Become a Patron!

SMOK tanks leaking

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Has anyone ever found a solution to leaking Tfv4 and Ttf4 mini tanks leaking?
I have tried every suggestion I could find - new coils, rebuildable coils, new O-rings, standing on my head, standing on my head while refilling.
I put them away for months, got one out yesterday. Put in a brand new SMOK coil, primed it (a little), filled the tank, took a few light hits, set it in a plastic container. Came back 1/2 hour later and same as usual - tank emptied through air intake.
This has made me so angry that I'm very hesitant to buy ANY other products from SMOK and I really like the look of the new Tfv8 Baby but I don't think I want to risk just throwing away more money.
Thanks in advance

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
never had one leak. sounds like you are missing an o-ring by the coil or the coil isn't screwed in all the way. I have a TFV4, TFV8, and TFV8 baby beast and none have ever leaked on me

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The oring they provide for the chimney is too small. There is a guy selling orings on ebay that fix the problem. I bought them for my tfv4 and it fixed the problem.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had one that didn't seat properly between the coil and chimney. Like the glass was too tall.

Fixed it with plumbers tape on the threads of the chimney.

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had 3 - every one leaks. I've screwed the coil in hard, I've screwed the coils in snug and added a quarter turn. I've replaced O rings, I've, well I'll repeat myself, tried every suggestion I could find.
I might think that one tank might be a problem but 3tanks do exactly the same thing - dumps juice.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or could try to screw the coil into the chimney then screw that into the base. Kept mine from leaking, but wouldn't connect to the center pin properly. So had to go the plumbers tape route.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never had a smok tank leak either, first time I've heard of a problem with three of them.

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ok - at the risk of sounding like a dick, how does that help the OP ?
Your tanks don't leak, that's really awesome, but that doesn't mean his doesn't. It also doesn't solve the problem.

My very first "Real" Tank was the TFV4 Mini. No matter what I did it wouldn't hold juice. Searched HERE and found a thread and a member who figured out it was a bad o-ring on chimney. He sourced and found better o-rings, sold them very reasonably on eBay.

I ordered them, installed, and viola no more leaks.

I also had issues with the coils that come pre-installed on the TFV8. First time I filled it, it dumped. My buddy had the same issue. Once that coil was replaced with another new one (ordered separately) it's been fine.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've had 3 - every one leaks. I've screwed the coil in hard, I've screwed the coils in snug and added a quarter turn. I've replaced O rings, I've, well I'll repeat myself, tried every suggestion I could find.
I might think that one tank might be a problem but 3tanks do exactly the same thing - dumps juice.
Over tightening can also damage o-rings!

Maybe you over tightened the thread? (where you screw the coil) Drop the image of the place where it's leaking, will be much easier to help you

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
To determine where the leak is:

First fill the tank about a 1/3 full (below the chimney where it threads into the coil) - if it holds then it's not the coil.
Then fill above the chimney joint. If it leaks it's the o-ring I've been talking about.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Your tanks don't leak, that's really awesome, but that doesn't mean his doesn't. It also doesn't solve the problem.

My very first "Real" Tank was the TFV4 Mini. No matter what I did it wouldn't hold juice. Searched HERE and found a thread and a member who figured out it was a bad o-ring on chimney. He sourced and found better o-rings, sold them very reasonably on eBay.

I also had issues with the coils that come pre-installed on the TFV8. First time I filled it, it dumped. My buddy had the same issue. Once that coil was replaced with another new one (ordered separately) it's been fine.
not a dick at all, you have a good point.

With smok tanks the way it seals is the chiney screws onto the coil head and the coil head screws into the base, the pressure of these screwed together is what holds the glass in place on the orings. If someone cross threads it or lets say smok maked a bad coil ehad, it'll leak from the glass as it wont be held in place properly. OP says it's leaking from the bottom airflow, whos is only possible if the coil head isn't screwed in all the way or if he has major flooding (which i've never seen from a smok coil personally). here are some things i can think of

1) flooding - use more wattage. are you getting a lot of popping noises and spitback?
2) Flooding - did you accidentally get juice down the chimney instead of the fill hole? juice down the chimney will leak out of the air holes on the bottom
3) coil head isn't screwed all the way into the base or the oring where it screws in is not there or damaged

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Thanks for the reply-
I've been through maybe 15 coils - a few times, especially when I first got the regular Tfv4, it didn't leak. I have tried filling 1/2 way and still dumped out from the bottom air flow. The last time I tried I thought I had it but then it dumped the half of tank on my IPV3D and killed it.
I also found a guy selling o-rings for the coils on eBay, bought some and still leaked.
I'm trying something different this afternoon - changed coil o-ring, AGAIN, and tightening a little - maybe I crushed the other o-rings? Although I'm an older guy and have repaired/rebuilt most everything from car engines to washing machines to high end video tape recorders (and everything in between) so I'm not an idiot about assembling things.

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
not a dick at all, you have a good point.

With smok tanks the way it seals is the chiney screws onto the coil head and the coil head screws into the base, the pressure of these screwed together is what holds the glass in place on the orings. If someone cross threads it or lets say smok maked a bad coil ehad, it'll leak from the glass as it wont be held in place properly. OP says it's leaking from the bottom airflow, whos is only possible if the coil head isn't screwed in all the way or if he has major flooding (which i've never seen from a smok coil personally). here are some things i can think of

1) flooding - use more wattage. are you getting a lot of popping noises and spitback?
2) Flooding - did you accidentally get juice down the chimney instead of the fill hole? juice down the chimney will leak out of the air holes on the bottom
3) coil head isn't screwed all the way into the base or the oring where it screws in is not there or damaged
Thanks for reply - nope didn't cross thread, very careful when starting - and this has been MANY coils. Tfv4 and two Tfv4 minis.
Nope didn't put liquid in chimney
Wattage mostly 32-40 watts
Can't tell if it is spitting back or gurgling because when it leaks it just dumps
I also have a Freemax Starre Pro that has never leaked, a Griffin RTA, that leaks once in a while depending on the way I get the cotton in it and a Sapor dripper that is my favorite. So I'm not just slapping things together and I appreciate the responses but these things are driving me CRAZY.
LOL

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have four TFV4, three TFV8, nine TFV4 Micro, four TFV8 Baby but not one of them leak.
Maybe I ordered the wrong ones.
I'm thinking it's me but I just can't nail it down - NO problems with my other brand tanks

cynkrzy

Old Guy with a New Trick
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm thinking it's me but I just can't nail it down - NO problems with my other brand tanks
if you fill it just a little, blow the coil/chimney joint, does it dump then?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks for reply - nope didn't cross thread, very careful when starting - and this has been MANY coils. Tfv4 and two Tfv4 minis.
Nope didn't put liquid in chimney
Wattage mostly 32-40 watts
Can't tell if it is spitting back or gurgling because when it leaks it just dumps
I also have a Freemax Starre Pro that has never leaked, a Griffin RTA, that leaks once in a while depending on the way I get the cotton in it and a Sapor dripper that is my favorite. So I'm not just slapping things together and I appreciate the responses but these things are driving me CRAZY.
LOL
well if it's dumping the whole tank, it's not flooding. wattage won't matter then. it sounds like the vacuum isn't there so it isn't sealing.
for instance lets say an RTA like the boreas. if you have the top open and your filling and the AFC/JFC open it'll dump out right away. The only way for juice to get to the bottom air hole is either from under the coil head itself where it screws into the base or through the chimney. based on your description though i would guess the bottom where the coil head meets the base. You should test it with water. it's thinner so it'll be easier to see where it leaks (plus you aren't wasting juice then). look for bubbles, if it doesn't bubble then you dont' have a good seal on the tank and air is getting in. If it bubbles your tank is sealed off good.

There is an old mechanics trick to find leaks in gas lines. some soapy water in a spray bottle. spray the tank and look for bubbles

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it made you sound like a dick.
It did however make me sound like one because you are right.
I provided nothing to assist the OP.
Sorry @DrKvape
Can you provide real close up pics that'll show the tank assembled pointing out the threading?
This may help.
Hell, as many pics showing everything may help.
We can all guess all day long and you can continue trying every possible solution but maybe the right pic could possibly point of the issue.
Then again, there may be nothing more than 3 defective tanks.
Hopefully that is not the case and the issue can be resolved.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really don't think it is you.
It is either something really simple that is just being overlooked or 3 defective tanks.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you don't have the watts up high enough to burn the juice you are sucking into the coil perhaps. I have almost every tank our local store has sold.. None of mine leak but the owner has all the tanks and all his leak. Only difference is he vapes his in 15 to 20 watts where I am normally in the low to mid forties. Smoks, Griffins ect in the mid seventies. Big tanks with big juice holes are made to suck in a lot of juice. If you don't burn it off it sits in the bottom and fills up as you go. Only my Smok TF-RDTA leaks but only if it sits over night. My TFV4's never leak. Griffin 25 Plus is my best tank and never leaks much. Don't own the TFV8 as it is unneeded with my Griffin 25 Plus in which I plan to buy a second one just to put away for a later date.

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you don't have the watts up high enough to burn the juice you are sucking into the coil perhaps. I have almost every tank our local store has sold.. None of mine leak but the owner has all the tanks and all his leak. Only difference is he vapes his in 15 to 20 watts where I am normally in the low to mid forties. Smoks, Griffins ect in the mid seventies. Big tanks with big juice holes are made to suck in a lot of juice. If you don't burn it off it sits in the bottom and fills up as you go. Only my Smok TF-RDTA leaks but only if it sits over night. My TFV4's never leak. Griffin 25 Plus is my best tank and never leaks much. Don't own the TFV8 as it is unneeded with my Griffin 25 Plus in which I plan to buy a second one just to put away for a later date.
Thanks for that insight - I tried the mini again last night. I put a heavier o-ring on the coil (bought on eBay) and tightened it down pretty hard. NOT leaking yet, fingers crossed, so I'm going to blame previous failures on bad/flimsy SMOK o-rings.
and on a different but close topic - picked up a SMOK Alien tonight with Tfv8 Beast mini - NO problems or leaks and great flavor. I guess I'll give SMOK yet another chance.

DrKvapes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies folks - picked up a SMOK Alien tonight with Tfv8 Beast mini - NO problems or leaks and great flavor. I guess I'll give SMOK yet another chance.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all the replies folks - picked up a SMOK Alien tonight with Tfv8 Beast mini - NO problems or leaks and great flavor. I guess I'll give SMOK yet another chance.

I have 4 Babies with nary a leak. My cinnamon dusted doughnut juice did seep through the cotton and drain out of the airflow ring on one coil. I just chalk that up to the cinnamon. I cleaned the coil, used a different juice, and no leaks.

Glad to see you having some better luck. :)

Carhauler71

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you running a high enough VG? From what I've read and was told at my local shop, you should run a 70/30 blend minimum.

I had 3 tfv4 minis, they all leaked. I called the shop I got them from, they told me to make sure everything was tight and to change out the glass that came on it with the extra glass that came with them, everything was already tight. I changed the glass and none leaked again... Idk why but it worked...(they were leaking from the vent holes)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'm know I'm late, but these tanks have an obvious design flaw. There is a bloody hole in the bottom. I think a lot of people don't realise this because...well, you'd think SMOK would have engineers intelligent enough to recognise the poor design.

The coils connect to the 5-pin via a two pronged metal piece. Above this two pronged connecting piece...is a hole. On either side of the two pronged connector...holes. So the only thing actually sitting between your liquid and the air-flow, is the cotton. From an engineering perspective it's really piss-poor, because a piece of cotton is not going to hold the liquid in place in an environment of changing pressure and temperatures. The tank, by inherent design, cannot actually be a vacuum. Because it has a bleeding great hole in it. Faffing around with 0-rings and tape does seem to sort the issue for some, but really, in future, SMOK should just design their tanks so their isn't a hole in them. It's always going to leak. From airflow to coil to cotton to liquid...holes :p.

I've gone back to my old reliable, the only one that ever just bloody works every time without being a pain in my ass - a T18. You'll notice with this incredible piece of engineering, some bright spark had the idea to properly seal the tank...and not leave a leaky hole in it. Incredible.

Sorry I know I sound snide but the design issue is just...well it boggles my mind really. If you build a liquid container...with a hole in it...the liquid is going to go everywhere.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It isn't a SMOK thing. Most coils are built like that. Even in RTAs, the wicking is all that holds back the juice.

It isn't a SMOK thing. Most coils are built like that. Even in RTAs, the wicking is all that holds back the juice.

No for sure, I'm sure it isn't just a SMOK thing. But it is going to lead to leakage right? I mean this thing, I'm literally getting half a tank of juice on my hands every time I pick it up. Always out of the air-flow. It's not worth using. I could get a new tank I guess, but don't really feel I should have to do that.

One thing I have noticed is that of the 15 coils I currently have, every single one of them has a badly seated lower o-ring, some of them even have holes in the rubber and other defects.

I guess it is a relatively new industry, they're still playing with designs (I don't pretend to understand it fully by any means) I imagine. But it does make me wary of buying new devices...because I'm not sure which ones I can trust and which I can't. I've never had any issue with Innokin products and I'm sticking with them for now.

It's a shame really because it does have a lovely feel in my hand (I'm a lefty) and I really like the vapour production. But I can't take it our anywhere with me :p.

VU Sponsors