Smok Bec pro started draining batteries

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hubby's been having problems the past couple of days with this mod rapidly draining batteries. The battery would last a day and a half before, now they seem to drain overnight. I use the same batteries sony vtc5 in my ipv2 and they last me 24 hours. His vaping style and atty has not changed. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
His battery could just be on it's way out. When he charges it back up from dead what voltage does it start at (if your charger tells you) and how long does it take to charge back up?
If you have a charger that tells you how many mah you put back in, that would be helpful. Like from dead 1,000 mah back in is about normal. 200 mah (or whatever) from dead, the battery is done.

Does it do the same thing if he uses one of your batteries that you are not having issues with?

I would assume that mod has low voltage cut off so you cant over discharge the battery but it sounds like a battery that was run too low or is just old and on it's way out.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use the same batteries and do not have the same problems. Iy appears yhat it is the device.The batteries are only a couple of months old. My charger does have a read out.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if you use your batteries in his mod it's the same problem? Very short run time?
What did the charger tell you when you charge his batteries? How many mah does his battery take from empty?

Also, even if the batteries are not old, he could have just got a bad cell. Out of the thousands they put out there will be some duds.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The same batteries will last 24 hours in the ipv2. I have the intellicharger i4 and it doesn't have a read out, but the battery is is drained and takes the same amount of time to charge as they usually do.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Process of elimination...
When you say the same batteries, you mean you tried his battery in your mod and it lasted a whole day?
Or you mean the same brand and model lasts a whole day?

If you put his battery in your mod does it last a whole day like your good battery does? If so it's not the battery, it's his mod.
If you put your known good battery in his mod does it only last a couple hours? If so its not his battery, its his mod. If your known good battery in his mod lasts all day you know it's his battery.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes His battery in my mod lasts a whole day. I think it must be the mod, but wondering how we can fix it or why it may be draining the battery so quickly when not in use.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's your answer, it's the mod.
How to fix it, not sure if its like the provari where you can dump rubbing alcohol in it and swish it around to clean any juice that may have seeped down into the electronics or not but if there is juice in there it could be conducting across joints on the board or who knows. But if it is draining the batt just sitting there without use something is connecting the + & - to pull power out over time. Its obviously not a dead short or really bad shit would happen but if a couple solder points are connecting by liquid and a minuscule amount of power is transferring, that will drain the batt over night.

Edit:
I couldn't find anything online about cleaning it and cleaning is not mentioned in the manual. I would think it would be fine though (99% alcohol or contact cleaner).

Last edited:

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now he tells me he's dropped it a couple of times.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's your answer, it's the mod.
How to fix it, not sure if its like the provari where you can dump rubbing alcohol in it and swish it around to clean any juice that may have seeped down into the electronics or not but if there is juice in there it could be conducting across joints on the board or who knows. But if it is draining the batt just sitting there without use something is connecting the + & - to pull power out over time. Its obviously not a dead short or really bad shit would happen but if a couple solder points are connecting by liquid and a minuscule amount of power is transferring, that will drain the batt over night.
Thanks for your help, I think it needs to be retired. It's not very old. Just ordered a couple of sigelei 100 plus. His n hers.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha ha! Now the truth comes out :D
Husband: Honey, did I mention that I dropped it from the second story? :oops:

If you have new mods on the way and are retiring the smok, might as well try a alcohol bath. If that fixes it he can use it till the new mod comes and keep it as a backup.

Last edited:

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ha ha! Now the truth comes out :D
Husband: Honey, did I mention that I dropped it from the second story? :oops:

If you have new mods on the way and are retiring the smok, might as well try a alcohol bath. If that fixes it he can use it till the new mod comes and keep it as a backup.
Well I never. The alcohol bath worked like a charm. He has full battery after it sitting over night, where as prior to the alcohol it would have drained. Thank you very much for the advice.

VU Sponsors