Become a Patron!

SMOK TFV8 Baby Coils ... WTH??

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the first time I decided to try something new.
I have been vaping my Vaporesso Target with ceramic cCell coils for many months. No problems with anything except the occasional bad coil right out of the box. I decided to try out something different, something that would give me bigger clouds without sacrificing juice flavor. So I decided to get a TFV8 Big Baby, or 'Big Baby Beast' by Smok. It seemed to be working great. I was getting huge vapor production compared to the Vaporesso cCells, and also great flavor. But after the first tank full everything got crappy. No matter what coils I used (X4 or T8), no matter what juice or vg/pg ratio, no matter what wattage, I am ALWAYS getting DRY HITS after the first tank refill with brand new coils.
I must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it could be.
Someone please help me figure this out....

Vaporesso Target Pro 75W
Smok Big Baby Beast Tank
Smok Coils:
V8 BABY-X4: @ 45-55W (coils rated 30-70W)
V8 BABY-T8: @ 55-65W (coils rated 50-110W)

Why would the X4 and T8 coils work great for the first 5ml of juice,
but then all of a sudden start dry hitting like crazy during the second tank full?
I am completely confused by this and haven't got a clue what to do about it.
Please help me if you can. Thanks in advance..​

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
only thing i can think of is if you burned out a coil. once the coil is burnt there is no way to "unburn" it it needs to be replaced. maybe you hit it dry at the end of the 1st tank burning the coil?

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
only thing i can think of is if you burned out a coil. once the coil is burnt there is no way to "unburn" it it needs to be replaced. maybe you hit it dry at the end of the 1st tank burning the coil?
I don't remember any dry hits towards the end of the tank, I have been pretty careful, refilling as soon as I noticed a loss of flavor. I tried another brand new coil today and, the same damn thing. This time I didn't even let the tank go past half full before refilling it. A couple hits after topping it off and BAM!... more harsh, dry hits! What makes it even more odd is the fact that I could get a nice clean hit in between the really harsh, dry ones. What could that mean? Could any of this be caused by the mod i am using? The batteries maybe? And how would I know if I burned out one of these coils? What would they look like? Black and charred? All 4 of them appear to have slightly grayish cotton.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally do not have that tank, but got one set up for a friend new to vaping.

IDK but I think they "inflate" the recommended wattage for their coils.

The x4 coil is "rated" much higher, but I couldn't get it to wick fast enough to vape higher than 40watts without dry hits. Really 35watts was as high as I could get it to perform well. And with 40%pg juice too.

So my answer: vape these coils on the very bottom end of their recommended wattage.

Or get an RDA. Only way you get a dry hit is because you didn't drip enough. Instead of "because the guy in china said it would work at this wattage."

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I personally do not have that tank, but got one set up for a friend new to vaping.

The x4 coil is "rated" much higher, but I couldn't get it to wick fast enough to vape higher than 40watts without dry hits. Really 35watts was as high as I could get it to perform well. And with 40%pg juice too.

So my answer: vape these coils on the very bottom end of their recommended wattage.

Or get an RDA. Only way you get a dry hit is because you didn't drip enough. Instead of "because the guy in china said it would work at this wattage."
I agree. I always use the lower side of coil ratings. Their 130 to 230 watt coil I vape at 140

Also RTA for the win
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Yeah idk. If thats true then i guess i just wasted my time and money. And that would also mean Smok tanks and coils are garbage, and its just a bunch of false advertising.
Anyone want a new tank and some shiny coils? $30 +shipping. And no returns. Expect to use 1 coil per tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. I always use the lower side of coil ratings. Their 130 to 230 watt coil I vape at 140

Yeah. Thats what i have been doing, but it obvious doesnt matter.
I even started at 40W and ramped up from there. Didnt matter.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah idk. If thats true then i guess i just wasted my time and money. And that would also mean Smok tanks and coils are garbage, and its just a bunch of false advertising.
Anyone want a new tank and some shiny coils? $30 +shipping. And no returns. Expect to use 1 coil per tank.

Not exactly what I was saying. What I was saying is to vape your x8 coil in the wattage range you were using for your x4 coils. And your x4 coil at 35w and see how that works out.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah. Thats what i have been doing, but it obvious doesnt matter.
I even started at 40W and ramped up from there. Didnt matter.

I only used the baby beast for 1 week but my coil lasted the whole week no issues

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its something weird i am sure. These coils cant be that bad. I must be doing something very wrong..

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My friend has been rocking his x4 coil at 35w for more like 10 days. Still clean.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I only used the baby beast for 1 week but my coil lasted the whole week no issues

I guess i need to know what i could be doing different.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little more airflow can keep the coils a little cooler.

Properly primed, I am sure, but have to ask.

Other than that, turn down the wattage.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My friend has been rocking his x4 coil at 35w for more like 10 days. Still clean.
X4 at 35W ??? That coil works best at 45-60. If i only wanted 30-35W i would just keep using cCells.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
X4 at 35W ??? That coil works best at 45-60. If i only wanted 30-35W i would just keep using cCells.

That coil DOES NOT work best from 45-60w. If it did, you would not have started this post. Yes, the company claimed it did. But with my advice plus the advice of @SirRichardRear you now are aware that when you buy your next coils, buy the next step up (or 2 steps up) and vape them at or below the recommended wattage for best results.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little more airflow can keep the coils a little cooler.

Properly primed, I am sure, but have to ask.

Other than that, turn down the wattage.
Yes primed.
Totally sucks. I bought this tank and two boxes of coils so that i could max out my target pro 75W. The coil i have in now is a T8 and is supposed to be able to get pushed passed 100W. My target mod max is 75. I havent even gone beyond 60W and the coil seems fried. WTF? I now have 4 coils that couldnt even survive 2 full tanks at under the lowest recommended wattage.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes primed.
Totally sucks. I bought this tank and two boxes of coils so that i could max out my target pro 75W. The coil i have in now is a T8 and is supposed to be able to get pushed passed 100W. My target mod max is 75. I havent even gone beyond 60W and the coil seems fried. WTF? I now have 4 coils that couldnt even survive 2 full tanks at under the lowest recommended wattage.

Only real advice I can give is get into rebuildables. Then you control your destiny. Can adjust your wick and wire to suit you and what you wanna vape. Instead of relying on expensive premade coilheads that offer no customizability. They do what they do.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That coil DOES NOT work best from 45-60w. If it did, you would not have started this post. Yes, the company claimed it did. But with my advice plus the advice of @SirRichardRear you now are aware that when you buy your next coils, buy the next step up (or 2 steps up) and vape them at or below the recommended wattage for best results.
Like i said... False Advertising.
Vaporesso claims a wattage range for there coils too, but it is actually true. So basically dont believe what Smok claims?

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only real advice I can give is get into rebuildables. Then you control your destiny. Can adjust your wick and wire to suit you and what you wanna vape. Instead of relying on expensive premade coilheads that offer no customizability. They do what they do.
This Smok Big Baby Beast Tank came with a nice RBA. Havent tried it yet, never had one.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This Smok Big Baby Beast Tank came with a nice RBA. Havent tried it yet, never had one.

Give it a try. Might not be able to build more than a 50-60w build on it at most.

Try it, but the best rebuildables are made as rebuildables, not as an afterthought to their replacement coils.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes primed.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what is written on a coil or online, 98% of all chinese companies inflate the wattage range for more sales.

I been using the TfV8 .15 coils on two mods for over a month at 85 watts, they still vape like the first day installed. It definately makes a huge difference in a persons habits...I don't chain vape, I use stronger nic. Currently using 100% VG juice in both tanks....not a hint of a dry hit, ever.

The TFV8 is the only atty I use with factory coils. BUT.....like @BKTOAD mentioned, build your own coils to control your destiny. Once you get the hang of it, it's like drinking a beer.... simple, and CHEAP

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Give it a try. Might not be able to build more than a 50-60w build on it at most.

Try it, but the best rebuildables are made as rebuildables, not as an afterthought to their replacement coils.

Ok i will give it a try. Seems like a very small deck, but I know nothing about them except for what I have seen and read.
What do you mean by an 'afterthought to their replacement coils' ?

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what is written on a coil or online, 98% of all chinese companies inflate the wattage range for more sales.

I been using the TfV8 .15 coils on two mods for over a month at 85 watts, they still vape like the first day installed. It definately makes a huge difference in a persons habits...I don't chain vape, I use stronger nic. Currently using 100% VG juice in both tanks....not a hint of a dry hit, ever.

The TFV8 is the only atty I use with factory coils. BUT.....like @BKTOAD mentioned, build your own coils to control your destiny. Once you get the hang of it, it's like drinking a beer.... simple, and CHEAP
It DOES make a damn bit of difference. Vaporesso and Smok are the same. Shenzhen IVPS Technology Co., Ltd. But one lies and one doesn't. How does that not make a difference? It shouldn't happen. period. And so it does, therefore we shouldn't believe any of the numbers until we have tried them ourselves? Makes no sense...
I am glad you can vape YOUR .15's at 85W. My nic is low at 3. 80/20. ALL Dry Hits. Do you know why you can and i can't? That was the question.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It DOES make a damn bit of difference. Vaporesso and Smok are the same. Shenzhen IVPS Technology Co., Ltd. But one lies and one doesn't. How does that not make a difference? It shouldn't happen. period. And so it does, therefore we shouldn't believe any of the numbers until we have tried them ourselves? Makes no sense...
I am glad you can vape YOUR .15's at 85W. My nic is low at 3. 80/20. ALL Dry Hits. Do you know why you can and i can't? That was the question.
I wouldn't say it's a lie personally. I've hit the tfv8 at a full 220 watts with no issues. I've dissected the coils. But higher watts burns them out quicker. The baby beast isn't a cloud checker. It's a solid mid range tank. It's similar to a clieto imo. Even with the clieto 55-70 watt coils I vape them a little lower like 50 watts. The coils can handle that wattage but in short bursts.

The other thing that could be an issue is your juice itself. People often overlooked that. Maybe it's just your juice isn't handling the higher wattage well. Higher watt devices need thicker juice and bring out the flavor more. Sometimes that's a bad thing

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I wouldn't say it's a lie personally. I've hit the tfv8 at a full 220 watts with no issues. I've dissected the coils. But higher watts burns them out quicker. The baby beast isn't a cloud checker. It's a solid mid range tank. It's similar to a clieto imo. Even with the clieto 55-70 watt coils I vape them a little lower like 50 watts. The coils can handle that wattage but in short bursts.

The other thing that could be an issue is your juice itself. People often overlooked that. Maybe it's just your juice isn't handling the higher wattage well. Higher watt devices need thicker juice and bring out the flavor more. Sometimes that's a bad thing

I agree with you on the advertised wattage. I had to tweak mine to 50w also using the T4 coil on the Mini (not Baby or Big Baby). It shouldn't make a difference. I cleaned both of my last coils. I wonder how/if they'll perform next time. But yes, what Sir Richard said.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The fucking question was answered already, read what the fuck is posted...!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I run the Q2 coils, with various juices, at 65w for up to 16 days each. The T8's don't get along with my orange creamsicle juice at all, but they are awesome with my vanilla mint juice. All my juices are 70 to 95% VG. I haven't tried the X4's yet, but I have some ordered.
I don't know why you are trying to "max out" your mod. Trying to see how fast you can drain batteries? LOL
Wish I could help more. I'm quite pleased with my Baby Beasts (I have 4 lol). Good luck.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This thread is intriguing, educational, and just plain awesome. If you are having trouble understanding factory pre-built coils, my guess is you aren't going to be able to figure out how to build and Wick the rba, let alone every single rba that SMOK has ever had just plain sucks. I would say buy a Griffin but I'm having a hard time finding the factory recommend watts for my coils(that was sarcasm)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This thread is intriguing, educational, and just plain awesome. If you are having trouble understanding factory pre-built coils, my guess is you aren't going to be able to figure out how to build and Wick the rba, let alone every single rba that SMOK has ever had just plain sucks. I would say buy a Griffin but I'm having a hard time finding the factory recommend watts for my coils(that was sarcasm)
the TFV8 RBA is actually really good. the TFV4 ones sucked. I don't have a baby beast rba

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the TFV8 RBA is actually really good. the TFV4 ones sucked. I don't have a baby beast rba
I don't admit it often but I have a TFV8, I hate the rba in that too, not as much as the V4 but still. It will wick great but the flavor is always off, just my experience.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I don't admit it often but I have a TFV8, I hate the rba in that too, not as much as the V4 but still. It will wick great but the flavor is always off, just my experience.
it's your build then most likely. the deck itself can't mute flavor and since the pre made coils have some of the best flavor of any tank it would have to be your build. I get great flavor from mine. very comparable to the boreas and supreme

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run the Q2 coils, with various juices, at 65w for up to 16 days each. The T8's don't get along with my orange creamsicle juice at all, but they are awesome with my vanilla mint juice. All my juices are 70 to 95% VG. I haven't tried the X4's yet, but I have some ordered.
I don't know why you are trying to "max out" your mod. Trying to see how fast you can drain batteries? LOL
Wish I could help more. I'm quite pleased with my Baby Beasts (I have 4 lol). Good luck.
Thanks. Not necessarily 'max out', but want to get the most possible vapor per hit.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL.. i actually do understand disposable coils very well thanks. I just don't understand why companies like smok can lie and knowingly display false claims and advertising. Their baby coils simply suck, big time. If I would have known i wouldn't have invested in the big baby tank. Its really too bad because the tank itself is awesome...

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Also RTA for the win
Thats exactly what I am doing, but its not happening unfortunately. It must be the juice I am using. Idk..

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thats exactly what I am doing, but its not happening unfortunately. It must be the juice I am using. Idk..
I have no issues with the baby beast coils at all. I'm thinking it's the juice. Try a different one

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Personally I have had issues with the crown and the tfv4 coils then I bought the boreas and never looked back. Though to give some back ground I rebuilt protank coils then moved to kayfu 3.1 which sucked then to rda's. After rda's I decided I was tired of dripping and wanted a tank that I could just swap out coils which didn't work very well. I feel your pain.

Try rebuildables maybe a dripper as it will be easier to see what's going on and tweak as necessary. Personally I do not like drippers with bottom airflow because I feel as if it would leak easier.

happy valley

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the price I paid for the baby tanks ($15) and coils ($10-11) they serve me well. I can get a month out of a coil with TC on a HT G2. The Q2's can be rebuilt, it's fussy but doable, I do it but don't recommend it unless you want to fuss. The baby RBA core is good but again a little fussy. Cheap fun.

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the price I paid for the baby tanks ($15) and coils ($10-11) they serve me well. I can get a month out of a coil with TC on a HT G2. The Q2's can be rebuilt, it's fussy but doable, I do it but don't recommend it unless you want to fuss. The baby RBA core is good but again a little fussy. Cheap fun.
Didn't know I could run BabyBeast coils on TC..are they nickel or stainless??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BuryTheSun

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What the manufacturers "suggested" wattage is, what you see people saying "this coil needs to run at X amount of watts to really shine" doesn't mean a thing. The correct wattage is the one you find an enjoyable, satisfying vape at. I'm almost always 5-10 watts below what is written on a coil and way more below what people generally say a coil shines at.

I generally get great life out of pre-builts. I'm not saying my way is the right way because it's not, it's the right way for me. But I found a couple years ago that using people's and manufactures suggestions are just for that, suggestions. A starting point maybe. But it's up to you to find and hone into what you personally like.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What the manufacturers "suggested" wattage is, what you see people saying "this coil needs to run at X amount of watts to really shine" doesn't mean a thing. The correct wattage is the one you find an enjoyable, satisfying vape at. I'm almost always 5-10 watts below what is written on a coil and way more below what people generally say a coil shines at.

I generally get great life out of pre-builts. I'm not saying my way is the right way because it's not, it's the right way for me. But I found a couple years ago that using people's and manufactures suggestions are just for that, suggestions. A starting point maybe. But it's up to you to find and hone into what you personally like.
I agree. But companies like Smok need to stop giving false numbers. If they state that their coil can handle 40 - 100 watts, and works best between 65 - 80, then that should be true. Especially when using them with the recommended Smok tank.
But i agree with you and understand what you are saying. I have found that my comfort zone is also around 10 watts under spec. But at times it is also 5 - 10 watts higher. That is with Vaporesso coils. I still dont have any idea what to do about this brand new Smok big baby beast and the 2 boxes of coils i bought. I placed it all on my 'shelf of disappointments' where it will just collecting dust unfortunately.

BuryTheSun

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have that particular tank so I'm not familiar with the coils, but have you torn one apart to see if you can rebuild it? Usually after a coil has been released for awhile someone figures out how to rebuild. Some factory coils are a pain in the ass to rebuild, some relatively easy. Might be a solution instead of just having them collect dust.

Jóhannus†àR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why would someone want to rebuild a disposable coil? Wouldnt it make more sense to just buy an rba?

BuryTheSun

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Depends I guess. I keep forgetting how fast vaping actually has and is moving. It wasn't that long ago a lot of people were rebuilding throw aways, like the coils for Evods. You didn't have the option to get an rba deck and also be able to use pre-builts.

VU Sponsors