Become a Patron!

Shortness of Breath (SOB) from Vaping

Hello everyone, long time lurker. I have unfortunately had a very bad experience with vaping and I just wanted to share with everyone and see if anyone had anything similar happen to them.

I have seen many posts on here that have talked about SOB but all responses chalked it up to either Nic or, PG/VG levels too high/allergic to them. I was vaping for over a year when I had my first bout with SOB. I was running a Smok alien with a TFV12-T8 at around 165w. Now I was using this for a while when all of a sudden I started to have SOB. Nothing too terrible but it was enough for me to quite for a while.

After about 4 months off of it I decided to pick it up again so I bought a little Smok V8 pen vape. No problems what so ever. I ended up dropping the V8 and damaging it so I bought the mini alien, loaded it up, and took a hit. Instantly had the SOB feeling except much worse. I feel as though I can't take a full yawn, like they aren't satisfying my need to yawn. In order to take a full breath I have to really force it. It has been almost 2 weeks and it seems to be getting a little better but I am definitely not 100%.

I have not made an appointment yet to see a doc, I have a few personal matters to attend to and if it is not resolved by then (about a week from now) I will make the appointment. I should mention that both times I was using silver back lola 3 nic.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had something similar to this happen to them and if their docs found anything. It sucks too because I really did enjoy vaping.

I did. I wasnt looking for anyone to solve my problem. I was looking to talk to someone who may have had a similar experience.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Hmmmmm and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

Now I don't think Inspects is a Doctor and doesn't play one on the Internet but I have a feeling the Doctor will tell you the same thing he told you. From your post you seem to have Diagnosed the problem yourself. Good Luck

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You might try switching to a less thick juice, say 50/50 for a little while...some folks find high vg juice clog/coat their lungs too much. That would probably involve switching to an rdta, an rda or certain rta's. 50/50, 60/40 are more difficult to find ready made nowadays, but you still can find them, usually smaller juice co's. When I diy I usually mix at 60/40 vg/pg, gives me enough cloudage and good flavor.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cloud chasing at 165watts can't be good for lung capacity. Think of how big your clouds are compared to the size of your lungs. When I use my clouds bro rtas I get a tightness in my chest by the end of the day. Just one for the books I guess. I don't have that issue unless I blow clouds all day. So I stick to smaller tanks and builds to avoid it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I feel as though I can't take a full yawn, like they aren't satisfying my need to yawn. In order to take a full breath I have to really force it. It

I had this exact thing happening to me, but I didn't have the option of quitting vaping. I'm an old lady and a hardcore smoker since I was 16, so it was vape or smoke. I had been vaping about 80% VG so I lowered it to 50% last summer and for the past year I haven't had even one instance of that shortness of breath issue. Of course, I'm also only vaping a single .40 coil at 35 watts, too. But I was using the same setup before, when I was having trouble with gasping. For me it was the VG level being too high.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had this exact thing happening to me, but I didn't have the option of quitting vaping. I'm an old lady and a hardcore smoker since I was 16, so it was vape or smoke. I had been vaping about 80% VG so I lowered it to 50% last summer and for the past year I haven't had even one instance of that shortness of breath issue. Of course, I'm also only vaping a single .40 coil at 35 watts, too. But I was using the same setup before, when I was having trouble with gasping. For me it was the VG level being too high.
Yep same here with VG over 60%. I vape 50/50.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cloud chasing at 165watts can't be good for lung capacity. Think of how big your clouds are compared to the size of your lungs. When I use my clouds bro rtas I get a tightness in my chest by the end of the day. Just one for the books I guess. I don't have that issue unless I blow clouds all day. So I stick to smaller tanks and builds to avoid it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Very well said!

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I vape 80/20 .40 ohm at 25 watts, single coil. I do, from time to time, vape the same, but at .20 ohms, 60 watts using a different tank. I may need to cut it back to 60/40, or maybe 50/50. I do breathe better at less VG, so all of this just makes too much sense.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I’m the opposite and can’t use to much PG or it plays havoc with my throat and chest ...found 75/25 (VG/PG) best mix for me (which is outside of retail percentages) granted I don’t really use mtl or pods so never tried changing it on that, also never vape at such high wattages either

thing to take from this ...everyone is different and takes time to dial it in

Edit: sorry forgot to mention what Wtmke1 said is spot on... I rotate so don’t use crazy cloud producing vapes for too long if I use more than 15ml in a day I’ll notice it

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m the opposite and can’t use to much PG or it plays havoc with my throat and chest ...found 75/25 (VG/PG) best mix for me (which is outside of retail percentages) granted I don’t really use mtl or pods so never tried changing it on that, also never vape at such high wattages either

thing to take from this ...everyone is different and takes time to dial it in

Edit: sorry forgot to mention what Wtmke1 said is spot on... I rotate so don’t use crazy cloud producing vapes for too long if I use more than 15ml in a day I’ll notice it
I go thru about 120 ml per week. at around 2mg/ml nic 50/50
And vape at between 16 and 35 watts.
Around 35 watts on my Pico Squeeze and Wasp Nano and 24-25 watts on my Merlin RTA and 16 watts on my Subtank mini/RBA on top of a Kanger Kbox Mini.
Those are my vaping setups for quite a while now.

VU Sponsors