air flow on the side with the coil

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He could probably just move his cotton around and use the ends of the wick to block off the airflow on the side that doesn't have a coil and that would help his vapor production with out decreasing his wicking...but you don't have to block off the side without a coil if you don't want to...I only build single coils in my manta v2 but because the atty has such a small chamber to make the flavor so good like it it does I have to open the airflow all the way on both sides to keep the vaper from get insanely hot after a couple draws...it's all about preference I reckon :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess if you're running hot leaving the unused side open would help but not having any air flow directly on the coil in the case above will result in poor vape and flavor production.

Block the other side or dont but make sure the side with the coil is free to flow.

Just my 2 cents

VU Sponsors