Become a Patron!

Simple starter recipes

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well it's time for me to join this century. This will actually be my first post to any forum so here goes:
I've been vaping for a couple years now and I really enjoy it. Like a lot of other posters here I'm new to the world of DIY and I'm looking at all of the flavors and options that are available. I've spent a lot of time lurking in the background amazed by the wealth of knowledge and ideas here. I've seen all of the recipes with large numbers of flavors and honestly it's a bit intimidating and there is always that one flavor that we're missing. I would like this thread to be a place where all of the newbies can go to find good simple recipes and learn more about how flavors interact.
So, to all of you that we are learning from, please share with us some of your favorite 2 and 3 flavor recipes that we can try, learn from, and most of all ENJOY.
Thanks

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thread moved to DIY General Discussion. You'll get a lot of information here.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, much appreciated. Nothing like newbie mistakes

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well here is a really simple one.

TFA strawberries and cream (Single flavor)..7% or higher depending on ones taste.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replays. For me, flavors are like painting a house. Show me the tools and I'll do a really good job, just don't ask me to pick the colors that go together

Last edited:

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In my opinion, the first recipes you should start with are single flavor mixes of each flavoring you have. Base it on the manufacturer's recommended starting percentage or ask here about that. This way you can get an idea of what each juice tastes like on its own and what hey might taste like mixed with other flavors.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Larry, I definitely agree with trying them one at a time.

I figure that all of us newbies will be in the same boat wondering what flavors to order and try out together first.

My thought was that some initial pairings that are successful will keep my/our interest and hopefully get the creative juices flowing

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cap custard v1 12%
Cap sweet Cream 2%
Hangsen Vanilla 3% ( can sub your favorite vanilla here )

Infinitely changeable. can add an additional: 1-2% tfa vanilla swirl or 1% tfa brown sugar extra or 0.5% Cap graham Cracker or .25% FA oakwood and a drop of ecx tobacco absolute and BOOM smoked tobacco custard. requires a long steep. vapeable at one week, tasty at 2, and awesome after a month. Not a shake and vape right after mixing it will give you the ick taste!

or you can dd 2% cap sweet strawberry and have an awesome strawberry custard

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Or while you're doing that...go through some of HIC's/wllmc's/cramptholomew's/smokyblue's/huckleberried's etc posted recipes and just follow them. Flavourt Art flavors aren't that expensive (purvapes sells 3ml samples for $1.50 each). Figure out what recipes you like and want to make more of and order larger quanities from there. I totally get the intimidation factor but new DIYers fall into 2 catagories: 1. The "all in" vaper. This person will go and order ungodly quantities of anything and everything and waste a lot of $ on crap they will NEVER use. 2. The DIYer who is intimidated so much that they order one thing at a time and settle for really substandard juice THINKING that they are "learning". Well you can go broke and make A LOT of bad juice that you will throw away doing either of those. The way I did it was with HIC's recipes. I found the one that I wanted to start with (Xtra Smooth Tiramisu Cream). It had 4 flavors that I saw in TONS of recipes. I knew that I would LOVE it if I could duplicate his recipe so I ordered the 4 flavors from purvapes.com in the 3 ml bottles. I already had the nic/vg and pg in small quantities as well. Well the purevapes order came in, I made a 30 ml bottle and HOLY CRAP was I hooked. I made an actual JUICE that was better quality than anything I had tasted by Mt Baker or any of the other "bargain vendors" I had tried.

Now I had the confidence. Did I go crazy? NOOOOOO I found a few more recipes that I wanted to try and placed another purevapes order of 3 mls of the new flavors. I wasn't gonna waste money if my first try turned out to be a fluke! LOL When the new flavors came in, I tried those recipes and guess what...DIY is pretty simple if you find generous people like the ones here who selflessly post their hard work for you to follow. I say ALL THAT to say this. There's nothing wrong with ordering a single flavor to try and learn the characteristics and how they work well with other flavors..blah blah blah I personally don't have the time to experiment that much and I have no designs on owning a juice company. But you don't have to be intimidated into trying to reinvent the wheel or think of yourself as some sort of pioneer that has to suffer with the learning curve. It's ok, you're getting healthier by getting off the stinkies. Cheat, trying other people's recipes first..stuff you can look at and say "ohhh..I'm gonna LIKE THAT". Once you get a few recipes under your belt...whether you know it or not, you are gonna learn how the flavors work together and one day you might be working on a recipe and say to yourself "ohhhhh I bet a little Catalan Cream here would smooth this thing right out". Boom! You've arrived and you didn't have to kill yourself wasting a bunch of time to get there...LOL There's too much info posted on these threads to make getting into DIY such a chore. Spend more time reading and less time worrying and making bad one flavored juice. Advice I wish someone had given me before I found this place. Believe me, I was the "all in" diyer and I've thrown away more than you'll probably buy in your first year of doing this..LOL Just my experience..take it for what's it worth.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sketchiness and soulshine thanks for the replies

Soulshine:As I sit here writing my order list I had pretty much come with the same idea as you wrote in the post. I went digging and found a few of HIC's recipes that didn't have too many flavors and wrote them down now off take an order. Thanks for the advice.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a problem at all Scooby. I'm glad I could help! DIY will save you TONS of money. Now if I could stop buying mods and tanks, maybe I could enjoy some of that savings! LOL

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a problem at all Scooby. I'm glad I could help! DIY will save you TONS of money. Now if I could stop buying mods and tanks, maybe I could enjoy some of that savings! LOL
I like to think of it like this: I can always resell my mods and tanks but who would buy my ashtray full of smoked butts? Vaping is an investment in your future. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Buying mods and tanks IS enjoying the savings. :)

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Money is definitely a driving force for me. Just went to a sub tank, which I like, and I'm going through about 15-20ml per day and $20 per 30ml for good juice and 14 for crappy juice is killing me. Plus I live in the middle of nowhere so getting the good stuff requires a 2 hr drive or shipping.my local shop is a nice guy but their juice isn't all that great and prices are astronomical. Just put in an order with mama j and ECX. I'm really looking forward to this.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
15-20 mls a day? Wow, I didn't even do that when I was dripping a lot. Might wanna think about upping your nic a bit there. Pbusardo had a thing in one of his videos about all the sub tanks where he asked Dr F about people who were going thru 20-30 mls a day with super high watts and subtanks. Basically Dr F said that from their earlier studies, the "average" vaper went through anywhere between 3 and 7 mls a day on average. But as with anything, the more liquid you go through, the more "stuff" you're putting in your body and too much of anything is never good. What's the old saying, 8 glasses of water a day is just right but a 10 gallons a day will kill you. Just something to think about. It might not be all that harmful to go through 15 ml a day..but why take the chance? I have a bunch of those tanks and I build them all at 1 ohm or higher. They hold more juice than my Kayfuns and they are more convenient to fill. You don't HAVE to exclusively use those things to go down to .3 or .5. Learn how to build on the deck or learn how to rebuild the stock coils. There are tons of those videos on youtube. At the very least though, I would recommend that you up your nic level a bit. Again, just my 2 cents. Vape your face off and chase all the clouds you want. I'm all for individual freedom. It just seems to me that liquid in that high a volume can't be good.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My problem is that I just like to vape, I run .6ohms on a single coil at around 18 watts. It's not the nicotine that I'm craving, just the habit. I'm about to drop to 0 mg but the habit is what's getting me. I'm a habitual chain vaper. What I really need is a tank with really high air flow and good taste. Don't really care about clouds.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Underatand. Especially with something that tastes so much better than cigarettes! LOL Like I said, just something to keep in mind :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My problem is that I just like to vape, I run .6ohms on a single coil at around 18 watts. It's not the nicotine that I'm craving, just the habit. I'm about to drop to 0 mg but the habit is what's getting me. I'm a habitual chain vaper. What I really need is a tank with really high air flow and good taste. Don't really care about clouds.

Same here, just love to vape:D.

Very Simple Recipe:

FW Butter Pecan 8-10% (It's bad, but it's really good)

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
^^^ Listen to that man. He knows what he's talkin' about! Way more than me! LOL

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like to think of it like this: I can always resell my mods and tanks but who would buy my ashtray full of smoked butts? Vaping is an investment in your future. :)
True! Unless you bought a "Steampunk" mech mod that weights two pounds and has a fussy switch... WTH was I thinking lol? Oh yeah, I wanted to learn how a mechanical mod worked. That seemed more important before I knew anything about it than it does now.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL..Mech mods will come back around someday. Hell, Joe posted a deal on some new kinda CE4 retro clearos that they supposedly improved with new heads. And at least that steam punk stuff is still collectible. A lot more than that a generic silver tube..LOL

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I liked it so much in fact...it's 1 of 3 HIC recipes in my ADV rotation :) I make it 240 mls at a time! LOL

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL..Mech mods will come back around someday. Hell, Joe posted a deal on some new kinda CE4 retro clearos that they supposedly improved with new heads. And at least that steam punk stuff is still collectible. A lot more than that a generic silver tube..LOL

I'm afraid it's worse than that...it's a knock-off that fails even to successfully exploit the style it's ripping off. If I can't manage to trade it to someone it'll just sit around loudly proclaiming my uncoolness forever!

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LOL..well use it I like I use that Dovpo Transformers mod that I bought for no reason at all....as a reminder to THINK about what the hell I'm gonna do with a mod BEFORE I buy it. It doesn't always work (Hello Evic VT!)...but it's prevented me from buying some stuff because it was "shiny"..and I just wanted it because....lol

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nah..stays smoooooothe. It doesn't hang around that long. It's 8/30 mils. If I go on a kick...it's gone in a month and a half..LOL But I store it in the dark brown boston round bottles..in a cabinet. So it's all good :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Scooby01, Another super simple one I started with is HIC's Mandarin Nut Torrone, which is around here somewhere. It was my 2nd or third try at mixing with concentrates and is very good if you like fruity, nutty nougat. I felt like there was a slight nutty-creamsicle effect happening in it, which is better than it sounds :)

I can't find the link yet (do I have the name wrong?) but it's equal amounts of Mandarin/Nut Mix/Torrone, all FA, all 1% or 1.5%. You can use Orange instead of Mandarin or another nut if you don't have or don't like nut mix. I've tried several permutations and and like them all.

(If someone has this link, please post or let me know and I'll add it here).

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
derp.. not sure why my searches missed it. Thanks for the link :)

Before I saw this thread, just today I mixed the bottom of an old bottle of this (Mandarin Nut Torrone) and an equal amount of HIC's Swiss Bliss, hoping for something like Orange Toblerone. It doesn't seem to have worked, but it could be that the Torrone mixture was about 8 weeks old and had faded some.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Before I saw this thread, just today I mixed the bottom of an old bottle of this (Mandarin Nut Torrone) and an equal amount of HIC's Swiss Bliss, hoping for something like Orange Toblerone. It doesn't seem to have worked, but it could be that the Torrone mixture was about 8 weeks old and had faded some.
Chocolate-dipped orange-nut nougat sounds good. :) I like chocolate-orange in most real candy, but as a vape, the flavor balance has to be juuuust right or it kind of disgusts me. lol. I'm pretty sure FA Torrone flavoring includes some acetyl pyrazine; maybe it combines with what's in Swiss Bliss to make just too much.

dannydestroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
soulshine: Great summary. Everything I wanted to say. Welcome to the community Scooby01. listen to HIC. He knows his shit. There is a learning curve but if you set yourself up, you will enjoy it.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow.... Been really busy today and just looked at the thread. Thanks to all of you that have chimed in. I picked out about 5 of HIC's simpler recipes to try first and ordered. I also ran into HIC's thread on mixing based on ratios and that was probably the easiest description of mixing that I've found anywhere. I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot. After lurking on a couple other forums I'm amazed at how different things are here and how helpful everyone is. I can't express how inviting you all are..... Thanks

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yay!! Congrats Scooby01. We're here when you need us. Now, makes us some juice!

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Way to go Scooby! Can't wait to hear how you like them!

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
..... Would anyone mind linking to the HIC's thread on ratio mixing for me? That is way beyond my skills. Lol.. I do good to type this much with one thumb...I think it will help any other newbies that read through this thread.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
HIC's ratio mixing or base mixing? I'm not sure I know the ratio mixing one off the top of my head. HIC has SO many helpful threads.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's titled how to mix small batches of complex recipes. It's the 3rd one on the liquid tips and tricks page.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll send it to you in PM, too, just so you can have it super handy, too.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks.....lol got to figure out how those work to. I appreciate the help....now just have to wait on usps..never fun

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Depending from where you ordered, you should have stuff by Monday or Tuesday I'd think.

Scooby01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Woohoo vape mail arrived from mama J's and ecx. Mixed up a couple bottles of premix of HIC's sugary almond Apple tart and heart of Andes. (I'll do a review on the recipe threads). For those of you thinking about DIY mixing, do it. Way easier than I thought it would be. After I dug the flavors out of the bag and made sure I had everything, it took about 10 mins to get the my first flavor batch made and ready to go.

VU Sponsors