Become a Patron!

Smoant Charon Mini 225W TC Box MOD

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Charon Mini 225W TC Box MOD from Smoant. The Charon Mini 225W TC Box MOD was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristy from Smoant.

http://smoant.com/charon-mini-225w-upgra...index.html

Introduction

Smoant go back to the Charon name with their latest box mod. The newest member of the Charon family keeps the same features as their latest devices the "Cylon" and "Ranker" including the same 2 graphical interfaces (the speedometer interface has got animated turning cogs added) and the capability of uploading your own wallpaper. The Mini boasts a larger colour screen than past devices with higher resolution, the upgradeable new Ant225 chip sees the mini having better efficiency than ever and instant firing. The Mini has all the features seen in the past from Smoant and has a top output of 225W while being quite a small ergonomic device.

In the Box

Contents:

1x Smoant Charon Mini MOD
1x Micro USB Cable
1x User Manual
1x Warning Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Charon Mini comes in the normal cardboard box Smoant packaging and once opened you are met by a slightly smaller than average duel 18650 device. The device is box shaped but has cut corners and bevelled edging, the size, bevelled edging and position of the fire button all help to make the device comfortable to hold and fire. I received the Black version (which is a Matte Black), the device is also available in Rainbow, Gold, and Red, all colours look good in my opinion. The front of the device has Smoant branding central top and centrally towards the bottom we have weird shaped navigation buttons followed by a micro USB port (the navigation buttons together look a bit like an old style telephone symbol). The back of the device has a multicoloured interlocking design which i find very aesthetically pleasing and "CHARON MINI" printed in White towards the bottom. One side of the device is featureless, the other has a large rectangular fire button with textured pattern towards the top. The bottom of the device has safety stamps and generous venting, moving to the top we have a central 510 plate with gold plated, spring loaded 510. As i would expect from Smoant the Charon Mini is very well made and the finish seems durable.

Charon Mini Specs and Features:

Mod size: 89mm x 45mm x 29mm
Output Wattage: 1-225W
Voltage: 6.0-8.4V
Output modes: VW/VW Curves/Temp(Ni,Ti,SS)/TCR/TC Curves
Battery: Dual 18650 batteries(not included)
Screen: 2.0-inch TFT colorful screen
Temperature Range: 200℉--600℉/100℃--300℃
Resistance: 0.1 – 2.0ohm for TC mode / TCR mode / TC Curves
Thread: 510 thread
Reverse protection/ Over-heating protection/ Low voltage protection/ Overload/Short-circuit protection/ Over-time protection
Newest Ant225 Chipset
Classic Double UI Options
Customized VW/TC Curve Mode
Firmware Upgradeable & Wallpaper DIY
Colours: Rainbow, Gold, Red, Black

The Display

The device allows you to have 2 different styles of main screen, Style one is where you can choose to have wallpaper, there are 9 different ones to choose. You can also upload your own to the device to take the place of any of the 9 slots so you can have the crest of your football team, rock band logo, pet or picture of a loved one etc as your background. Style two is a speedometer which is very nice and the needle moves as you vape. Both styles give you the same information it's just how it is presented with the speedometer is in keeping with the speedometers looks. I especially like the speedometer as it's been updated since the "Cylon" and "Ranker", underneath animated turning cogs have been added. Their is also two choices of screensaver which the screen switches to after a period of inactivity (you can set how many seconds), first their is a very nice busy steampunk style clock face and the second is to have the chosen wallpaper. These settings are mix and match, it doesn't matter what style you use for your main screen you can choose watch or wallpaper as your screensaver. The display is top notch with everything sharp and crystal clear also the pictures are high quality.

The review continues in the post underneath

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The review continued:

Using the Charon Mini

To fit the batteries you need to remove the back of the Mini which can be done by using your fingernail in a notch at the base of the device. The battery compartment is neat and tidy with clear orientation printed in White, once the batteries are in place the back can be put back on, magnets keep it in place securely. The menu system is almost app style in nature which allows for the device to have a lot going on yet keeping it simple and quick to navigate around. To turn the device on and off is the usual 5 clicks and to enter the menu system is 3 clicks. The menu screen displays four icons, VW, TC, Settings and Wallpapers. Sometimes choosing something in the menu system takes you straight back to your main screen but with that item now selected, for example if when in the VW menu i choose normal it takes me back to the main screen but norm is now activated. When in wattage mode pressing the left and right buttons together locks the device but it will still fire. In the temp control menu when you select your wire type it again takes you back to the main screen but now the display is temperature rather than wattage. When you are in a temp control mode pressing the left and right buttons together locks the resistance and right and fire together allows you to alter the wattage. If whatever you choose in the menu system doesn't take you back to the main screen which is usually when choosing something gives you further options then holding down the fire button takes you back. All navigation in the menu is done by using the left and right buttons with the fire button being select. Back to the menu, if you select VW icon it gives you choices of min, norm, max or custom curve. Selecting TC gives you your various wires, TCR and temperature curve. Choosing settings allows you to adjust the brightness, the time, whether you want Speedometer or Wallpaper, Screen timeout or Screensaver mode (watch face or picture). Finally choosing Wallpapers gives you nine very nice pictures to choose from. The menu system is very well done and aesthetically pleasing.

Performance

When i reviewed both the "Cylon" and the "Ranker" I had nothing put praise on their performance, so it was no surprise to me how well the Charon Mini performs using the updated Ant chip, i just can't fault it. The Mini fires instantly and seems to hit quite hard, wattage seems very accurate and it feels very comfortable to use, how close it gets to the 225 claimed wattage i have no idea. Although i doubt it will do 225W i would expect it to get closer than a lot of other duel 18650 devices claiming similar wattage. I own other Smoant products including a couple i bought because i find they out perform some more expensive devices, with Smoant you get quality at a reasonable price. I particularly like the custom curves on this device, they are done very well. The Ant225 chip is very efficient and battery life seems slightly better than most other duel 18650 devices. 25mm tanks sit flush on the plate with 26mm tanks slightly overhanging the plate but not the device, although there will be a gap due to the plate being slightly raised to protect the finish of the device. The Charon Mini supports 1.5A charging and is fully firmware upgradable.

Conclusion

Another great device from Smoant, excellent performance and aesthetically pleasing app style menu system packed with features, it's hard to think of a better device at the price level.

Great performance
Excellent build quality
Custom Curves both wattage and temp control
Temp Control
Large high resolution colour display
Easy menu system
2 Main screen modes
Centre 510
Wallpapers
Customisation
High Wattage
Good battery life
Wallpapers
Ergonomic
Fires instantly
Can upload own pictures
1.5A charging
Firmware upgradeable

Uploading Your Own Pictures

To upload your own pictures to the device download the following software:
http://smoant.com/charon-mini-update.rar

I would once again like to thank Kristy from Smoant for supplying The Charon Mini for the purpose of this review

http://smoant.com/charon-mini-225w-upgra...index.html

VU Sponsors