Become a Patron!

Smok alien problems

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just tried scratching it LIGHTLY with my fingernail, in an area with no damage. The paint comes right off.

Did you have it anywhere near the freezer prior to the incident in question?
It sounds a lot like the Magic Shell ice cream topping. It appears hard and solid on the outside, but it's empty on the inside as the ice cream melts.
You drop that on the floor, even once, same exact thing happens.
Those sneaky counterfeiters over there are getting ingenious!
Coating pops and flakes off.........
Evidence melts!
Diabolical I tell ya!

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just tried scratching it LIGHTLY with my fingernail, in an area with no damage. The paint comes right off.
What a piece of shit, but for the price, they still vape I hear......:)

Anybody who has the alien had any problems with the paint chipping on the mod. It hasn't been dropped and been in my pocket the whole time. It's only been two weeks and its chipped worse than any mod I've used for three years ugh.
I've had mine and very careful with it. Even still have the plastic cover for screen. It's been just over two weeks and the thing is flaking off everywhere. In my hands and anywhere I set it. I've verified the serial number and it's authentic. Purchased at iSmoke Vapor in Dallas Texas area. Great store and it was factory sealed. I'm going to RMA it back to SMOK as something is clearly messed up. Here are a couple of pics

Attachments

• IMG_6487.JPG
    IMG_6487.JPG
    957.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6488.JPG
    IMG_6488.JPG
    945 KB · Views: 57

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've had mine and very careful with it. Even still have the plastic cover for screen. It's been just over two weeks and the thing is flaking off everywhere. In my hands and anywhere I set it. I've verified the serial number and it's authentic. Purchased at iSmoke Vapor in Dallas Texas area. Great store and it was factory sealed. I'm going to RMA it back to SMOK as something is clearly messed up. Here are a couple of pics
Holy crap that's bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I thought mine was bad. Wow. I feel ya pain. Was starting to think it was just me. My black Kanger Nano did the same thing last year. I ended up just peeling it all off. The Alien is my only mod, so sending it back isn't an option for me. I hope you get hooked up with better paint. I've got a silicone sleeve on the way.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I thought mine was bad. Wow. I feel ya pain. Was starting to think it was just me. My black Kanger Nano did the same thing last year. I ended up just peeling it all off. The Alien is my only mod, so sending it back isn't an option for me. I hope you get hooked up with better paint. I've got a silicone sleeve on the way.
Mine still looks great. Bottom is chipping a little from abuse but that's about it
28ec58f0bb8159064f054c0dfc329ce1.jpg
cfb463b097e3112f0e02bb9437bd0241.jpg
ae9358b0eb915e590f8e8324aa59ed99.jpg

5500 puffs on it

yes had a red and black one for a week now and chipping really badly - especially on the trigger - worn off the up/down buttons and all the edges. chips look very similar to the pictures of the black/silver one on the previous page. Only been in my pocket and never been dropped.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I ended up just scratching the rest of it off with my thumbnail, and putting a silcone sleeve on it. Efun actually sent me a new complete kit, after I mentioned the crappy paint in my review on their site. Both are Black/Gunmetal, but the new one had more of a satin finish to it, as the original was quite glossy. The new one went straight into a sleeve. Kind of a shame to cover them, since they are so damn purrrrty :(

I take the sleeve off once a week or so to admire it, lol.

The Silver/Silver still looks brand new, btw. Much better paint.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I ended up just scratching the rest of it off with my thumbnail, and putting a silcone sleeve on it. Efun actually sent me a new complete kit, after I mentioned the crappy paint in my review on their site. Both are Black/Gunmetal, but the new one had more of a satin finish to it, as the original was quite glossy. The new one went straight into a sleeve. Kind of a shame to cover them, since they are so damn purrrrty :(

I take the sleeve off once a week or so to admire it, lol.

The Silver/Silver still looks brand new, btw. Much better paint.
my 2 still look new with no peeling

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I dropped mine while watching Mod Envy... only got a little scratch up top and the bottom is a little tiny but scratched.. so far so good though! :shades:

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine has chipped badly. I am very disappointed in the finish. I am in the middle of a long letter to them explaining my dissatisfaction. Either way, I'm gonna sand it down, prime it and two tone it with two types of color shifting paint.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mine has chipped badly. I am very disappointed in the finish. I am in the middle of a long letter to them explaining my dissatisfaction. Either way, I'm gonna sand it down, prime it and two tone it with two types of color shifting paint.
Remember to post pics when you're done. :)

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As soon as my wallet recovers from Christmas and buying vg, nic, flavors, syringes, 1000' of ss and various other things, I'm going to pick up the paint. I will make sure to take before, during and ,after pics and post them up

tljenson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine is black and gold. Maybe I was just the unlucky one!
Same here got the Gold and Black and it chipped crazy. I could actually scratch off the paint with my fingernail. I wonder if it just the black and gold?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Same here got the Gold and Black and it chipped crazy. I could actually scratch off the paint with my fingernail. I wonder if it just the black and gold?
my black and gold looks new still

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first black and gunmetal was a peeler. The second one's paint was more satin, less glossy, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

tljenson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anybody know where to buy a black and green version?

tljenson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first black and gunmetal was a peeler. The second one's paint was more satin, less glossy, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.
When did you buy it? I'm wondering if it was only the first batch that had the problem.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got it in early Nov. Second one came about 3 weeks later. I figure they are from different factories or something. Who knows how/where these things are made. Lol

tljenson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it in early Nov. Second one came about 3 weeks later. I figure they are from different factories or something. Who knows how/where these things are made. Lol
Where did you buy your's from? Maybe the place I got mine was just getting bad shipments.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Online from efun.top. They sent me another and it hasn't chipped or peeled.

dropstep

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well atleast it isnt just me, my gunmetal alien is peeling from were my thumb hits the trigger and anywere my wedding ring touches it. in 6 weeks it looks worse then the cuboid i carried for 3 months. Good news is it works like a champ still!

That's exactly what mine looks like. Same Champagne and Black got it from Elementvape.com

I've had my red and black one for about a month and the paint started coming off after about 3 weeks. It stays at home and never goes out so very well taken care of.

But of a disappointment as it wasn't cheap and one would expect the finish to last longer than that.

Anybody with the same problem tried claiming it under warranty?

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmm, it seems very weird that some folks have pain issues and some don't. I'm super klutzy and thankfully I've on;y dropped my mod twice in almost 2 months. The first drop did nick the paint a bit but other than that have had no paint issues except the bottom which gets messed up on any mod. Its really weird. :crazy: Maybe they have someone mixing the paint wrong? Like on one shift the mod gets painted right and on another shift some idjit doesn't know wth they are doing. :huh:

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't have the paint issues with my Alien but my screen is glitching real bad. It will go to a complete white screen and you can't tell what all your info is telling me. bought on a black friday sale and after delays because the color i ordered i got the mod about mid December. I sent it to madvapes this week because that is who does Smok warranty work in the U.S.

CityofEvil

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just pre ordered a black GX350, hope they have addressed the paint with their new mods coming out....

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
ab8b83ca5c.jpg

i put a skin on mine. Right now (knock on wood) all i have is scratching where the tank contacts the mod. Hopefully my paint lasts.
If my paint ever chips I'm gonna get either a black chrome or gold chrome skin for it

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm thinking if mine starts to chip I'm gonna get a skulls wrap for it.... it'll look badass.... or maybe a neon green alien because duh LOL :giggle::devil:

jPhilly215

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my buddy and I ordered our together . His chipped like crazy mine just wore fast ......

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's frustrating with the paint. I don't get it, the wave of the future. People want flying cars yet here we are rapidly approaching 2020 and still can't figure out how to paint shit. Any of the old sony walkman or huffy bike factories still operational? Maybe we can fire up a delorean, head back to 1980 when we had painting 101 mastered. lmao.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The vinyl wrap in sheets is a lot less, picked up a good sized sheet to add carbon fiber accents to my pc case. It's not all nice and trimmed to the various lines of the mod though and would have to try and cut out all the vent hole areas, the separate firing button etc.

Been looking to get an alien but looks like they're having paint issues as bad as my istick that has less than 50% paint left. Not sure I'll get a wrap for it right off, might see about a silicone sleeve. Hopefully it will fit decent and not be all stretched/sloppy like some can be. I already know silicone can get a bit grungy after awhile but it's like $1 vs $11. Plus no more picking up an ice cold mod.

It's not just smok or istick though, several mods I've seen with cheap paint. Other things too if you count a wider range of consumer products, metallic accents on pc mice, cars, you name it. Cheap shit peels, rubs off, flakes. I'd expect it more on a $5 ego battery or some shiny trinket cigalike in a gas station, not on $50-60+ mods.

You definitely got the matchy matchy down though lol.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The vinyl wrap in sheets is a lot less, picked up a good sized sheet to add carbon fiber accents to my pc case. It's not all nice and trimmed to the various lines of the mod though and would have to try and cut out all the vent hole areas, the separate firing button etc.

Been looking to get an alien but looks like they're having paint issues as bad as my istick that has less than 50% paint left. Not sure I'll get a wrap for it right off, might see about a silicone sleeve. Hopefully it will fit decent and not be all stretched/sloppy like some can be. I already know silicone can get a bit grungy after awhile but it's like $1 vs $11. Plus no more picking up an ice cold mod.

It's not just smok or istick though, several mods I've seen with cheap paint. Other things too if you count a wider range of consumer products, metallic accents on pc mice, cars, you name it. Cheap shit peels, rubs off, flakes. I'd expect it more on a $5 ego battery or some shiny trinket cigalike in a gas station, not on $50-60+ mods.

You definitely got the matchy matchy down though lol.
pain on mods always tends to be an issue overtime. personally I've had good luck though. my alien has 1 minor chip you can't see unless you look and no other mods have paint issues for me outside my old IPV V2 mini 70watt which has paint loss under where the atty goes around the 510

VU Sponsors