Become a Patron!

Smok alien problems

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure, I picked up a couple silicone sleeves for like $2 from fasttech when I ordered the alien earlier tonight. Had to hurry. Seems either they changed the sale or I read it wrong. I was under the impression it was 20% off for the Chinese New Year but apparently it's a tiered discount and I missed the 20% off. Caught the 15% off and tomorrow through Feb 3rd I believe they drop it to 10% off. Hopefully they fit well, if not guess I'm only out a couple dollars.

Edit, found them on amazon but they're expensive. $10-11 for the same basic silicone sleeves that are shipping from China for like $1.50. A place called momovaping says they ship from the U.S., looks to be the same sleeves for $10. Probably like a lot of things, one or two factories pumping out a ton of them and most are just bought and resold by others.

Last edited:

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my alien , its a work in progress

VmrlzSO.jpg

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure, I picked up a couple silicone sleeves for like $2 from fasttech when I ordered the alien earlier tonight. Had to hurry. Seems either they changed the sale or I read it wrong. I was under the impression it was 20% off for the Chinese New Year but apparently it's a tiered discount and I missed the 20% off. Caught the 15% off and tomorrow through Feb 3rd I believe they drop it to 10% off. Hopefully they fit well, if not guess I'm only out a couple dollars.

Edit, found them on amazon but they're expensive. $10-11 for the same basic silicone sleeves that are shipping from China for like $1.50. A place called momovaping says they ship from the U.S., looks to be the same sleeves for $10. Probably like a lot of things, one or two factories pumping out a ton of them and most are just bought and resold by others.
Thanks.. I love amazon and don't mind paying a little extra. I can't buy from ebay cuz they won't take my card and I won't buy from china (I'm weird I know) :)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jPhilly215 have you been scraping off the paint and polishing the metal? Can't tell from the pic if it's down to metal or been partially repainted.

Originally I wanted a black/gunmetal alien. FT didn't have them, they had the straight black and I liked the looks of it. Ended up going with silver though, seems like when the paint goes it's a lot more noticeable on black mods. At least it is on my isticks. There's a grayish layer underneath, some sort of primer or something. The minute the black scratches off it's a glaring mark.

@celticluvr there's also the jwraps or whatever they're called for around the same price as the silicone sleeves from amazon. Not protective like a case but more designs to choose from and protects the finish on the major areas, the glossy beauty ring accents like around the screen don't get covered though. May be worth looking through the selection there, one of the sleeves I ran across was a little different. Instead of smooth silicone it was textured. Called 'mod shield' by jojo or something along those lines. Guess it's a matter of whether you like smooth or ribbed. lol

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@jPhilly215 have you been scraping off the paint and polishing the metal? Can't tell from the pic if it's down to metal or been partially repainted.

Originally I wanted a black/gunmetal alien. FT didn't have them, they had the straight black and I liked the looks of it. Ended up going with silver though, seems like when the paint goes it's a lot more noticeable on black mods. At least it is on my isticks. There's a grayish layer underneath, some sort of primer or something. The minute the black scratches off it's a glaring mark.

@celticluvr there's also the jwraps or whatever they're called for around the same price as the silicone sleeves from amazon. Not protective like a case but more designs to choose from and protects the finish on the major areas, the glossy beauty ring accents like around the screen don't get covered though. May be worth looking through the selection there, one of the sleeves I ran across was a little different. Instead of smooth silicone it was textured. Called 'mod shield' by jojo or something along those lines. Guess it's a matter of whether you like smooth or ribbed. lol

polished like a mirror

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks.. I love amazon and don't mind paying a little extra. I can't buy from ebay cuz they won't take my card and I won't buy from china (I'm weird I know) :)
Not weird. I also don't order for China but only because I'm impatient.

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks. I cross posted, sorry. Just showin off :D Got a few others I have done too.

me as well , its pretty fun . id suggest using a 1500 / 2000 grit paper then a all metal polish. if you have a dremel they work great to buff them out . when you hand sand go in one direction if you can . I was at BM today people thought it was chrome . We had people that came in thinking it was a limited chrome edition

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
My Alien paint job was teh shit too. Had a little extra time today so I scraped all the crayon off and used a wire rotary brush to give it a brushed look, and polished it up. I coated the squeeze trigger with plasti-dip for grip, but that will undoubtedly come off within a week. :)

View attachment 73189 View attachment 73190 View attachment 73191

I like that look better than the paint. I'm fortunate my paint is still intact, but am still tempted to strip and refinish it anyway. I guess you could clear coat it as well to protect the metal or will that not bond to the zinc alloy case?

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like that look better than the paint. I'm fortunate my paint is still intact, but am still tempted to strip and refinish it anyway. I guess you could clear coat it as well to protect the metal or will that not bond to the zinc alloy case?

you could get poly to stick

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These chrome aliens are making me wanna do mine...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
i agree, i have a skin on mine but if my paint starts chipping anywhere ill be pulling all that paint off.

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, my Alien came in, and my protective case came in on the same day. Loving the textured feel. I thought the bottom opening for the battery would be handy, but it's not easy to open with the case on. The case fits very nicely, but it's not too difficult to remove if I have to change batteries. My 2-year-old Segelei 100+ still looks brand-new because I always kept it in its sleeve. I've dropped it a few times, but you'd never notice. Hopefully, my Alien will be as resilient...it's certainly heavier than the Segelei, despite being smaller.

Here's the link for the case, if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3YVO7C

kEHR2Vo.jpg

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, my Alien came in, and my protective case came in on the same day. Loving the textured feel. I thought the bottom opening for the battery would be handy, but it's not easy to open with the case on. The case fits very nicely, but it's not too difficult to remove if I have to change batteries. My 2-year-old Segelei 100+ still looks brand-new because I always kept it in its sleeve. I've dropped it a few times, but you'd never notice. Hopefully, my Alien will be as resilient...it's certainly heavier than the Segelei, despite being smaller.

Here's the link for the case, if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3YVO7C

kEHR2Vo.jpg

nice case , Im they anti case type person myself . even my cell phones I always felt I got something for a reason . ALthough I enjoy vinyl wraps I guess because you can decide which you like

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

kEHR2Vo.jpg
Awesome! I will definitely get one! :xD:

Is anyone else having problems with the tank staying on after they change the coil? I changed the coil for the first time last weeked, and the tank hasn't stayed on since. I tied changing the gasket, thinking maybe I did something to it when I removed the tank, but that didn't help. Any suggestions? It has fooled me twice now, and I can't have my tank dump in my purse again. I really appreciate any helpful suggestions!
:frog:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Is anyone else having problems with the tank staying on after they change the coil? I changed the coil for the first time last weeked, and the tank hasn't stayed on since. I tied changing the gasket, thinking maybe I did something to it when I removed the tank, but that didn't help. Any suggestions? It has fooled me twice now, and I can't have my tank dump in my purse again. I really appreciate any helpful suggestions!
:frog:
it means it's not screwed all the way in. the coil head has to screw all the way into the chimney so the glass is tight or it'll leak

Anybody who has the alien had any problems with the paint chipping on the mod. It hasn't been dropped and been in my pocket the whole time. It's only been two weeks and its chipped worse than any mod I've used for three years ugh.

Just spent about 4 hours repainting mine. Had the exact same issue. 2 weeks in and i could peel the paint off with my fingernail. Now i have a badass Custom Smok Alien 220 Black and Gold with a TFV12. IMG_4779.jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

kEHR2Vo.jpg

The case looks nice. The protective ones I ordered with mine aren't textured but similar. I saw a pic of it with the battery door open which I'd assume they're trying to show there's battery access even with the case on. It looked like part of the case surrounding the battery door extended past it a bit so figured it might be a pia, what you said pretty much confirms it. Not a big drawback though.

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, it's pretty easy to take off, but not so much that I worry about it sliding off. And the batteries last all day and into the next, so I'm not changing them very often.

View attachment 66487

View attachment 66491
View attachment 66492
View attachment 66493
View attachment 66494
I admit I don't exactly handle it with kid gloves, but I only dropped it once. It didn't bounce, or roll down a hill, or anything like that. When it goes in a pocket, it's usually in my t-shirt. It never shares a pocket with keys or change or such.
mine is doing the same exact thing, with no drops, the finish will just scratch off. co-worker said it might be from sweaty hands if you hold it alot like I do, but not sure exactly

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mine is doing the same exact thing, with no drops, the finish will just scratch off. co-worker said it might be from sweaty hands if you hold it alot like I do, but not sure exactly

Could be, my istick did that and I held it a lot. My alien's in a silicone sleeve, unlike Mebejedi's my sleeve doesn't have a battery access hole in the bottom. Only has vent openings and the opening for the screen and usb/charge port. Not a big deal though, it slides right out of the sleeve. Especially after using it a bit, the sleeve's loosened up a little but still fits decent. It was like $1, didn't expect much.

Mod paint wouldn't be the first thing that I've killed by touching with my bare hands. Maybe it's some sort of mutant acid sweat, idk lol. My keyboards, the letters are always half worn off. The light texture to the keys has been worn off, the spacebar is worn slick where my thumb hits it and there's actually a 'dent' in the plastic. The chrome accent strip on my mouse is all but gone. Guess I'm just rough on things, despite washing my hands after eating and especially after handling chemicals like oil, tranny fluid, brake cleaner, gas, diesel or any other number of things known to eat paint.

315jessie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another thing that can be used to paint them is testors model pain and the just brush a clear coat on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Could be, my istick did that and I held it a lot. My alien's in a silicone sleeve, unlike Mebejedi's my sleeve doesn't have a battery access hole in the bottom.

It doesn't work well....not quite enough room. Luckily, like yours, the mod comes out pretty easily...but not so easily that I worry about it slipping off.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dropped my new alien twice on concrete and it still works! Didn't chip the paint either... Guess I got lucky LOL
34ffc0ff02bac9cae1e817a943a3e0b6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Nice. Mine just celebrated their 1st birthday, and are still going strong.

VU Sponsors