Become a Patron!

Should I worry about stainless steel coils?

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been spending weeks reading about different aspects of coil and its safety. So far I'm using Kanthal/Clapton as I've heard its safer.

I'm using Vaporesso pre-made coils which I like but I want to move on to others. The problem is most of the pre-made coils are stainless steel 316. So far all I have read has to do with people making their own coils and worrying about breaking some oxide layer which would release the chemicals.

Is there any place that mentions pre-made coils and just the overall safety of inhaling vapors via heated stainless steel? I don't know if I should care about some of the details as obviously dry burning doesn't apply in this case.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I use only 316 SS - you are likely reading debates about 304 SS and corrosion, which is not likely to apply to premade coils, which also use 316

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I use only 316 SS - you are likely reading debates about 304 SS and corrosion, which is not likely to apply to premade coils, which also use 316
+1
Personally, I prefer 316L wire for my coils though. However, there's no evidence of "oxidized" SS coils, as far as I know. An "oxidized" coil would look like having rust on the surface, like iron usually does, but SS was designed, in order to resist rusting/oxidizing. In addition, SS is utilized a lot (including medicinal), due to it's resistance for oxidization.
I'd rather worry about Ni (Nickel) wire, and it's companions, NiCrome wire for example, which is used by many Vapors. IMHO, it's not the safest wire to use, but it's up to everyone to use, what they feel like! Do your research, and form your own opinion!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd rather worry about Ni (Nickel) wire, and it's companions, NiCrome wire for example, which is used by many Vapors. IMHO, it's not the safest wire to use, but it's up to everyone to use, what they feel like! Do your research, and form your own opinion!

+2.5 :)

I will also offer a third advocating opinion for using 316 Stainless Steel. As Far As I Know, it is probably about as safe a wire to use as any. Not using it presently due to missing getting it on last shopping binge. Will get some once funds accrue. Also use NiChrome 80 and Kanthal A1, both do well. Agree with @Neunerball too, research and draw up your own view. Will also add something a man called Ronnie used to say, "trust but verify." That old Ronnie, he was a card. :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
+2.5 :)

I will also offer a third advocating opinion for using 316 Stainless Steel. As Far As I Know, it is probably about as safe a wire to use as any. Not using it presently due to missing getting it on last shopping binge. Will get some once funds accrue. Also use NiChrome 80 and Kanthal A1, both do well. Agree with @Neunerball too, research and draw up your own view. Will also add something a man called Ronnie used to say, "trust but verify." That old Ronnie, he was a card. :)
I've tried NICrome 80 myself, including many other wires! However, I never had less of a metallic flavor, other than using 316L wire.

VU Sponsors