Become a Patron!

Smok Alien temp control setting help

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I have been reading for the last two days (actually way more, off and on for the last month before I finally built my first set of coils). Either I have read too much and somehow managed to mis-interpret the information and make myself more confused, or I just simply do not understand temp control.

I am using the Smok Alien220, Limitless RDTA, dual coil, SS 316 28 ga wire, 8 wraps spaced, 3 mm ID (0.410 ohms), and the settings on the MOD are: temp mode (have tried everything from 400℉ to 500℉) , set to SS, I have tried just about every strength setting from 35 watts to 110 watts, TC-SS is set @0.00092, I have tried raising and lowering this between 0.00088 & 0.00105 (0.00105 was where it was set from the factory). I have also opened and closed the air flow control.

I chain vape!

This issue I am having is the MOD is constantly going into temp protection. Sometimes I'll get 5 good hits, sometimes it goes into temp protection every hit. It appears to continue to fire even when the MOD displays "temp protection". I'm not sure if what I have learned and put to use is my mis-interpretation of temp mode or if this is normal. I just don't want to damage my MOD....or my face!

I have read a lot on a lot of different searches. I also found a page that claimed to completely explain temp control on the Smok Alien...and they really didn't.

I will say this, so far the flavor IS much better and the cotton is not brown on day two of this setup. Normally, my cotton is already brown using kanthal after a couple of hours of use.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to try and put everything in that I can think of. Thanks all!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most mods say that when they reach the set temp. All it means is that the mod is doing its thing and limiting the temp so vape away.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Temp Protection isn't a warning. It just means that the coil has reached the temp you set.

Your main problem is the Alien's TC sucks. Trust me. I have 3 of them, and the only coils I've managed to properly TC are tiny single wire and single claptons in a Subtank Mini @15-25W. Sad, but true.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just wanted to add:

It is extremely unlikely you'll blow your face off with a regulated mod.

Try your SS build in wattage mode. Use the preheat settings. You will probably prefer it to the TC on this particular mod.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The Temp Protection isn't a warning. It just means that the coil has reached the temp you set.

Your main problem is the Alien's TC sucks. Trust me. I have 3 of them, and the only coils I've managed to properly TC are tiny single wire and single claptons in a Subtank Mini @15-25W. Sad, but true.
this^ don't waste your time trying to get a good TC vape out of an alien

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't believe no one's helped you with this. Dual SS 316L TC is 112-118 (.00112-.00118) according to DJ.
As the others have said though, hitting that temp limit is what is supposed to happen. Unfortunately, while great at many things, the Alien is not a good or even decent TC mod. If you're dead set on TC, go DNA, Yihi, or FSK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
Can't believe no one's helped you with this. Dual SS 316L TC is 112-118 (.00112-.00118) according to DJ.
As the others have said though, hitting that temp limit is what is supposed to happen. Unfortunately, while great at many things, the Alien is not a good or even decent TC mod. If you're dead set on TC, go DNA, Yihi, or FSK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I had not found any posts or websites that said to go that high on the TC-SS setting. Only thing I found was .00088 to .00095. I changed it to .00118 and it still displays the temp protection, but it does not cut off like it did before. And a very good vape at this setting. Plus, I have it set to 380 ℉ now and all seems to be working great!

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
That really was the trick. I still have a lot to learn about temp control, but that helped a ton! Now I have a smooth draw, steady "sizzle" instead of cutting out, and great flavor. Thanks!

VU Sponsors