Become a Patron!

Single or Dual coil for TC

Metsuk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, anyone have tested the accuracy of control temperature for single vs dual coil?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The chip just does a calculation based on the ohm load. As the ohm load goes up it cuts the power back.
I'm sure there is some variation as you add more coils but I highly doubt it's a temperature difference you can pick up with your body.

My neighbor has an infrared thermometer and I used it to try to pick up on the temp of my coils and it wasn't even close to the temp it was set to. I'm not totally sure how you'd measure stuff like that if the infrared didn't do it.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is important with a dual coil setup that your coils are identical. Same ohms, same number of turns, same wire, etc. Differences in resistance between the two coils will totally upset the temperature control accuracy. You may get consistency, but not accuracy. The two coils will be running at different temperatures.

Metsuk

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is important with a dual coil setup that your coils are identical. Same ohms, same number of turns, same wire, etc. Differences in resistance between the two coils will totally upset the temperature control accuracy. You may get consistency, but not accuracy. The two coils will be running at different temperatures.
How much different in temp +/-? 5-10%?

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How much different in temp +/-? 5-10%?
Depends on the difference in the coils but that's not a TC issue that's an issue with any circuit. The power will always favor a lower resistance because it's easier to flow through.
To avoid this just build identical coils and make sure they heat evenly.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thought I'd post this for you. Dual coil 26g SS316L Evic Mini with Arctic Fox Firmware Baby Beast RBA. Red is the temp.
Evic Mini Dual Coil.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors