Become a Patron!

smok g-priv ohm reading question

mrjgriffin413

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i recently bought the horizon arco sub ohm tank and put it on my g-priv. both coils that come with the tank are 0.2 ohm coils. the first time i screwed it on the mod it read around .34. the second time it read .27. i know that i can manually set the ohms on my g-priv by setting it in TC mode whether i vape in tc or not. i was curious is it safe/recommended to manually set my ohms to .2 ohms since that's what the coils are rated at? i'm not sure if the 510 is shorting out or something but vaping a .2 at .27 or .34 seems like it would damage the coil quicker in my opinion. any recommendations?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i recently bought the horizon arco sub ohm tank and put it on my g-priv. both coils that come with the tank are 0.2 ohm coils. the first time i screwed it on the mod it read around .34. the second time it read .27. i know that i can manually set the ohms on my g-priv by setting it in TC mode whether i vape in tc or not. i was curious is it safe/recommended to manually set my ohms to .2 ohms since that's what the coils are rated at? i'm not sure if the 510 is shorting out or something but vaping a .2 at .27 or .34 seems like it would damage the coil quicker in my opinion. any recommendations?

Use the value the mod or an OHM reader says they are. NEVER trust the label on a package or description in an advertisment.

In the meantime make sure your posts are tight and all other connections good. A little variation between uses can be normal......... 510 connection just a little cleaner or tighter than the last time, Ambient temperature can even cause some change.

mrjgriffin413

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks for the reply i was worried my mod was acting up. i appreciate it. Do you know any good methods to clean my 510 pin on my mod and the threads around it? i read rubbing alcohol on a qtip is good? i work in a shop and its a really dirty place so i'm sure it needs a good cleaning.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the q-tip and alcohol method to clean Or a bit of Paper towel.
You mod may still be acting up. More likely a loose post screw. And a .07ohm SWING IS PRETTY BIG. i would expect to see no more than .02-.03 ohm going from cold to hot or hot to cold. BUT a just fired coil could be as much as 0.10 or a little more. A hot coil should read higher than when cold.

Oh and sometimes multi wire coils just a have a bit more internal shorting going on and take a bit of burning to get the to even out and stabilize.

mrjgriffin413

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i'll try cleaning. my mod is reading it at .24 right now. it might be time to just buy a new mod in a few weeks if cleaning the pin doesn't change it. idk how i'd fix a loose 510 so yea. i've had 3 mods 2 smok and 1 eleaf. 1st smok mod just died for no reason. the eleaf gave me short atomizer readings all the time and now this g priv is reading funny and misfires sometimes :(. was thinking of grabbing a smoant charon or the voopoo drag but my tank would overhang a bit on the voopoo but the mod is beautiful.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i'll try cleaning. my mod is reading it at .24 right now. it might be time to just buy a new mod in a few weeks if cleaning the pin doesn't change it. idk how i'd fix a loose 510 so yea. i've had 3 mods 2 smok and 1 eleaf. 1st smok mod just died for no reason. the eleaf gave me short atomizer readings all the time and now this g priv is reading funny and misfires sometimes :(. was thinking of grabbing a smoant charon or the voopoo drag but my tank would overhang a bit on the voopoo but the mod is beautiful.
Don't just assume it's your mod.

Check the arco on a different mod. Confirm if the problem is with the mod, the tank or the coils. Put a different tank on your gpriv and see how it reads. Put a new coil in the arco and see how it reads.

Make sure the coil is properly tighten down in the tank and the tank property tighten down on the mod.

VU Sponsors