Become a Patron!

Simplicity : vape philosophy and theory

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I posted this on another forum but wanted your thoughts as well.

I've tried many devices and tanks. Let's begin with a little personal history.

Started with halo g6 - (I actually still dig this, it's good for hands free lol running around cleaning... You can leave it in your mouth)

Next was the kanger emow kit- didn't last long the battery wire came disconnected and it seemed to get too hot so I hated it. I kept the tank despite its tendency to have that crackling sound. However, when I moved on it became obsolete.

I then moved to the eleaf 20 w and a nautilus mini. I like this but the connection kept getting stripped. Loved the nauti though.

For kicks I bought the aspire vv battery kit that came with another nauti. They were made for each other. Only complaint is the way you charge it. But taste and everything was on point. I kept as back up after "moving up"

Then I got a ipv mini 2 and forgot about my aspire vv. This device is weird. The flavor changes depending on the battery level when it gets below a certain point I always get a burnt taste. I always have a problem with taste on this ipv.

I then bought an eleaf 30 w tc. Again total weirdness with battery level but overall I have a no taste issue or weird taste.

I also bought new tanks when I got the eleaf. Kanger nano and an innokin apex sub ohm. I like the nano with the regular non sub ohm coils. Not digging the sub ohm thing but that might be because I'm new. My nano though, the glass got disconnected from the top and bottom and can't seem to rectify the issue.

Anyway I'm sitting here Vaping along on my eleaf and nauti unsatisfied and annoyed. I thought it was me. Then it dawned on me that I still had my aspire vv and decided to run an experiment. So I screw my nauti onto my vv and I get a flavor punch. At first I didn't think this should make sense. I mean such an advanced device like the eleaf and ipv should be better right? The vv is so simple, no frills device, with no digital screen, vw, or temp control. So why is the flavor better on my aspire?

I thought maybe the higher powered devices are actually over rated. Some things are actually a bad idea, like o rings (nano).

Another thought is that the higher powered devices are actually for dripping and the rba world and not for tank users like myself. Even the sub ohm tanks seem complicated because certain nic levels can effect everything.

So it comes down to compatibility. I mean the aspire vv was literally made for nauti. The 20w eleaf was pictured often with the nauti It's a combo deal. I don't think there are bad tanks and batteries just bad combos, even if something may work on a battery doesn't mean it will be best.

I also think the industry has become the equivalent of the cell phone world. Let's add frills for the next gen version that doesn't necessarily improve function and sometimes diminishes the originals function. Like most people will say I just want a PHONE that makes calls and maybe has text message capabilities. Naturally though we get pulled in by the frills.

Anyway I'll leave the higher power to the cloud chasers. Maybe one day I'll do the whole wrapping my own cotton and making coils. For now I'm keeping it simple.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but here is something I just figured out. I did sometimes notice a difference in taste with battery level on my cloupor mini. 30w, no tc. No weird or burnt taste, but definitely a difference and it would also seem to not want to heat up as much at the same wattage setting. I noticed something, though. Kanthal has a very low affect on resistance with temperature change, but there is a difference in the hundredths of Ohm's. When the device is cold as it hasn't been fired in awhile, it will read 0.83. As the coil warms up more with continuous vaping, it will read anywhere from 0.84 to 0.88. This got me to thinking. I switched to voltage mode and turned it to the device's lowest voltage setting, 3.6v. As the resistance of the coil fluctuates, even ever so slightly, the wattage needed to maintain that voltage will change. As the resistance gets slightly higher, the watts get lower. When the resistance drops again, the watts increase. My thinking as to why is this. As metal heats, it expands. This accounts for the slight change in resistance. As resistance changes, the watts needed to maintain a certain voltage change as well, so the device adjusts wattage. Now, maybe I'm wrong and my device is giving me wacky readings but this is my theory. Anyway, since I switched to voltage mode and locked the power settings by holding the up and down buttons for 5 seconds, I noticed no difference in flavor even all the way down to 20% battery. At this point I pulled the battery to charge it because I'm laying down. But this is my experience, I could be right or my device could just be wacky lol.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but here is something I just figured out. I did sometimes notice a difference in taste with battery level on my cloupor mini. 30w, no tc. No weird or burnt taste, but definitely a difference and it would also seem to not want to heat up as much at the same wattage setting. I noticed something, though. Kanthal has a very low affect on resistance with temperature change, but there is a difference in the hundredths of Ohm's. When the device is cold as it hasn't been fired in awhile, it will read 0.83. As the coil warms up more with continuous vaping, it will read anywhere from 0.84 to 0.88. This got me to thinking. I switched to voltage mode and turned it to the device's lowest voltage setting, 3.6v. As the resistance of the coil fluctuates, even ever so slightly, the wattage needed to maintain that voltage will change. As the resistance gets slightly higher, the watts get lower. When the resistance drops again, the watts increase. My thinking as to why is this. As metal heats, it expands. This accounts for the slight change in resistance. As resistance changes, the watts needed to maintain a certain voltage change as well, so the device adjusts wattage. Now, maybe I'm wrong and my device is giving me wacky readings but this is my theory. Anyway, since I switched to voltage mode and locked the power settings by holding the up and down buttons for 5 seconds, I noticed no difference in flavor even all the way down to 20% battery. At this point I pulled the battery to charge it because I'm laying down. But this is my experience, I could be right or my device could just be wacky lol.
What about full charge and medium I get the best taste when it's at half charge on both my ipv and the eleaf. I think your theory is accurate but I don't have voltage mode I can only play with the watts and the voltage automatically adjusts.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Either way it will adjust power as resistance changes. Also check to make sure your post screws are tight. If one of the post screws gets loose the resistance readings will go all wonky.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it gets much more simple than a dripper on a mech. That's what I always fall back to. The only thing that's changed about those things is better form factor, more affordability, safer/more comfortable switches, better conductivity and reduced drop... ...etc. Functionality-wise, VW devices are as varied as life on earth, but a mech is just a mech.

As much as I like my VW/high-wattage devices and really fancy atties/tank systems, one thing that really irks me is this "onto the next new thing" mentality that the industry seems to have. Sometimes I buy into the hype and I snag one. I use it extensively for a little while, thinking it's really neat. But over time, the novelty fades and I'm back to my staple mechs and atties. Lots of great devices and interesting ideas floating around out there, but most of the time, I want something that just consistently works exactly the way I want it to.

Every now and then, a company will come out with a simple, inexpensive device that's just perfect. It just works like it should - has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. The problem is that they'll only produce it for a year or two before they replace it with some feature-bloated piece of crap. And now that's what everyone who didn't buy the better version is stuck with... ...these fangled fucking.... ...contraptions.

It's all because its new and "new" is always better... ...always more value. That's how a lot of these vape gear manufacturers stay in business. They need for us to buy new devices once or twice a year to keep their sales up because they haven't thought of a way to keep people coming back other than churning out new designs at an absurd rate.

Sometimes I wonder to myself if maybe the perfect setup as already come and gone. My advice to new vapers out there is that if you ever come across a device that seems perfectly constructed and works just like you want it to, buy several while they're still on the market. Covet them like Jewish gold.

Don't get me wrong. I love all of the new ideas and the push for innovation, but not if it comes at the cost of not refining the basics and nailing down the stuff we know just works. Fundamentals, man. That's what I look at when shopping for new gear.

vaporchaos

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it gets much more simple than a dripper on a mech. That's what I always fall back to. The only thing that's changed about those things is better form factor, more affordability, safer/more comfortable switches, better conductivity and reduced drop... ...etc. Functionality-wise, VW devices are as varied as life on earth, but a mech is just a mech.

As much as I like my VW/high-wattage devices and really fancy atties/tank systems, one thing that really irks me is this "onto the next new thing" mentality that the industry seems to have. Sometimes I buy into the hype and I snag one. I use it extensively for a little while, thinking it's really neat. But over time, the novelty fades and I'm back to my staple mechs and atties. Lots of great devices and interesting ideas floating around out there, but most of the time, I want something that just consistently works exactly the way I want it to.

Every now and then, a company will come out with a simple, inexpensive device that's just perfect. It just works like it should - has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. The problem is that they'll only produce it for a year or two before they replace it with some feature-bloated piece of crap. And now that's what everyone who didn't buy the better version is stuck with... ...these fangled fucking.... ...contraptions.

It's all because its new and "new" is always better... ...always more value. That's how a lot of these vape gear manufacturers stay in business. They need for us to buy new devices once or twice a year to keep their sales up because they haven't thought of a way to keep people coming back other than churning out new designs at an absurd rate.

Sometimes I wonder to myself if maybe the perfect setup as already come and gone. My advice to new vapers out there is that if you ever come across a device that seems perfectly constructed and works just like you want it to, buy several while they're still on the market. Covet them like Jewish gold.

Don't get me wrong. I love all of the new ideas and the push for innovation, but not if it comes at the cost of not refining the basics and nailing down the stuff we know just works. Fundamentals, man. That's what I look at when shopping for new gear.
Your name doesn't really fit your intellect and indigo like wakefulness

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your name doesn't really fit your intellect and indigo like wakefulness
That's probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. Thanks!

There's no logic behind how I choose my internet handles. I just find that when I try to pick a name that more represents how I see myself, it comes off sounding lame... ...like I'm taking myself too seriously. I prefer to choose something nonsensical because I don't want people to get the impression that I take myself as seriously as I tend to come off as being.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The main difference between mech and regulated is that, theoretically, performance should not suffer on a regulated mod as the battery drains. But it will on a mech.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The main difference between mech and regulated is that, theoretically, performance should not suffer on a regulated mod as the battery drains. But it will on a mech.
Well, yes, assuming it is regulating the power efficiently and accurately reading the coil as well as the batteries.

The more immediate difference is in the way that the two hit. A regulated device delivers consistent voltage from the time you press the button until you let go. In a mech, the battery voltage and current sag increasingly more from the beginning to the end of the hit. I believe this completely changes the heating curve of the coil. On a mech, the wattage generated is decreasing as the coil temperature is increasing - so the temperature trails off and sort of peaks at a certain point. A reggie box will continue to pump the same amount of power into the coil, so the temperature increases more rapidly as time goes by.

A lot of people prefer the way a regulated box hits. They're very direct and coils built for them tend to rapidly hit the desired temperature. I personally don't always like this about them. I don't consider a drop-off undesirable. I like to take longer drags without my coils overheating. I also notice that I never have wicking problems on a mech. I think of it as natural temperature control. It just makes for an all-around smoother vape.

You know what might actually be neat? A regulated device with a toggled mech-style power drop off.. ...sort of like temperature control, only more simplistic. It gradually dials back the voltage just slightly, millisecond by millisecond.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There is at least one device I know of that does regulated and mech but I can't recall which device it is.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is at least one device I know of that does regulated and mech but I can't recall which device it is.
Hmmm. I had a Cloupor 30w box back in the day that had a "bounce" feature. Basically, if the coil ran at above 30w at the max voltage, it would bypass the whole chip and essentially act like a wired, single battery unregulated box. Is that sort of what you're picturing?

I was thinking more like a series, dual 18650 regulated mod that can change the way it regulates power to mimic the way a mech delivers power only without the power dip as the batteries depleted. Something that hits like a mech, but still regulates the power coming off of the batteries and still routes it through buck/boost circuitry. Basically, on the battery end, it behaves like a regulated box, but the power coming from the chip to the atty is closer to that of a mech.

Just seems like it might not be such a bad way to negate the loss in performance as battery voltage drops and improve capacity, all around. It would also make for a safer sub-ohm mech style setup. You get the best of both worlds.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, the mod I am thinking of had a toggle mode, you could switch the chip off. I'm gonna Google and see if I can find it.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
vapingunderground.com/threads/regulated-mod-with-mech-mode.78171/

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It was probably one of the ones in that thread, I didn't check specifically to see if I could remember what it looked like.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From my earliest days of vaping, many referred to "finding one's sweet spot" as the goal. That meant finding a setup and liquid that fit your style, so you could simply vape without the continuous hunt. Settling into a long term relationship versus a constant stream of first dates lol.

I am thankful I got into vaping and found my sweet spot some time ago, so the continuous vendor siren song of "more" falls on deaf ears. I now think of "more" in terms of stocking up the things I enjoy versus chasing things because they are new. I have the power, vapor and flavor I desire, so it has become very simple.

Whether the FDA comes down hard on us or not, the planned obsolescence of very good devices means that if you have a sweet setup, stocking up is the only way to ensure you will be able to continue using the vape of your choice in the future.

VU Sponsors