Become a Patron!

Smoant Battlestar RTA review by Mjag

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
jpPIGZF.jpg

HIwKmll.jpg

Hello once again VU and thank you for taking the time to read my review of the Smoant Battlestar RTA that was sent directly from Smoant for the purpose of this review.

If you want to find out really quick my overall conclusion you can scroll down to the Pros and Cons section and Conclusion to save you some time.

Specs

1) Size: 24.5mm (Diameters) *34mm (Height)

2) Capacity:3.5ML

3) Top Filling Juice, cleaner and easier.

4) 17.5mm big velocity deck

5) 304SS + Quartz Glass tube + PEEK insulator

6) Easy to Clean, all components can be disassembled

7) Adjustable Airflow Control system

9) Yellow,Black,Stainless Steel,Copper,Tarnish, Golden color available

What's in the box

Rc7O5oG.jpg

1* Battlestar RTA

1* Spare glass tube

1* Screw driver

4* Screws

4* Spare Silicone o-rings

1* User manual

First Impressions

It is a little plain looking but the laser etching on the chimney is understated so not in your face like I like it. Build quality is pretty nice and love that they used a stainless steel threading inside the delrin drip tip which makes opening and closing a cinch.

Wasn't too excited by the slot grub screws, for me they are hit or miss if I will like them.

FVmlf7l.jpg

Threading is pretty smooth but you have to be careful when reinstalling the chimney back on the deck. AFC is nice and smooth and has stopper at full open and close.

Didn't have machine oil smell but I still took it apart to give it a rinse with a little dishwashing soap but didn't feel the ultrasonic was needed.

3VCSNC2.jpg

Love that the top of the chimney it not flat, it is cone shaped which helps with flavor and it sure does work.

VDGYmeI.jpg

0OkS2E9.jpg

The Build Deck

I ran 3 different builds through the Battlestar RTA, dual Triple core parallel fused claptons SS316L 30Gx3/38G, the same but with 28Gx3/36G, both from Advanced Vape Supply and a simple 26g single strand SS316L from Temco.

Since it is not a huge build deck I used a 2.5mm post for all 3 builds. With that size I figured it would also give me enough cotton for wicking.

All the builds worked well but my favorite by far was the Triple core parallel fused claptons SS316L 30Gx3/38G, you can buy it here if interested: Advanced Vape Supply

6W2jQGt.jpg

I generally like my builds to be about even with the top of the velocity posts. I find that the closer my coils get to the top of the chimney the flavor is a little better and with this setup it worked just right. It can get a little spity depending on your watts or temp but dialed in it is a tasty vape for sure.

Wicking is a little tricky on this one, I got it right with my first and 3rd build but the 2nd I had to redo as it was a little too tight so flavor suffered. If you get it too loose you will get leaking as well. I found if I cut my wicks at a V on the bottom after fluffing them out it really helped.

FoXsKXw.jpg

You want the thick part to be flush with the deck and the V will protrude down, almost touching the bottom.

yiPjtBW.jpg

Flavor and Clouds

First off I wanted to mention that I was able to get 4ml to the very top with a syringe. Probably not the best idea though as a couple times I got a little leaking when closing the top cap as the extra juice needed someplace to go.

You're not going to winning any cloud competitions with the this RTA since it has a smaller chamber and slightly restricted airflow. That is not what this tank is about though, it is more of a flavor tank but the clouds are nice and dense.

Flavor is on point though, damn do I love the flavor I get with the Battlestar RTA with the right build. Flavor was good with the single strand 26g dual coil build and better with the triple core parallel clapton 28g core but when I put in the Triple core parallel fused claptons SS316L 30Gx3/38G wow, the flavor really pops big time. We are talking RDA good flavor here, I have been extremely impressed.

I have to admit though, with the single strand 26g build I felt the flavor was pedestrian, not bad but run of the mill. With the right build and wicking though this tank has quickly become a favorite of mine for flavor but it is not going to be forgiving of a lesser build.

This tank really does burn through juice with some builds, I actually checked for leaks a few times because I couldn't believe it was empty already. At least your are rewarded with excellent flavor for the guzzling of juice.

Grub Screws

I had gone through 2 builds using the included slotted grub screws but on the 3rd build the little screwdriver they included gave out just as I was unscrewing the last one. I was able to get it out but then decided to replace them with standard grub screws I bought from fasttech: Replacement Screws for Atomizers (10-Pack) M2.5*3mm thread size

The included screws were still in good shape, just the screwdriver they included gave out and twisted up pretty good.

Pros and Cons

Pros

* Fantastic flavor

* Nice dense clouds

* Stainless Steel threading in delrin top cap

* Solid build quality

* All delrin top so no bacon lips

* Large kidney shaped fill holes, accepts dripper bottles without leaving a mess

Cons

* Can't use your own drip tips

* Slightly restrictive deep lung, would be nice to have just a bit more airflow

* Rather plain looking but maybe that is just the black

* Juice guzzler depending on build

* Tricky to wick, can take some practice to get it right

* Slotted Grub Screws with a low quality standard screwdriver included

Conclusion

I have been using the Battlestar RTA for a little over 2 weeks now on a daily basis. Even though it does have it's cons, the biggest for me is not being able to use your own drip tip I still love this RTA.

If your into only high powered cloud chucking tanks like the TFV12 then this tank is probably not for you. I love my TFV12 but this RTA is a different animal and more geared for flavor, in that respect I love it more than the TFV12.

I will admit the black Battlestar RTA is too plain looking for me. Flavor though has me hooked so I will be buying a Copper version to go with my Copper Battlestar mod. That is the highest recommendation I can make is that I am going to spend my own money to buy another one so I can get all matching with my mod. I know I am going to use the hell out of it so easy decision to make.

This is an easy tank to recommend for flavor chasers like me. It is going to be in my regular rotation of tanks and used to compare to other tanks in the future.

Thank you to Smoant for sending me this excellent tank, I really had a fun time reviewing it and will continue to enjoy it for a long time.

As I was writing this review I was on a desperate search to find the copper version to match my copper battlestar. I found it here for $24.99 but they still have the coupon code 20Off which made it $19.99 and it ships out of the US. I wound up ordering 2, 1 for me and the other for a friends birthday. You can find it here: Smoant Battlestar RTA

Pics of the Smoant Battlestar RTA on various mods:

PBXZBxV.jpg

Smoant Charon

ONnQFcr.jpg

Smoant Bronzed Blue Battlestar

PN0b7lI.jpg

Smoant Copper Battlestar, soon to be equipped with the copper RTA!

Ky7ubVP.jpg

Tesla Nano 120W black finish

fQwdYzg.jpg

ETAlien 100W blue with rubber sleeve on

xNEfwW0.jpg

Vaporesso Nebula

JW1ulod.jpg

SXMini G Class

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Jack!

I had actually ordered the Copper from fasttech based on your review. Fasttech canceled my order the day before this black one showed up which I wasn't expecting. Talk about a kick ass surprise.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks Jack!

I had actually ordered the Copper from fasttech based on your review. Fasttech canceled my order the day before this black one showed up which I wasn't expecting. Talk about a kick ass surprise.
Thank you. Yeah that sux. I never had FT cancel an order on me. Weird? Wonder what that was all about? Their a wacky company to deal with especially if there's a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. Yeah that sux. I never had FT cancel an order on me. Weird? Wonder what that was all about? Their a wacky company to deal with especially if there's a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They said they were having problems sourcing them and discontinued it so they canceled mine and gave me a refund. I was bummed one day and happy the next when it showed up. Guess it was a blessing in disguise as I now have the black and ordered the copper from ecig.com today.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just ordered that Copper one 15 minutes ago thank you mjag for the review and link...

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk
From your pictures this RDA looks great on all kinds of Mods, I have wanted a copper tank for my copper Battlestar for a few months...

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks bud.

I think they have plans to offer it as a kit with the battlestar mod in the furture, at least they show it in that form on there website.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That will be great news if they do!

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Manny what is the tank model ?? I love that tank....

That's the Limitless Plus and yes it is a bad MF...... The flavor and clouds and its 6.3ml...... Get one no shit !!!!!!

Attachments

• MY MODS 007small.JPG
    MY MODS 007small.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 7

VU Sponsors