Become a Patron!

Smok R80 Kit(Micro TFV4 & R80 TC Mod) Having Issues With Going Through Coils

Purchased my Smok R80 kit as my first mod, wife has had a Kangertech subox mini and now she has a Smok X Cube Mini using an Aspire tank on it with zero issues. Anyways, I purchased the R80 kit and it came with two coils, the clapton and then the .25 micro dual core used for Temp Control. Everything has been well and I actually messed up the Clapton coil pretty quick by messing around doing this or that and actually dropped it one night and the coil broke but no other damage to the mod(I hate the charging port being on the bottom, I was sitting on the edge of my dresser to charger and it eventually got me and dropped it and it broke the coil but not the glass, weird I know whatever). Anyways, primed the other coil that came with the kit, and set the temp control to 420*(I've never smoked and never like it "hot" because I never smoked and I use 0 nicotine e-juices). I usually use it to help with sweet tooth cravings and it's a relative cheap hobby that me and the wife share(she actually uses nicotine with hers because she actually did smoke before). Anyways, I liked the .25 Stainless dual core coils used for temp control so I ran back by the vapor store and picked up a pack of 5 coils for the future. My problem is the following: I prime the coil(I did install the extension on the micro tank so it's the 3.5ml capacity now instead of the 2.5 as it comes from the factory) anyways, I prime the coil and let it sit for 10-15 minutes after I put the juice in and then do 3-5 dry pulls with the air holes closed to make sure it's got ejuice in the coil and is primed really well. The first tank of juice is perfect, some of the best flavor I've ever gotten from the multiple mods I've tried. It all goes to hell when I use all the juice up and I go to refill the tank, it's like no matter what I do I get nothing but dry hits. I've tried temp control and Wattage mode with the same results, in temp control I do 420-440F and wattage I'll do 30-40 watts depending on the juice I'm using. Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? I don't see how it does so well with a new coil and the first 3.5ml of juice but after it's like it needs a new coil everytime the tank gets low. This is impossible to afford really, I don't mind if the coil will last a week but one day, no way. I was thinking about trying the TFV4 mini or fullsize to see if I have better luck. I've noticed the micro coils will wick really good with the first tank but after I fill it back up it's like the juice doesn't wick into the coil at all and it's really frustrating. It's gotten to the point I'm about to give up and just let her do it and me give it up since it's 0 nicotine anyways but I like it as a hobby we both can share and some of the e-juices taste amazingly good. Everything on the mod is setup correctly, I've watched reviews and the guys can kit them at 60-80watts and act like they give great flavor but if I go over 40 I get a dry hit that feels like a flame thrower in your throat. I've let multiple people look at it just to make sure I"m not missing something obvious. I think I'm going to go buy a couple of the micro claptons and use it in wattage mode and see how that goes. Has anyone had any issues similar to this or have any ideas on things to try? I've ran the numbers and both the mod and coils are authentic so it's not fake stuff I'm dealing with. Just really frustrated and wanting to get it going the way it should be, if it takes buying a new tank to fix it so be it because I will, I just don't want to waste the 40-50$ plus coils and end up with the same results. Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post but I was trying to explain my situation as well as possible. Hopefully someone can help me shed some light on my issue. I don't want to give up after coming so far and loving my mod when working right just aggravated at the current situation. Thank you guys for any info/help/suggestions.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the only thing i can guess would be if your using a dark liquid? maybe the screens the the juice run through to the coil are getting gunked up after one tanks use. The only other thing i can think of would be negative pressure build up when you refill. Maybe something in the way of the airflow when you dropped it? I would try the clapton and see if you have same result. If you do then I would think it would have to be either the kind of juice your using, or maybe some damage did happen to the tank when you dropped it and are unable to see it without a real close look at all the parts.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After u refill take a bunch of primer puffs before you vape. Also don't lets the tank go bone dry.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

IMG_6180.JPG Thanks for the replies.

I only use pretty much clear juice and I do the primer puffs(air flow closed off, mod turned off, do like 5 good pulls through the coil without any voltage being applied) before I actually hit it and I don't let it run "dry". Once it gets to the top of the wicking holes in the coil, I consider that "empty" and refill. Pulling a coil out and looking in it the cotton is still white but you can see the inside that the metal has a burnt char look to it. I actually cut one apart and the cotton was white but the metal had a char like that would scrape off easily once I stretched the coil out to get a good look at it. It's so weird that I'm running such low wattages/temps that it's killing the metal(btw their all stainless steel coils). I'm going to buy some claptons as I said before and see what results I get and if still the same then I'm going to switch tanks and see what kind of results I have. I'll add a picture of the juices I'm using currently and you can see how most aren't very dark at all.

-Edit-
Pic added.
The far right and the third from the left is what I've been vaping mostly and they're almost clear as you can see. FWIW, the one that's second from the left actually gave me the longest coil life of like 3-4 days before it gave me the dry hit taste. As you can see from the usage the darker juices I have I've not even used yet as I've heard their rougher on coils so if I'm not getting anywhere with basically water like liquids I'm afraid of the darker ones, lol.

Last edited:
My wife has the aspire triton 2 tank and she vapes the hell out of that thing and a coil will last her at least a week or longer. She actually vapes nicotine and hits it a lot harder than I do because I'm mainly after flavor, I prime my coils really well, let them sit for 10-20 minutes in the tank once full and do the dry pulls before I ever use them and I get shafted, lol. Seems like I do everything by the book but I don't get shit for coil life, considering I don't do it for the nicotine I want to get it figured out because it's running into extra money just for some flavor here and there. If the claptons don't work, which tank do you all suggest? I love the micro tfv4 design and 3.5ml is a good size amount of liquid for me but I'm open to anything that will give me longer coil life and just as good of flavor. Thanks

TTT Anyone else using this tank with any similar issues? I only use "bakery/sweet" flavors so is it possible the wicking holes are getting "clogged" up? I'm not a heavy vapor user but I do like for it to work when I do use it. Thanks

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Make sure you are locking the resistance of the coil before you start heating it up. This will stop your mod from reading it at different resistances. Also make sure you turn your wattage down when in TC mode. My RX shoots to 200w when I switch to TC mode and i have to turn it down. Start low with the wattage when you are in TC mode and work it up. When you increase/decrease the temp.. start back over with the wattage. Once you get it where you want it then you can lock the wattage/Temp and you will get the same vape each time. This helps a lot trust me.

I have the micro r2 in mine and build my own coils. I have issues also but im convinced its juice related. If i use charlies no issues at all or even ruthless e juice. Anything else i get horrible rough vapes.

VU Sponsors