Become a Patron!

Smok Alien SS TC Mode info

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got the Smok Alien a few days ago and while I do really like the form factor and mainly vape in power mode I noticed the TC was off for me with SS316L builds compared to my DNA and FSK mods.

Wasn't until I read a post in reddit that I checked it out for myself and found out the TCR for the SS is 105, that is for SS 304 and not 316L. Yep, I went back into the mode and chose SS then the next screen says the TCR and it is 105, the TCR for 304. It is easily correctable but you have to have a TCR table or just know it from memory:

qDpbMVR.jpg

I put on the tank I have set-up with a 304 build first and it vaped great. Then I took it off and put on a 316L build tank and adjusted the TCR for 92, works good but I have to tinker a bit more to get it right.

Going to check out Daniels review of the Alien tomorrow, not sure if he comments on this. I do have the latest update as well just in case someone asks.

Aside from that though I am really liking the Smok Alien, crazy compact and well built for a dual 18650 mode.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got the Smok Alien a few days ago and while I do really like the form factor and mainly vape in power mode I noticed the TC was off for me with SS316L builds compared to my DNA and FSK mods.

Wasn't until I read a post in reddit that I checked it out for myself and found out the TCR for the SS is 105, that is for SS 304 and not 316L. Yep, I went back into the mode and chose SS then the next screen says the TCR and it is 105, the TCR for 304. It is easily correctable but you have to have a TCR table or just know it from memory:

qDpbMVR.jpg

I put on the tank I have set-up with a 304 build first and it vaped great. Then I took it off and put on a 316L build tank and adjusted the TCR for 92, works good but I have to tinker a bit more to get it right.

Going to check out Daniels review of the Alien tomorrow, not sure if he comments on this. I do have the latest update as well just in case someone asks.

Aside from that though I am really liking the Smok Alien, crazy compact and well built for a dual 18650 mode.

If you are having any issues with firing bar DJLSB just put up a fix for it this morning.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just watched Daniels review and he mentions the SS setting. I wish they would just have different settings like a lot of other mods do or just have the TCR set to 92 since almost all premade coils are SS316L.

The clickiness of the bottom doesn't bother me. It clicks when I tap on the bottom of the fire bar, I just don't do that unless I am bored....lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had the blue for a week. I have zero clickiness and zero gaps. I'd say it's flawless. I have many MANY mods. This is my favorite for many reasons.
I have to agree with you there. I wouldn't say I've had tons of mods, 9 or 10 off the top of my head. I've been doing this for almost three years (and no ciggies since the day I got my first MTL spinner) and this is easily my favorite mod. Most of my sub ohm mods have been Smok or Sigelei, and while I don't have anything participatory bad to say about a single one, this is far and away my favorite. The only two that failed were an Eleaf TC 40-watt and my XCube II, but the latter was just the threads on the mod finally stripped after a year-and-a-half of constant usage. The Alien is just a smidge wider than my Sig Mini, but it holds twice the power, looks amazing, and puts out 7.33 times the wattage. Hard to argue with that!

PSX_20161201_064156_resized-1.jpg

Thanks for the TCR info, mjag! I've been using it at the 0.0098 (or however many zeroes there are supposed to be) seeing that the XCube II used and it was okay, but cut back more often than I'd like. The 0.0092 setting is PERFECT.

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

qDpbMVR.jpg

Goes to show how few people have actually experienced a "real" TC device. I haven't considered getting one of these but with all the hype IV been reading the threads and it seems most people using 316L are quite pleased with its performance in the factory setting. I have never been a TC guy, always tried it and went right back to power mode, the panzer was the first TC I liked followed by the G2, none of the others did it for me

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Goes to show how few people have actually experienced a "real" TC device. I haven't considered getting one of these but with all the hype IV been reading the threads and it seems most people using 316L are quite pleased with its performance in the factory setting. I have never been a TC guy, always tried it and went right back to power mode, the panzer was the first TC I liked followed by the G2, none of the others did it for me
Agreed. I'm about 80/20 VW/TC. I only use TC with Uwell coils because they're mostly SS. I think I've bought maybe 3 or four nickel coils in my life and one TFV4 Titanium coil. SS is far and away the best of the three, IMHO.

Someone can tell me how can I block the Ohm of the coil on the Alien?
Thanks so much!

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Someone can tell me how can I block the Ohm of the coil on the Alien?
Thanks so much!

you mean lock the resistance? you shouldn't have to do that

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
If I press the fire button, the Ohm value change from 0,161 to 0,200.
I don't know why!!! Someone can help me?

because it's reading live resistance and the resistance increases when the wire heats up. what kind of wire are you using

because it's reading live resistance and the resistance increases when the wire heats up. what kind of wire are you using
I'm using SS316L, but I tought the Ohm value had to remain the same of the first reading.
Have you ever tried the TC setting?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm using SS316L, but I tought the Ohm value had to remain the same of the first reading.
Have you ever tried the TC setting?

A little bit on the alien but you shouldn't have to lock it. live resistance =/= the set resistance. If your vape is good i wouldn't worry about it

Street_hawk666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the chart .. built a Clapton 316L coil and it was rubbish before changing to the chart values now great thick clouds loads of flavour in TCC mode

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bit of a necro post but definitely need to check tcr of tc mods. Most that feature an 'ss' mode aren't for 316L and the vape will be off with the settings looking a bit whacko. Istick's are the same way, I just set mine up in one of the memory settings and use that for tc in place of the stock 'ss' mode option. Something to keep in mind when using ss in tc on various mods.

VU Sponsors