Become a Patron!

Smoant Charon Review By DeucesJack

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Full disclosure:

Let’s get all the disclosures out of the way. This mod was sent to me directly from Smoant specifically for the purposes of this review. This will not in any way, shape, or form cause me to give this mod a favorable review or change my opinion in any way.
25fb13a45da111cb91065ca2804442a3.jpg

First Impression Out Of The Box:

Oh boy, I've been waiting on this one. This is a beauty. The finish on this mod is just gorgeous. It’s like a shiny brushed aluminum look. Nice looking form factor with beautiful buttons that match the mod. If this thing vapes half as good as it looks than we are in for a real treat.

What's In The Box:

Not much to see here. Basically the mod, USB cable, and an instruction manual. Just as well let's move on to the mod.

From Top To Bottom:

Really nice 510 on this mod. The threading is buttery smooth and the platform actually has a really nice design on it. The pin itself is firm yet springy and all of my atomizers sit flush on it. Anything 25mm and under will look great on the Charon.
2494bc6d6d213d1865ef484bd78213eb.jpg

The side of the mod has a battery cover that is similar to a Lost Vape Therion. To be honest the whole mod has a similar look to the Lost Vape Therion. Covered with a leather sticker the door slides onto the mod to cover your batteries. It’s a really well done solid door secured with strong magnets, with no wiggle at all. The door itself even has some venting on the top and bottom of the cover. The door sticker seems to be leather and it looks fantastic and feels great in the hand. The trim on the battery door is a brushed stainless steel.
f93e24c71ebb430551865e50107d6adf.jpg

The battery tray is clearly marked for battery orientation. The battery contacts look to be either brass or gold plated. The top contacts stay stationary and the bottom mounted contacts are spring loaded. They have a nice firm spring to them and do a good job of keeping the batteries firmly in place. There is also a battery ribbon present to make taking out your batteries easier.

The body of the mod has plenty of venting along the sides of the mod. The venting cutouts are rectangular in shape and have some screening behind them. There are 4 of these vents on each side. The fire button is absolutely fantastic. It has just the right feel and its clicky and responsive. The +/- buttons are shaped like a parallelogram and have the same exact feel as the fire button. Below the +/- buttons is the update/charge port.

The screen is just beautiful and while it seems to be the same screen as the Battlestar my Charon screen is much brighter. It has all of the same info and font as the Battlestar just significantly brighter. All of the pertinent information is available to the user such as mode, battery life, wattage, temperature, and resistance. The only branding on this mod is on the the bottom where it says Smoant.
70474c7a00049c1ce2393d61603f4e4e.jpg

The Look, Feel, and General Aesthetics Of The Mod:

This is one sexy looking mod. It has the same look and feel as the Therion, Finder, or VT 133/167. The only difference being is you don't have to break the bank paying for a DNA. While the battery door does feel like a leather sticker it does not smell like leather, either way it's a nice touch. Smoant says that it is leather. I believe other door stickers will be available in the future should you want to change the look of your mod. Overall this is a solid, high quality, well built, mod and it's definitely what I have come to expect from Smoant. It feels great in your hand and does not feel cheap at all. Smoant outdid themselves on this one and made one classy, elegant, looking mod.

The Board:

The board used in the Charon is the Ant 218, it’s designed by Smoant and is upgradeable. Smoant took special care to make sure this chipset fires your tank with almost no delay and they succeeded. Just like the Battlestar the Charon has a full temperature control suite and just like the Battlestar the Charon does an awesome job with TC. This mod will vape just like the Battlestar but in a different form factor.

The Menu System:

This menu system is as simple as it gets.

5 clicks on/off
3 clicks to get into the main menu
Use the +/- button to scroll through the main menu
Use the fire button to select in the main menu
+/ button at the same time flips the screen
In TC mode hold the + button and fire button to adjust your wattage

But Deuces, How Does She Vape:

Great vape on a great mod. I can’t tell you enough how impressed I am by this chipset. If it had a few more tweaks or some software or an app I would put it right up there with an FSK, Yihi, or DNA board. It vapes that well in TC. I’m running the Smoant RTA on it right now with dual SS Aliens ohming out at .14 at 90 watts and 500 degrees. Between this tank and this mod I am in vape heaven. Great flavorful clouds and the Charon looks really good in my hand as I vape. What more can a vaper ask for?

Conclusion:

This is just a glorious mod. If you always wanted a Therion, Finder, or VT 133/167 and just didn't want to shell out the money for a DNA than this mod was made for you. It has a very similar look and at the same time is very affordable but don’t let the price fool you. This is one capable TC mod. The Ant board is very underrated and it won’t be long before vapers start taking notice of this board. Just remember when it happens you heard it from DeucesJack first. This mod is DeucesJack approved.

Pros & Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* Chipset
* Build quality
* Vape quality
* Battery door
* Simple menu system
* Quality 510
* Elegant branding
* Plenty of venting
* Bright screen
* Firmware upgradeable
* Overall look and feel

Cons:

* The shiny parts of the mod can be a fingerprint magnet.

***NOTE***
In case you haven't noticed I really struggled to find any cons for this mod.

Specs:

* Size: 91mm(H)*25 mm(W)*53mm(L)
* Takes 2 X 18650 battery
* Material: Zinc alloy & High quality leather
* VW Mode power range: 1-218W
* Temperature Control Mode support Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel, Ni-chrome and * TCR(Temperature Coefficient of Resistivity)
* TC temperature range: 200-600℉/ 100-300℃
* Support resistance low to 0.1ohm
* Firmware Upgradable
* Magnetic back cover, makes it easy to replace the battery
* Can be charged through usb port
* Weight(Without batteries): 195g
* Low Resistance Protection
* Over-time Protection
* Reverse Polarity Protection
* Overheating Protection
* Color : Copper/ Golden/ Black/ Stainless Steel/ Hell's Angel/ Thor's Hammer/Brazing Skull/ Evil Wolf/ Camo colors Available

*** See more at: http://www.smoant.com/charon-218w-dual-18650-upgradeable-tc-mod/index.html#sthash.O3m4Xx9u.dpuf

Different Sized Tanks On The Smoant Charon:

The Augvape Merlin RDTA:
6b0c7ac7c01e0f0de95376adbabfd911.jpg

The Augvape Druga:
8c754017ecfc729306ebe7537ee3e580.jpg

The Vandyvape Icon:
ac56c79674b781a01a04e925d3c8bee9.jpg

The UD Skywalker:
5dbf8043dd29b0be304b2bec706c6c47.jpg

The BMI Nova:
e96724e349d3142ce32d04c829c9168d.jpg

The Smoant RDTA:
42b46aaa7a0703fc793bbbeb7eb275e4.jpg

The Ijoy RDTA 5:
ee4ed2ed696605c23a9f55f6bb545747.jpg

If you found this review helpful please feel free to give it a like and follow me on this forum. If you are a Vendor and would like a DeucesJack review please feel free to PM me on this forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Full disclosure:

Let’s get all the disclosures out of the way. This mod was sent to me directly from Smoant specifically for the purposes of this review. This will not in any way, shape, or form cause me to give this mod a favorable review or change my opinion in any way.
25fb13a45da111cb91065ca2804442a3.jpg

First Impression Out Of The Box:

Oh boy, I've been waiting on this one. This is a beauty. The finish on this mod is just gorgeous. It’s like a shiny brushed aluminum look. Nice looking form factor with beautiful buttons that match the mod. If this thing vapes half as good as it looks than we are in for a real treat.

What's In The Box:

Not much to see here. Basically the mod, USB cable, and an instruction manual. Just as well let's move on to the mod.

From Top To Bottom:

Really nice 510 on this mod. The threading is buttery smooth and the platform actually has a really nice design on it. The pin itself is firm yet springy and all of my atomizers sit flush on it. Anything 25mm and under will look great on the Charon.
2494bc6d6d213d1865ef484bd78213eb.jpg

The side of the mod has a battery cover that is similar to a Lost Vape Therion. To be honest the whole mod has a similar look to the Lost Vape Therion. Covered with a leather sticker the door slides onto the mod to cover your batteries. It’s a really well done solid door secured with strong magnets, with no wiggle at all. The door itself even has some venting on the top and bottom of the cover. The door sticker seems to be leather and it looks fantastic and feels great in the hand. The trim on the battery door is a brushed stainless steel.
f93e24c71ebb430551865e50107d6adf.jpg

The battery tray is clearly marked for battery orientation. The battery contacts look to be either brass or gold plated. The top contacts stay stationary and the bottom mounted contacts are spring loaded. They have a nice firm spring to them and do a good job of keeping the batteries firmly in place. There is also a battery ribbon present to make taking out your batteries easier.

The body of the mod has plenty of venting along the sides of the mod. The venting cutouts are rectangular in shape and have some screening behind them. There are 4 of these vents on each side. The fire button is absolutely fantastic. It has just the right feel and its clicky and responsive. The +/- buttons are shaped like a parallelogram and have the same exact feel as the fire button. Below the +/- buttons is the update/charge port.

The screen is just beautiful and while it seems to be the same screen as the Battlestar my Charon screen is much brighter. It has all of the same info and font as the Battlestar just significantly brighter. All of the pertinent information is available to the user such as mode, battery life, wattage, temperature, and resistance. The only branding on this mod is on the the bottom where it says Smoant.
70474c7a00049c1ce2393d61603f4e4e.jpg

The Look, Feel, and General Aesthetics Of The Mod:

This is one sexy looking mod. It has the same look and feel as the Therion, Finder, or VT 133/167. The only difference being is you don't have to break the bank paying for a DNA. While the battery door does feel like a leather sticker it does not smell like leather, either way it's a nice touch. Smoant says that it is leather. I believe other door stickers will be available in the future should you want to change the look of your mod. Overall this is a solid, high quality, well built, mod and it's definitely what I have come to expect from Smoant. It feels great in your hand and does not feel cheap at all. Smoant outdid themselves on this one and made one classy, elegant, looking mod.

The Board:

The board used in the Charon is the Ant 218, it’s designed by Smoant and is upgradeable. Smoant took special care to make sure this chipset fires your tank with almost no delay and they succeeded. Just like the Battlestar the Charon has a full temperature control suite and just like the Battlestar the Charon does an awesome job with TC. This mod will vape just like the Battlestar but in a different form factor.

The Menu System:

This menu system is as simple as it gets.

5 clicks on/off
3 clicks to get into the main menu
Use the +/- button to scroll through the main menu
Use the fire button to select in the main menu
+/ button at the same time flips the screen
In TC mode hold the + button and fire button to adjust your wattage

How Does It Vape:

Great vape on a great mod. I can’t tell you enough how impressed I am by this chipset. If it had a few more tweaks or some software or an app I would put it right up there with an FSK, Yihi, or DNA board. It vapes that well in TC. I’m running the Smoant RTA on it right now with dual SS Aliens ohming out at .14 at 90 watts and 500 degrees. Between this tank and this mod I am in vape heaven. Great flavorful clouds and the Charon looks really good in my hand as I vape. What more can a vaper ask for?

Conclusion:

This is just a glorious mod. If you always wanted a Therion, Finder, or VT 133/167 and just didn't want to shell out the money for a DNA than this mod was made for you. It has a very similar look and at the same time is very affordable but don’t let the price fool you. This is one capable TC mod. The Ant board is very underrated and it won’t be long before vapers start taking notice of this board. Just remember when it happens you heard it from DeucesJack first. This mod is DeucesJack approved.

Pros & Cons:

A note about Pros and Cons. These are my Pros and Cons. They are very subjective. What may be a pro to me could be a con to you and vice versa.

Pros:

* Chipset
* Build quality
* Vape quality
* Battery door
* Simple menu system
* Quality 510
* Elegant branding
* Plenty of venting
* Bright screen
* Firmware upgradeable
* Overall look and feel

Cons:

* The shiny parts of the mod can be a fingerprint magnet.

***NOTE***
In case you haven't noticed I really struggled to find any cons for this mod.

Specs:

* Size: 91mm(H)*25 mm(W)*53mm(L)
* Takes 2 X 18650 battery
* Material: Zinc alloy & High quality leather
* VW Mode power range: 1-218W
* Temperature Control Mode support Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel, Ni-chrome and * TCR(Temperature Coefficient of Resistivity)
* TC temperature range: 200-600℉/ 100-300℃
* Support resistance low to 0.1ohm
* Firmware Upgradable
* Magnetic back cover, makes it easy to replace the battery
* Can be charged through usb port
* Weight(Without batteries): 195g
* Low Resistance Protection
* Over-time Protection
* Reverse Polarity Protection
* Overheating Protection
* Color : Copper/ Golden/ Black/ Stainless Steel/ Hell's Angel/ Thor's Hammer/Brazing Skull/ Evil Wolf/ Camo colors Available

*** See more at: http://www.smoant.com/charon-218w-dual-18650-upgradeable-tc-mod/index.html#sthash.O3m4Xx9u.dpuf

Different Sized Tanks On The Smoant Charon:

The Augvape Merlin RDTA:
6b0c7ac7c01e0f0de95376adbabfd911.jpg

The Augvape Druga:
8c754017ecfc729306ebe7537ee3e580.jpg

The Vandyvape Icon:
ac56c79674b781a01a04e925d3c8bee9.jpg

The UD Skywalker:
5dbf8043dd29b0be304b2bec706c6c47.jpg

The BMI Nova:
e96724e349d3142ce32d04c829c9168d.jpg

The Smoant RDTA:
42b46aaa7a0703fc793bbbeb7eb275e4.jpg

The Ijoy RDTA 5:
ee4ed2ed696605c23a9f55f6bb545747.jpg

If you found this review helpful please feel free to give it a like and follow me on this forum. If you are a Vendor and would like a DeucesJack review please feel free to PM me on this forum.

Love love love love it! Did I mention that I love it?

Any idea when we might be able to get a hold of me? Preferably US vendor?

Great review as always, keep up the good work!

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like this mod, but after several weeks it looked like it got dragged behind a car and the leather simply came unglued..... I glued the leather back with epoxy..... But I'm rough with my shit....

Vapes good though and good power.......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys. Yeah it's not for sale yet but it should be soon.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Awesome review. Can you do a side by side pic with a therion? I want a size comparison.

I might have to work backwards and get the Battlestar Galactica. The form factor on the Battlestar is better for me than on the Charon/Therion mods. The Therion never felt good in my hand (I know it's just me).

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome review. Can you do a side by side pic with a therion? I want a size comparison.

I might have to work backwards and get the Battlestar Galactica. The form factor on the Battlestar is better for me than on the Charon/Therion mods. The Therion never felt good in my hand (I know it's just me).
Sure bro, I'll do it when I'm home. Right now I'm out for the night.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been reading about these two mods and I still can't decide , this evening a focused on the form factor, for me I think the Battlestar would suit my hand. People seem to have all good comments about this Company, Thanks to the OP great review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been reading about these two mods and I still can't decide , this evening a focused on the form factor, for me I think the Battlestar would suit my hand. People seem to have all good comments about this Company, Thanks to the OP great review.

Just do what most of us do. Buy them both. Lol.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol This will be Mod three this week, I have not bought a new mod for 2 years I did not even keep track, Truth I have 54 Mods going back 8 years of an interesting collection vapeing has come along way. It has been a Fun Journey... Still is.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I will go with the battle star I have a hard time with the Big older mods. The rectangle is not a good fit for me, I am happy for us Senior Citizens that Mods have Shape and Flair now. LOL Now I have to find the perfect Tank. I choose Copper for the color, I love copper mods.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I will go with the battle star I have a hard time with the Big older mods. The rectangle is not a good fit for me, I am happy for us Senior Citizens that Mods have Shape and Flair now. LOL Now I have to find the perfect Tank. I choose Copper for the color, I love copper mods.

Ok time for a shameless plug. Seriously though, the Battlestar RTA is a pretty great RTA and I believe Smoant sells it as a kit with the mod. Here's my review on the tank.

http://vapingunderground.com/index.php?threads/317260/

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will go check this Tank, Thanks for the link.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The nice thing about that tank is they come in colors that match the mod.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to go and Google this, The Vendors I found today for the tank, I was not looking for tanks they might have this.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for another quality review, Jack. Next to the Battlestar, this is one mod that has piqued my interest the most. I really like the looks of it, and like you said, Therion good looks without the DNA pricetag. Sounds like a real winner to me!

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for another quality review, Jack. Next to the Battlestar, this is one mod that has piqued my interest the most. I really like the looks of it, and like you said, Therion good looks without the DNA pricetag. Sounds like a real winner to me!
Thx Mark.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have a Finder 167 with the same form factor but find myself always grabing the Battlestar, G Class or other mods that are more compact. Skipped buying a Therion with the snakeskin because of this, the form factor just isn't for me as well so your not alone.

Great review though Jack and I bet this mod is a winner just like the Battlestar, love that mod.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

I can do that when I get a charon but it's still not in stock anywhere. Maybe I'll try and contact smoant and see if I can buy like a pre release one

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can do that when I get a charon but it's still not in stock anywhere. Maybe I'll try and contact smoant and see if I can buy like a pre release one

I'll post a pic for him tonight.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Front:
936789cf574530e56677034beb418047.jpg

Side:
fecdd25e17af9dd3bc4f2fad355ce50e.jpg

Back:
0a68422d6807170e52898419e56a6c68.jpg

Top:
cb919295d1ab0e602928fe5ffe350b8f.jpg

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dam that looks awesome

Your fault dude. You've been touting the battlestar from pretty much the beginning.

I've never bought from smokestore.us so we'll see. I was surprised they had so many colors/finishes. Paid for epacket so hopefully it'll be 2 weeks to the OC.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Your fault dude. You've been touting the battlestar from pretty much the beginning.

I've never bought from smokestore.us so we'll see. I was surprised they had so many colors/finishes. Paid for epacket so hopefully it'll be 2 weeks to the OC.
Nice and the price is good too. I'm thinking about grabbing that rainbow one now

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Was just checking out the battlestar on smokstore.us and noticed the battlestar rta at the bottom of the page. Has anyone actually used it?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I happened to win a Sigelei Kaos Spectrum today. I opened it put batteries in it and test fired it then quickly boxed it back up and now racking my brain with ideas on how to use it to get a Charon when it comes out. Lol

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So I happened to win a Sigelei Kaos Spectrum today. I opened it put batteries in it and test fired it then quickly boxed it back up and now racking my brain with ideas on how to use it to get a Charon when it comes out. Lol

lol. you didn't like the kaos? i found it to be a solid mod. you could always sell it and sue the money to fund your charon

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

You popped her cherry and sent her packing! So cruel!

VU Sponsors