Become a Patron!

Smok V8 Stick - Coil Cross-Compatibility

I'm using the Smok V8 Stick kit and have been using the intended M2 in most cases. I have switched to the Q2 and X4 when in a pinch before and found the Q2 to be a pretty weak replacement with the X4 being alright but felt it was a pretty tight hit in comparison to the M2.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried any of the atomizer heads with the 3.7V mechanical mod. I've seen that others have found that Eleaf HWs or the Joyetech Pro-C series can work in there, but am wary of using them with the device. I was thinking that the HW-2 or ProC1-S may be among the best bets, and figured it was worth exploring if others have tried it out.

I have found the Smok coils to be pretty touch and go and see that is a bit of a theme among other users, as well. If there are other options that could be better priced and of a greater quality, it would be great to know.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The Smok M2 coils are designed for the Smokstik. They don't require much current for a good hit. I have tried the Joyetech Pro C1 .4 ohm in it and it does ok but doesn't hit like the Smok M2. Keep in mind that the Pro C series only fits the Big Baby Beast tanks. They don't fit the Regular baby Beast.

This lower requirement is where the cross-compatibility can be challenging. I'm currently using an Eleaf HW2 and it is a tighter, warmer pull. It seems to hold up alright as the battery wears down over the course of the day and vapor production is decent. It is perhaps comparable to using the Smok X4.

Granted, I'm using the first of only 2 that I picked up for testing purposes, so it is hardly a reasonable sample size. However, from what I've experienced thus far, I can see the following:

Pros: - A more 'sturdy' build in the coil--the wires at the base are more snug.
- No leaking--at all. The seal at the bottom is nice and tight, and there isn't an issue with juice flowing down into the air intake--a problem that I face with nearly every M2 change that goes into the device.
- Vapor production still appears to be fine, though flavour may not be as good as it could be (see cons, below)

Cons: - Tighter pull--if a bigger hit, like Pastorfuzz has mentioned, is a goal, then the M2 does it better.
- Flavour appears to be less than what might come out of the designed coil
- Slightly less performance on the battery, though this doesn't seem to be significant enough to be a deal breaker.

Thanks for providing your insight!

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
M2 coils were preinstalled at 0.15 ohms with a much weaker hitting 0.25 in the box. Then the 0.15 replacements became hard to find and 0.3 ohms were released. Never tried the 0.3.

However, in recent weeks, the 0.15 have been somewhat more available. I picked up a few, big difference. I have seen generic clones of these on eBay, which I would avoid.

My coil life has been ok with the baby coils, except for the Q2 which lasted 3-4 days.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One out of every five-pack M2 coils had been bad for me. But the ones that work well last very long for me. I have three V8 sticks and have a different flavor in each. I rotate them and change coils once per month. I find m2s easily for 10-12 bucks per five-pack. Thats cheap I think.

Are you finding your M2 coils from an online retailer or are shops selling them at that rate? That IS a great price, and I've found them at about 14.99 (with some online retailers offering free shipping on certain purchase amounts). I haven't had quite the same luck with lasting, but it could very well be that I do something that burns them out much more quickly, too. Granted, I've just got one Stick and it's all I use.

I have a Istick v8 and a eleaf hw4 coil is that bad cause I just got it changed to that and it has no flavor and is overheating my vape

VU Sponsors