Become a Patron!

SJMY vs. SXK Kayfun v5 clone

VapeForHealth88

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hello fellow vapers I have a question for you Kayfun masters out there. I'm looking to get a Kayfun clone but not sure which to go with SJMY or SXK.

kiwivaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SJMY .. its so good i ordered 2 more, love it!!! ive used a authentic v5 and tbh there is no difference in performance just in price!!!

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just wanted to comment on the SJMY Kayfun V5 clone that I recently purchased from 3FVape. In a word... Awesome! The two sections of the unit were very loose, which I narrowed down to the stock SMJY o-ring set. The stock o-rings are absolute shit! I used o-rings from my authentic KF5, which seems to have fixed the tolerance issue. Although they are no longer loose, they still move much easier than the authentic with the same spec o-ring set. I'm going to need to replace the top cap and chimney o-rings as well... If I don't, it will surely leak. Once I get it wicked, I will report back with an update.

The fit and finish are superb! The edges within the build deck nest-assembly are very sharp, so be careful there. You can knock them down with a Dremel, but it's not really needed. Tolerances aside, the only visible difference I can see between the authentic and the SJMY, is that the SM logo is not centered above the JC flow port. This is fine with me, because don't ever want to get the two mixed-up... Ha!

The 3FVape forum/website "SJMY Fayfun V5 vs Authentic Kayfun V5" comparison is not accurate. If you look at the pics, you will notice that the SM logo on the so-called "authentic" model is not centered above the JC ports. All authentic models have the SM logo centered above the ports. I don't know what happened there, but I felt this is something I should point out.

http://blog.3fvape.com/atomizer/sjmy-kayfun-v5-style-rta-review-comparison-with-authentic-kf5/

I've been vaping since 2008, so I've used quite a few atomizers, of course. I have to say, that the Kayfun V5 is hands-down the best RTA experience I've found. The Wotofo Serpent Mini is one of my favorite 22mm RTA attys. In terms of flavor... With identical coil wraps, the Kayfun V5 bitch-slaps the Serpent Mini all the way back to China! No contest at all.

Last edited:

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I don't know about the SJMY but I had an SXK and it was pretty solid. This guy compares the SXK, Tobeco & authentic:

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love his reviews, but clones are always being updated on some level. With the advent of LIDAR digital mapping, any item can be machined to identical specs. Not everyone has this, as LIDAR is still fairly new. Dentists are now using LIDAR which is replacing "pink goop" for recording surface foundation. As companies update their facilities with LIDAR, you will see products that are indistinguishable from their "authentic" counter-parts. Some may already have it, so don't be surprised to see "mirror image" items being released.

As I stated in my OP, there is a difference in part tolerance between the SV and SJMY, but this may not have any effect on performance. Who knows, it may be an improvement? My authentic V5 has a very tight turn! Not too tight, but it is noticeably tighter than the SJMY. I ordered 1 x Tobeco Kayfun V4 yesterday, along with 2 x SXK V5's, and 1 x V5 Mini from Fasttech. 2018 is just around the corner, and a lot of manufactures are going to stop production long before the ban comes into effect. I'm stocking-up while a still can.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have the SXK KF V5 clone from FT, its well made, has the logo, and suffers from the problems the V5 has, the draw is too airy for many hardcore MTL vapers who loved the tight draw of the V2 plus. SV makes an insert to reduce the air intake and I bought one, but it does NOT fit the SXK V5, the center post inner diameter is smaller, I have heard that it fits the SMJY V5. I bought a replacement center post from FT but have yet to see if it fits that.
I prefer the SXK KF V3 for the tighter draw, but even that one I will likely modify to restrict two of the four air holes at some point. A true MTL atty should allow adjusting airflow to a tight draw, otherwise its just a restricted lung hitter. My opinion and I'm sticking with it, like Phil Busardo ;)

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Due to the toxins that form above 400F, I've been moving away from MTL hitters. I prefer to use Kanthal A1 when going MTL, but TC isn't an option with Kanthal. I never run my coils hotter than 390F, but I do enjoy a warm vape. I've tried MTL using SS @ 400F, but it's just not my thing.

I love the Kayfun V5, but the Kayfun V4 has become my go-to atty. I installed a sub-Ohm kit in it yesterday, but I think I prefer the stock air tube w/adjustable AFC screw. Once this tank is empty, I'm going to put the stock air tube back; but leave the sub-Ohm insulator in place. The V5 has a more advanced AFC, but the flavor (IMO) isn't quite as good as the V4 or V5 Mini. I haven't experimented with the AFC on the V5, so I may be missing out.

What I would like to have, are glass tops for my Kayfun's; but I don't know if they are even available. After getting a Trinity Comp glass cap for my Goon and Troll attys, I'm sold! It's not hype... If you want max flavor, glass is where it's at. :)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Due to the toxins that form above 400F, I've been moving away from MTL hitters. I prefer to use Kanthal A1 when going MTL, but TC isn't an option with Kanthal. I never run my coils hotter than 390F, but I do enjoy a warm vape. I've tried MTL using SS @ 400F, but it's just not my thing.

I love the Kayfun V5, but the Kayfun V4 has become my go-to atty. I installed a sub-Ohm kit in it yesterday, but I think I prefer the stock air tube w/adjustable AFC screw. Once this tank is empty, I'm going to put the stock air tube back; but leave the sub-Ohm insulator in place. The V5 has a more advanced AFC, but the flavor (IMO) isn't quite as good as the V4 or V5 Mini. I haven't experimented with the AFC on the V5, so I may be missing out.

What I would like to have, are glass tops for my Kayfun's; but I don't know if they are even available. After getting a Trinity Comp glass cap for my Goon and Troll attys, I'm sold! It's not hype... If you want max flavor, glass is where it's at. :)
I don't know that MTL on a current generation device at low power is any worse than DL at high power, would like to see studies on more devices. In any case these days I MTL and alternate between TC at around 350- 400 deg F or power control at 11 W and get the same vape with 316L 28AWG 6 wraps spaced 0.6 ohms, and have no fear of aldehydes formation with that setup :) Im also vaping diy 80pg/20vg and that would release fewer aldehydes than high VG at higher temps.

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to try going 80% PG as well. I just purchased several liters of liquid nicotine from Nicotine River, Wizard, and Carolinaxtract, all PG based.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm going to try going 80% PG as well. I just purchased several liters of liquid nicotine from Nicotine River, Wizard, and Carolinaxtract, all PG based.
That's a lot of nic! I've been vaping nix salts base lately from Nude Nicotine. Very smooth nic, but the "Smooth" turns dark amber quickly and after a month or two It seems to affect the taste. The "Signature" nic salts is slower to darken but I kind of miss the nic hit so going to order some regular nic. Have you used carolinaxtract before? I've heard good things about it. Is the shipping high? I only order 100mg in smaller sizes like 120 or 150 ml and shipping cost stopped me from ordering it from Nic River.

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a lot of nic! I've been vaping nix salts base lately from Nude Nicotine. Very smooth nic, but the "Smooth" turns dark amber quickly and after a month or two It seems to affect the taste. The "Signature" nic salts is slower to darken but I kind of miss the nic hit so going to order some regular nic. Have you used carolinaxtract before? I've heard good things about it. Is the shipping high? I only order 100mg in smaller sizes like 120 or 150 ml and shipping cost stopped me from ordering it from Nic River.
I have never used Carolinaxtract, but it is advertised as being derived from tobacco. I wish I had known about them before purchasing from the other suppliers. I have heard only good things. Never tried the Nic Salts, but I do have some liquids that have turned amber on me. I was wondering what caused that? Now I know... My Charlie Nobel Pistachio and Milkman Strawberry both look like old nitrocellulose lacquer! :)

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I purchased too much nic, obviously... I may need to sell some of it off.

VU Sponsors