Become a Patron!

SMOK AL85, when to change coils?

RubenAlonzo

Member For 4 Years
Greetings Everyone, as the owner of a new SMOK AL85 "Baby Alien", how do I know when it is time to change to a new coil? My kit came with two of them and my concern is because I am new, I don't know how long they last or how do I start to know when it is getting time to switch it out for a new one? Thank you in advance.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it starts tasting burnt. Time to change it. I also find with Smok coils that they will spit constantly when they need to be changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If it starts tasting burnt. Time to change it. I also find with Smok coils that they will spit constantly when they need to be changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
+1 adding to that, depending on your wattage and your vaping habits, they could last 3 or 4 days they could last a month. But when it's time to change them you'll know for sure.

If you change flavors you might want to change your coils depending on flavor clashes, but a sound alternative I've found is soaking them in a coffee pot for a few hours then letting them dry over night. Hot water can help minimize ghost flavors though.

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Greetings Everyone, as the owner of a new SMOK AL85 "Baby Alien", how do I know when it is time to change to a new coil? My kit came with two of them and my concern is because I am new, I don't know how long they last or how do I start to know when it is getting time to switch it out for a new one? Thank you in advance.
You'll know by the flavor or the vapor or both. Either it will start to taste burnt, or bad (not necessarily burnt) or the vapor levels will drop off and it will seem much weaker than it was.

Before I switched to exclusively building my own coils, I found that soaking my used coils in PGA (Pure Grain Alcohol aka Everclear) overnight in a shot glass, rinsing them and then letting them air dry, could usually get another, albeit shorter, use out of them. Some folks have said cheap vodka works well too, but I have never tried it. The most important thing to remember though is NEVER use isopropyl alcohol, it is for topical use only.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
+1 adding to that, depending on your wattage and your vaping habits, they could last 3 or 4 days they could last a month. But when it's time to change them you'll know for sure.

If you change flavors you might want to change your coils depending on flavor clashes, but a sound alternative I've found is soaking them in a coffee pot for a few hours then letting them dry over night. Hot water can help minimize ghost flavors though.

"Some people call me a redneck, and some people call me a hick, some people call me an asshole, and some people call me just dick. I'm a hellbilly."

HellbillyRJ
You know, if you were a true hellbilly... you would soak them in an empty bean can.. lol.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
For spitting.. turning your wattage up by a watt or 3 might help. Not to much, don't want to cook the coil. Once you pull new juice into the coil, the spitting may stop, usually it is air bubbles in the wick.

VU Sponsors