Become a Patron!

SMOK Alien 220W TC Coils not working.

I recently bought the SMOK Alien kit and love the device. I used the two coils that came with the device and bought coils online for when they burnt out. Today I put in one of the new coils and I can’t get a hit out of the unit. I have tried adjusting the wattage but it makes no difference. A tiny bit of vapor is coming out. Maybe the coils are not compatible? I screwed in the coil nice and tight. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• B0218DF9-879E-4989-B84B-12933A9D45A3.jpeg
    B0218DF9-879E-4989-B84B-12933A9D45A3.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5633FA15-5F68-44AA-BD28-AAAAABDB8E84.jpeg
    5633FA15-5F68-44AA-BD28-AAAAABDB8E84.jpeg
    845 KB · Views: 7
  • 5643EBB2-65A4-4CC1-927F-718C96EAA053.jpeg
    5643EBB2-65A4-4CC1-927F-718C96EAA053.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 57C3D5BE-BF77-4995-93DC-0E6F045502BA.jpeg
    57C3D5BE-BF77-4995-93DC-0E6F045502BA.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 7

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was not aware that those were TC coils?
Do they say they have SS or NI200 wire in them?
If not they are not TC coils.
Not sure that Smok even makes any TC coils for their Beast tanks.

I was not aware that those were TC coils?
Do they say they have SS or NI200 wire in them?
If not they are not TC coils.
Not sure that Smok even makes any TC coils for their Beast tanks.
Thanks for your reply. I am pretty new to vaping so don’t know a lot about it. I am traveling at the moment so I can’t check the coils. I think my best bet would be to buy a pack of the coils that came with the kit. Thanks for your help.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have no idea why he is talking about TC:crazy: as I do not see any mention of it in your post. I would check if they are authentic first. What wattage are you firing the Q2 coils at?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smok coils the wire is kanthal. On the package when it says stainless steel its talking about the coil head not the wire
That is what I thought.
Did not know that Smok made any TC coils at all for the 'beast' tanks.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no idea why he is talking about TC:crazy: as I do not see any mention of it in your post. I would check if they are authentic first. What wattage are you firing the Q2 coils at?
Its in the title heading "SMOK Alien 220W TC Coils not working."

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did not see anything on those coils or boxes saying that they would work with TC. Did I miss something?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope but they should work in TC mode just wouldn't throttle back to control temp
Nope.
If the TC firmware does not see the resistance change it expects from either SS or NI200 coil it pretty much shuts down. Or runs wide open burning the wicking.

Either way just use Wattage mode and be satisfied.

or get a tank that has coils that will support TC.

From what I hear Smok's TC is not all that good anyway.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Its in the title heading "SMOK Alien 220W TC Coils not working."

That is the description of the MOD not the coils.

Product info:

The SMOK Alien 220W TC Starter Kit is a truly advanced vape kits, integrating a unique statement piece with ultra-performance chipset with 220W of maximum power and full temperature regulation alongside the widely popular TFV8 Baby Beast Tank.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope.
If the TC firmware does not see the resistance change it expects from either SS or NI200 coil it pretty much shuts down. Or runs wide open burning the wicking.

Either way just use Wattage mode and be satisfied.

or get a tank that has coils that will support TC.

From what I hear Smok's TC is not all that good anyway.
Smok Alien will just fire at the wattage TC is set for if using kanthal. The user will think they're using TC but they're really not. A good mod would kick you out

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Smok coils. Atomizer I used was X-baby but that shouldn't matter.

Sure it matters if you are using the MIG Welder Wire you posted about I can see it causing some strange results and possibly some unpleasant reactions.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple things come to mind. Like others mentioned, I don't believe smok makes any ss316 or ni200 coils (temp control compatible). Resistance wire like kanthal and nichrome (ni80) should be used in wattage mode. The other thing that comes to mind, forget tc with the alien. Smok's temp control is garbage. A lot of people randomly hate smok, I'm not one of them. I used my alien for about a year, a little over 100k puffs. The paint sucked but I liked the screen, the form factor, the battery door, the fire bar. It's fine as a wattage mod.

Temp control shouldn't even be in their description. I tried it repeatedly with different coil builds, simple round wire, spaced coils, contact coils, fused claptons on a variety of rta's and rda's - not the smok subohm tanks. Using ss316L which should work well in temp control, smok's tc had two settings. 0 power and full blast. The vape would become hotter and hotter and then suddenly die off like the batteries died. Then suddenly it would ramp up way hotter than what I had it set for.

Put those same atomizers with the same coil builds in them on the vaporesso revenger in temp control, nice and smooth. Even my older istick tc100w did a much better job at regulating temp control with only a little pulsing of power. Honestly, just ignore the whole temp control thing on the alien mod. It doesn't work even when set properly and it may as well say the mod also has antilock brakes and power windows since they don't exist either.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure it matters if you are using the MIG Welder Wire you posted about I can see it causing some strange results and possibly some unpleasant reactions.
I just said the guy could use mig wire instead of looking for wire around the house I don't use it. I use vandy vape SS316L flat clapton it not expensive

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just said the guy could use mig wire instead of looking for wire around the house I don't use it. I use vandy vape SS316L flat clapton it not expensive

Just suggesting using it is WRONG since it contains metals and silica which are NOT Recommended for VAPING

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't believe smok makes any ss316 or ni200 coils (temp control compatible).
Not since the TFV4/mini. They made SS on Ni coils for it.
Smok's temp control is garbage.
I'm not a big temp control user. I admit I tinker with my stuff to just check it out. I agree with you the Aliens TC mode is garbage. I won an X-Priv in a contest a few months ago. I was surprised that the TC mode worked. I only tried it for a day but it was on par with how my Battlestar does TC.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
My hohmwrecker g2 can use them in temperature mode ;) but your alien or any other smok device can not. Wattage mode that's it.

VU Sponsors