Become a Patron!

Should ohmage go up when you fire up your mod?

This is a general question.

Should the ohmage meter on your mod go higher everytime you fire it or is it fine if it stays the same? I'm referring to both power mode and temp control.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If it does go up something is fucky somewhere.
Constant is the name of the game.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stainless Steel wire increases in resistance when heated. So if you have a SS coil in, then yes. But it goes back down when it cools.

If you aren't using SS, then yeah there is a problem. If you don't know if it is SS, its probably kanthal and you have an issue.

What tank and mod are you using?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends on the wire used. In general SS is pretty much the only wire that you would use for both because the change is small but still enough to use in TC with some mods. Nichrome and kanthal should stay the same and are for power use. Nickel and titanium change quite a bit and are for TC.

It actually is stainless steel. It's a notchcoil 0.25 on a cubis tank and an evic mini. It actually never went up. It actually dropped to 0.24 after a couple of uses. Opinions?

Last edited:

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It actually is stainless steel. It's a notchcoil 0.25 on a cubis tank and an evic mini. It actually never went up. It actually dropped to 0.24 after a couple of uses. Opinions?

A slight change either way (a few hundredths) is normal as a new coil settles in.

Some mods will display the live ohms as they rise in TC Mode but it's unusual for one to do so in Power Mode, at least I don't think I have one that does.

I just checked my VTC with a SS316 build.
Tough to try to catch a view of the screen... but it remained 0.63 in both TC and Power.

Some mods will rise and have the display "stick" after the draw, usually a click or three will force it to "resolve" back to the cold coil res stored in it's memory register.

Usually. :p

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
FYI
the ipv d2 and 3li
every time you press the fire button, it will reread the resistance in power mode and display current resistance
so it changes in power mode with an ss coil in power mode

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, thanks.

I haven't used my D2 in so long, I wasn't sure.
Remember the ruckus when it released last summer... it was one of the first to display "live ohms" in TC and a lot of folks were freaking out. :p

VU Sponsors