Become a Patron!

Smok v8 big baby beast burning through coils :'(

KingOfClouds

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone,

I am using the smok v8 big baby beast tank with q2 coils on a smok g-priv 220w mod.

Since i bought it i have to replace my coils in just s couple of days because it burns my throat insanely and leaves a burned taste.. its like stinging in my throat, not juice spatters or dry hits.

I mostly vape at 55-65 watts, airflow full open and last weeks using beard vape 71 and illusions the prophet liquids. I take mostly 2-4 second hits and chain vape occasionaly

Does anyone have an idea why my coils burn out so fast ? And why it tastes bad so fast...

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Where you buying them from? I know they rate them for higher, but 55-65 could be shortening life, esp if your running it hot. I keep a dry BBB w/Q2 in the car for emergency purposes. I've ran that coil @40-50w and they lasted ok. Tried the T6?

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello everyone,

I am using the smok v8 big baby beast tank with q2 coils on a smok g-priv 220w mod.

Since i bought it i have to replace my coils in just s couple of days because it burns my throat insanely and leaves a burned taste.. its like stinging in my throat, not juice spatters or dry hits.

I mostly vape at 55-65 watts, airflow full open and last weeks using beard vape 71 and illusions the prophet liquids. I take mostly 2-4 second hits and chain vape occasionaly

Does anyone have an idea why my coils burn out so fast ? And why it tastes bad so fast...
That's the reason, I prefer RBAs, RTAs, RDTAs, and RDAs! I have the control over the build. Most of the replacement coils are of low quality, due to the materials utilized, and their manufacturing. In other words, they are of low quality. In addition, I save a lot of money, building my own.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That coil is overrated, I usually run it at 40 watts if I want it too last.
I also found X4 coils last for longer and have better flavour.
I don't use it much since getting the prince but would definitely recommend the X4 coils above the Q2

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Instead of buying different coils/continuing with oem limitations, spend it towards a rebuildable. Like an RTA.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find subohm coils smoother but buildables are more intense in flavor.
Normally I use an RTA but I just put a q2, I got cheap, on my vaporesso NRG last night.. I’ll lyk how long they last for me. First time trying non vaporesso coils. I’m vaping it at 53W.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find subohm coils smoother but buildables are more intense in flavor.
Normally I use an RTA but I just put a q2, I got cheap, on my vaporesso NRG last night.. I’ll lyk how long they last for me. First time trying non vaporesso coils. I’m vaping it at 53W.
NRG coils and BB coils have had similar performance for me. If i'm getting dry hits I poke holes in cotton though so they wick better an last longer

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NRG coils and BB coils have had similar performance for me. If i'm getting dry hits I poke holes in cotton though so they wick better an last longer
I was doing that for the gtcores... but had a tough time getting through on the q2.. so I just left em..

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was doing that for the gtcores... but had a tough time getting through on the q2.. so I just left em..
I don't get good lifespan out of the gtcores or baby beast coils. I find the QC on aspire tanks is better.
My main tank is the cleito 120 & I get 2-4 weeks out of them. Never had a bad coil an that's vaping 80-100 watts.
If I vape a baby beast coil at that wattage I get a burnt taste. I got the prince tank recently and even the 120 watt coil can't handle higher than 50 watts. Not impressed with smok tanks.
I've been vaping 80 plus watts for a year or two now.
The ones that stand out for me are cleito 120 and Freemax fireluke. They give good clouds an flavour.
The tfv12 can chuck clouds but flavour isn't as good.
I like a balance of both.
120 an fireluke are closest your gonna get to an RDA.
Cleito exo 0.16 coil is good but that 2ml!

KingOfClouds

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That coil is overrated, I usually run it at 40 watts if I want it too last.
I also found X4 coils last for longer and have better flavour.
I don't use it much since getting the prince but would definitely recommend the X4 coils above the Q2

I did try the x4 but you cant take the fine open air takes as you can with a q2.. because the coil is much more closed at the x4.. also the flavour wasnt better in my case :(

KingOfClouds

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where you buying them from? I know they rate them for higher, but 55-65 could be shortening life, esp if your running it hot. I keep a dry BBB w/Q2 in the car for emergency purposes. I've ran that coil @40-50w and they lasted ok. Tried the T6?

Didnt try the t6 yet, maybe that works better and longer for me. Didnt like the x4 though

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
my Q2 still going strong after about 4ml of liquid at 53 W.
(I am alternating tanks/flavors so my rate of 4ml over 2 days with the NRG and q2 coil is deceiving. )
Anyhow I did filled it back up to 5ml. I will be tracking the amount of diffused juice accurately.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Didnt try the t6 yet, maybe that works better and longer for me. Didnt like the x4 though
TBH, I'd just go with an RTA. You already have the mod for it. Takes the guesswork out, no factory coils to deal with, not to mention all the other benifits - which there are many. Including cost.
Take this for example, http://www.obsnsmoke.com/wuhuaqi/12.html Not that much more than a 5 pack of Smok coils and it comes with a coil and cotton. All you have to do is change the cotton every once in a while instead of a 3-5$ coil head. And the coil could last weeks - month or more.
Do yourself a favor and don't be like I did and wait so long.
Did I say that something like that ^ will blow the doors of what your using now? And do it with less battery.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10018376/8790302

KingOfClouds

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TBH, I'd just go with an RTA. You already have the mod for it. Takes the guesswork out, no factory coils to deal with, not to mention all the other benifits - which there are many. Including cost.
Take this for example, http://www.obsnsmoke.com/wuhuaqi/12.html Not that much more than a 5 pack of Smok coils and it comes with a coil and cotton. All you have to do is change the cotton every once in a while instead of a 3-5$ coil head. And the coil could last weeks - month or more.
Did I say that something like that ^ will blow the doors of what your using now? And do it with less battery.

I dis myself a big pleasure already with buying a wismec 300w and a drop by rda ^^ taste is incredible but also wanna get a rta for moments where you cant drip haha thsnks for the great help and info anyway ! Ill check it out :)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I dis myself a big pleasure already with buying a wismec 300w and a drop by rda ^^ taste is incredible but also wanna get a rta for moments where you cant drip haha thsnks for the great help and info anyway ! Ill check it out :)
:bliss::stars:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have RTA'S and find them a hassle. I just wanna vape

Mainevape

Member For 1 Year
Hello everyone,

Try the eleaf Hw4 they fit and last longer.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@SkoldVape Maybe try:
1. Using lower wattage (whatever wattage suites you. You don't need to use high wattages because it's rated for high wattage vaping).
2. If you are using sweet juices then this could also be a problem as the coil will gunk up faster.
3. Make sure to wet all of the cotton before using the coil.
4. Make sure to not let the juice levels go too low because once the tank is dry, the cotton will no longer get fully saturated which leads to the coil burning the cotton.

I hope this helps and I hope you come right with your tank. I highly recommend that you invest in an RTA such as the Geekvape Zeus. Its a good starting point as this RTA is leak proof. As you learn more about building and wicking you can probably move onto other RTA's.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@SkoldVape Maybe try:
1. Using lower wattage (whatever wattage suites you. You don't need to use high wattages because it's rated for high wattage vaping).
2. If you are using sweet juices then this could also be a problem as the coil will gunk up faster.
3. Make sure to wet all of the cotton before using the coil.
4. Make sure to not let the juice levels go too low because once the tank is dry, the cotton will no longer get fully saturated which leads to the coil burning the cotton.

I hope this helps and I hope you come right with your tank. I highly recommend that you invest in an RTA such as the Geekvape Zeus. Its a good starting point as this RTA is leak proof. As you learn more about building and wicking you can probably move onto other RTA's.
I'm not new to RTA'S. I have like 20 of them and I always prime coils before use an gradually increase wattage.
My coils always last but with factory coil tanks there is always chance of a dud but thank you for the advice!

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not new to RTA'S. I have like 20 of them and I always prime coils before use an gradually increase wattage.
My coils always last but with factory coil tanks there is always chance of a dud but thank you for the advice!
Yes, dud coils are definitely possible. I once used 5 different ceramic coils and every single one of them were duds. You could barely get any flavor from it and it dry hits every single time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Post counts or join dates don't mean anything. Let me go get my wet noodle..............

489d3fca58a6fccb3ed800632e2a5cb23023405cdd7afe1dd990e4a1a1091ddc.jpg

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could be fakes or counterfeits and that would be my guess but Ceramic coils I believe require setting up in TC correctly. I have ceramic coils here but never was into researching how to use them correctly.
No the vendor got them direct and they are very reputable. I didn't use TC mode. I used to prime them properly and let it sit for 1 hour before using them. These coil heads just won't wick at all. Later one I moved to a melo 2 (the one that used to come with the Pico kits) and I used a ceramic coil head there as well. What used to happen was that the coil used to only wick when you open the top cap/refill cap. Some call it an 'air lock'. It was just too much work to get a good vape and so I stay away from ceramic coil heads now.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could be fakes or counterfeits and that would be my guess but Ceramic coils I believe require setting up in TC correctly. I have ceramic coils here but never was into researching how to use them correctly.
I got some with my Vaporesso veco tank and used them in ss mode

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Pico is a pretty good mod. I use my lower wattage attys on it when I go to the pub
The size is just great to carry around. The only problem I had was that most attys I like are 24mm or bigger and so I couldn't use the Pico as much as I would like to. For this reason I ended up pif'ing it to one of my friends. I think it's still in use to this day

VU Sponsors