KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

Smoant have followed up from their successful Cylon releasing the new Ranker. It shares the same chip, same screen, similar internals but in a different form factor.

Well you know what they say about big hands? Or perhaps this mod is just making up for something else! Either way you look at it, the Smoant Ranker is a “biggun” and you’re going to need those meathooks to handle it.

I was kindly sent the product through from healthcabin for the once over. I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews instead I’ll share my findings should you be interested in the product.

Manufacturer Specs
  • Ant218 V2 chipset
  • 1.3-inch TFT colour display
  • Firmware upgradeable
  • Reverse protection
  • Battery Type: 2 x 18650
  • Output Range: 1-218W
  • Output Modes: VW/VW Curves/ Temp(Ni, Ti, SS)/TCR/TC Curves
  • Resistance Range: 0.05 – 2.0 Ohm for Temp/TCR mode/TC Curves, 0.1-5.0 Ohm for VW / VW Curves
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F(100C-300C)
  • Material: Zinc alloy & leather
  • Weight: 229g (321g with two 18650’s)
  • Dimension: 60mm x 31.5mm x 92mm
  • Chip Efficiency: 95%
What’s in the box?
  • 1 x Ranker TC 218
  • 1 x Charging Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
  • 1 x Warranty Card

Available Colours: Black, Camo, Tarnish
Available to buy from: https://www.healthcabin.net/smoant/

Healthcabin are also doing a giveaway on this mod which is open until March 5th 2018 (you can find details here)
http://vape.healthcabin.net/smoant-ranker-mod-giveaway/

Impressions, Build Quality

624137FF-533A-46E8-A944-A4C9BCEEE1CD.jpeg

Starting with the form itself as I said in my intro it’s big! for the past few months I’ve been using smaller dual 18650 mods such as the DPro133, Joytech Espion, Augvape V200, so I’ve had to re-adjust to its Hulk bulk (the ranker says to the midget on the left "GET IN MA BELLY")

C4B434B5-0AA8-4531-AFFA-EA9D4585F6DB.jpeg 4A2A9BD1-C8DF-422D-AEA0-FE8B003BF751.jpeg

There are some design decisions I find strange such as the 25mm 510 plate being raised. If you run any atomiser larger than this it will look silly, however keeping in mind the majority of atomisers released these days are up to or around 25mm it’s not so bad, just be prepared for it to look somewhat small on the mod.

The screen cover makes the TFT screen look darker than it really is. Compared with pictures I’ve seen of the Cylon using the exact same screen it doesn’t appear as bright or Vibrant even at max settings which is a shame.

D865F0D1-F0E5-4852-ADA1-CDB2E7D307B1.jpeg

Ergonomically it’s comfortable but you know it’s there, it feels like I’m carrying around a C4 detonator from Call of Duty. Despite readjusting and finding it comfortable I do feel Its overall size and width are unnecessarily large and doesn’t make the Ranker pocket friendly especially considering it weights 321g loaded with two batteries.

If you are dead set on pressing the fire button with your fingers the mod suits left handed vapers only. For right handed vapers if you want the screen facing outwards you’ll be using the fleshy bit between your thumb and index finger to engage the fire button. To be honest both ways work fine I found it comfortable to hold either way so won’t be going down as a con.

The last bit is the 510 assembly inside. The plate itself is screwed to the top of the mod so that won’t be coming out easily, however rather than a sealed unit the positive pin is floating inside, this bothers me when it comes to leaking atomisers. The soldering works looks decent enough. I did register a resistance reading variance of +0.02ohm compared with my DNA mod.

5870DC90-FF6D-4B41-BAD8-8542424B8681.jpeg BEBCB8FE-37C3-4675-A776-98916DB1479A.jpeg 776BF5C9-C241-4E9C-9F2F-779A9788491A.jpeg

With those things out of the way though the Ranker is well made, the 510 pin has plenty of travel for longer threads. The plate threading is well machined.

74E67383-B652-42E2-92F7-5DF206F9DE88.jpeg

There is no rattling on the mod. I found the fire bar to have a little bit of sideward play which could have been kept in check a little better but it’s not overly concerning. All button have a decent tactile feel to them.

422D6122-5AC6-4467-9F5D-2BBBAE90CC19.jpeg

The Leather cover was applied well, I can’t feel any rough edges and it hasn’t started to lift anywhere.

Paintwork is excellent I haven’t experienced any chipping or fading. The mod is a Zinc alloy construction, even out of the box it weighed a hefty 229g (this is Vaptio N1 Pro small family car territory!)

The battery door is a slide and lock mechanism with an audible click when you close it. It doesn’t accidently open too easily and sits flush when closed. There’s a bit of wobble in the hinge when opened but doesn’t interfere with anything working well. I would like to have seen clearer battery orientation markings but since I tested reverse polarity works ok in every configuration I have no real issues here.

B1EEF0C4-4682-4CC3-A1CB-37EF2382432E.jpeg

There is no obvious venting on the Ranker, however the battery tray is plastic inside which does give you a level of safety margin. Of all the mods I’ve used I have never had cause for concern with overheating using the Ranker, even whilst charging it stays cool and might be why they decided not to cram everything in tight?

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Modes and Usage

The manual isn’t too bad at all as an experienced vaper. If you are new to the whole thing you might find the information to be a little overwhelming, but it’s better to have too much rather than too little in my opinion. I really like that Smoant have gone the extra mile and provided best settings across Temperature Control in the booklet.

I don’t really feel I need to pull out much about usage because the mod menu is so intuitive to use, certainly one of the better menu systems out there, just remember to press +/- to lock the resistance of your atomiser at room temp before you try to use temp control.

Also it’s worthwhile changing the screensaver to 10 seconds to help a little with battery life. Something I always try and set a low as possible so I can squeeze a tiny bit more from vaping through the day.

Power Mode

You have 4 options to choose Min, Nom, Max & VW Curve. I found for the most part I was sticking to the “Max” setting because I just found the Norm and Min settings a bit gutless to get me to my target setting quickly. In fact I’d say the max setting on the Ranker is acting much like normal on other mods I’ve used. Overall using this setting I felt the board was accurate through the wattage ranges and it fires quickly and punchy enough.

One of the disappointing areas seemed to be the mod becomes noticeably less responsive when the batteries are at half, combine this with the 3.3V cut off I recorded and I ended up changing batteries fairly frequently even using wattages of up to 50W.

The VW Curve is easy to use, just set your desired wattage at 1 second intervals to create yourself a profile as you vape which is useful for longer draws outside of temperature control. I believe this mode is not using “Max” so when I used it I set the initial wattage at least 10W above where I wanted to vape before bumping it down on the next second.

You will have to cycle through .1 increments of wattage selection outside of the curve mode up to 100watts. I feel up to 20 watts this is necessary for the MTL vapers, between 21-80 half watt increments are acceptable but beyond that it should just be whole watts as it takes more time to cycle through the settings. Many manufacturers set their devices up like this and Smoant is no exception.

Temp Control (TC)

There are three standard settings in temp control “Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel”

Choosing any of these is normally the easier “hassle free” approach assuming you match the coil metal to the correct mode, however on the ranker the standard setting seems to punch above my settings. I found I had to turn my temp down by a fair wack in order to keep using the default SS setting and even then I was detecting dry cotton far too often for my liking.

I promptly switched over to TCR which is the manual work around. To quickly explain TCR is a straight line plotting the average resistance a metal increases its resistance for every degree heated. Once the mod detects resistance has changed by X amount from the starting resistance and set temperature it stops heating and maintains temperature, that’s the theory and some manufacturers are far better than others at implementing this mode.

For stainless steel (which is what I always use) depending on where you source information the TCR value is anywhere from 0.00088 – 0.00098 so I always start in this region to hone in on the best setting and work through until it’s settled. I also tend to stick to spaced Fused Claptons or similar as most mods pick these up just fine. Smoant have declared the SS range to be much wider (0.00060 – 0.00150) and is probably the reason the standard setting it out, although whatever value they set the TCR to in the background it could easily be rectified in a future firmware update.

Three things to note: in the manual TCR and TC Curve modes the following can be changed on screen without having to access the menu:

1. The TCR can be changed at any time by pressing Fire Button and Up (+)

2. Always lock you resistance in at room temp (+/-) button together

3. You can adjust on screen pre heat wattage by pressing Fire Button and Down (-)

One of the features I love about TCR on the ranker is it tells you as you cycle through what sort of metal the range the TCR is for. No mod I’ve ever used has this and for any new vaper is a brilliant little touch, kudos to Smoant on this!

Smoant kindly added in the booklet for best results in TC use a 0.5 ohm coil, so that’s what I aimed for! I rebuilt my OBS Nano using a 4mm ID coil 5 ½ wraps using 25g flat wire with a 38g Clapton wrap (all SS316L) it came to 0.55 ohms. Bearing in mind I recorded the initial resistance of the mod was out earlier in my review by +0.02 ohms, I raised the TCR value to 0.00094 and it seems to be spot on at 450.F and a 55W pre heat for my liking.

Using this same information I went on to use the Custom Temp Curve which you treat can much like a Power Curve except you are changing the temperature every second instead. I personally find this mode to be a little gimmicky because the point of TC is to maintain a target temperature and you can use a Pre-heat to get you there. I suppose if you like taking long super human 10 second puffs its worth playing with in order to reduce your detection of dry cotton, but since I don’t vape for longer than 5 seconds at a time I didn’t really bother using it much.

Charging and Batteries

I found both discharging and charging to be accurate on the Ranker.

I recorded a balanced cut off at 3.3V with a 0.01V variance between cells

I recorded on board charging cut off at exactly 4.16V on both cells, with a charge time taking 2 hours 30 minutes using Samsung 30Q 3000mAh. The mod didn’t get remotely warm, even the USB port stays pretty cool. I’m very impressed with the way this mod handles charge and discharge in a balanced manner, I just wish Smoant would sort out their low cut off points.

Pros

• Accurate Power mode using the “Max” setting
  • Fantastic Manual Temp control modes
  • Plenty of modes to choose from including basic curves
  • Very intuitive menu system
  • Solid construction
  • Great threading on the 510 plate
  • Helpful Manual
  • Lovely screen size and picture quality
  • Can access quick settings in main screen without having to dive down
  • Great tactile buttons – Fire bar is easy to engage
  • Excellent on-board charging
  • No rattles
Cons

• A little on the large side
  • Limited to 25mm atomisers without overhang on a mod this size
  • The 510 assembly is not sealed – leaky tanks could be an issue
  • Wobbly hinge on the battery door and lacking orientation markings
  • No obvious venting
  • Screen cover is a little too dark
  • Min and Norm modes lack the power id expect (could be fixed in future firmware update)
  • Standard temp control is a little off (could be fixed in future firmware update)
Final Conclusion

Smoant have a proven track record of delivering mods with decent menu’s and features and the Ranker is no different, it’s a great all-rounder. I’m especially impressed with how Smoant have dealt with manual temp control on the Ant218 V2 chip. I can tell just by looking at their manual how much importance they place on getting this bit right and it shows when you follow their instructions.

I’m not overly crazy on its size, but this is a personal preference thing rather than something I feel should be avoided. If the mod was smaller the raised 510 wouldn’t have been an issue for me in the least but it’s a con because of the mods size. Other than some other niggly areas I would like to seen a sealed 510 assembly and extended battery life with a boost to mid battery level performance.

78A4C387-F6A8-42CB-9F43-0F2E75159D6C.jpeg
966B37F9-756E-4801-AC7C-B658B1CD71CA.jpeg

381D23EF-45CC-444E-92FD-53BB1BE44163.jpeg

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you find the information useful, until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As usual great review.

The ranker reminds me of a blend between the Smok alien and the vaporesso nebula. Maybe it's just me. o_O

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks mate :cheers: yeah I can see similarities between these two as well although this is boxy all round....when I was first using this I had gone from the Vaptio Wallcrawler (little single battery jobby really comfy) and it kind of reminded me of it but on steroids

It took me the first week to adjust to its size, instead of using a couple of fingers you can grasp the whole thing pretty much it’s not too bad really but certainly no good for smaller hands

Must say it’s made a great pairing with the engine nano using TC it sits absolutely flush and doesn’t look too small for the mod

2DA7DA8E-34FF-45C0-AAB7-AF0B15C22EBF.jpeg

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's a slick setup right there! The size and color of the nano sitting on top of the ranker makes a perfect " matchy matchy ".

Any notable differences between the new v2 chip and the first 218? The first wasn't all that with TC but after I installed the firmware upgrade there was a vast improvement and worked pretty well.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That's a slick setup right there! The size and color of the nano sitting on top of the ranker makes a perfect " matchy matchy ".

Any notable differences between the new v2 chip and the first 218? The first wasn't all that with TC but after I installed the firmware upgrade there was a vast improvement and worked pretty well.

Unfortunately mate I don’t own any of thier prior mods to compare. I do know using 0.00094 works well with that 4mm 316L coil I wacked in the nano though ...I’ve actually resigned to using this in manual TC most of the time because the standard settings werent all that

I believe they upped the response time of the chip for faster firing and tweaked low cut of

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately mate I don’t own any of thier prior mods to compare. I do know using 0.00094 works well with that 4mm 316L coil I wacked in the nano though ...I’ve actually resigned to using this in manual TC most of the time because the standard settings werent all that

I believe they upped the response time of the chip for faster firing and tweaked low cut of
Good to know. In all honesty it doesn't sound like the v2 is too much of an improvement but that's fine considering the first chip was pretty good with the firmware upgrade. The firing time improved as well. I kind of wonder if the v2 is the v1 with firmware upgrades.

If there wasn't such a big body of water between us I would happily donate ( for a limited time :p ) my Charon for a side by side comparison.

This is off topic from the ranker but have you tried the 218 touch screen?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hehe thanks mate :cheers:

This is the first Smoant device I’ve used full stop ...I’m not a massive fan of touch screens ordinarily (on vape mods anyway) prefer the feel and feedback from buttons although I read it was pretty responsive... Have you used it then?

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't used it either but I do have some interest. I like the ease of changing settings on a touch screen without having to remember each pattern of button mashing that happens when switching between different devices. It's probably because I'm middle aged and becoming lazy ... I mean more tech savvy.:D

Sorry for the deviation folks. We now return you to the ranker... a beautiful love child created when an alien put his schtick into a nebula and had a cosmic vapegasm. Behold, the Ranker! ( with its floppy battery door )

VU Sponsors