Become a Patron!

Severely muted flavor

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I got one of my new Recurve mods all set up. Using one of my Pixie RDAs. Brand new fully charged battery. I'm using the same coil as I was using on it as a dripper. Which is essentially a brand new coil. I notice the flavor is extremely muted when squonking on the Recurve. The flavor when dripping was great.

What am I doing wrong?

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wicking?

with a dripper you drip right on the coil.
With squonking you depend on the wicking to get juice to the coil.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did the wicking exactly like it was when I was dripping. That was my first thought too. But why would it work one way and not the other?

Tap'd from my iPhone XR
revisit my post. I edited in some after you quoted.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm thinking maybe the cotton might be a little too tight in the coil. I was using cotton pads as a dripper. This build I used Wotofo shoestring cotton. While it says 3mm it was pretty snug in the coil. I have a Recurve RDA waiting at the PO. I think I might take a piece of this shoestring cotton and trim a little off the top to make it a little more loose and try it in the Recurve.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wick mine with the ends of the wick just touching the bottom of the juice reservoir.

On thinking about it the first hit from a dripped atty will likely be more flavorful than from a coil wicked from the reservoir (squonkiing) since more juice will be on the coil. Esp with claptons, aliens, etc type of coils since they soak up juice.
Probably not as much difference with round wire coils which is what I use.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking maybe the cotton might be a little too tight in the coil. I was using cotton pads as a dripper. This build I used Wotofo shoestring cotton. While it says 3mm it was pretty snug in the coil. I have a Recurve RDA waiting at the PO. I think I might take a piece of this shoestring cotton and trim a little off the top to make it a little more loose and try it in the Recurve.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR
Yep play around with the wicking and see what changes.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
btw I use cotton Bacon V2 or prime.

I like the shoestring cotton because in all honesty I suck at getting the right consistency with cotton bacon or any other bulk cotton. That is why I always used the kjd style pads.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just my opinion but to me the pads do not wick as well as the bulk style cotton.
btw my coils are either 2.5 or 3mm id.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just pulled the wick and tried a trimmed piece with the legs cut a little shorter. Better but still not there. I'm wondering if these damn fancy coils aren't all they are cracked up to be. I seem to get better flavor off of a basic clapton than this framed staple clapton.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For my squonkiing I found that I like parallel roundwire coils best.
I use 26 ga SS316L 3mm id 10 wrap parallel coils. works out to around .35 ohms.
I like them on an unregulated or around 25-30 watts on a regulated.
Good cloudage and flavor to me.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For my squonkiing I found that I like parallel roundwire coils best.
I use 26 ga SS316L 3mm id 10 wrap parallel coils. works out to around .35 ohms.
I like them on an unregulated or around 25-30 watts on a regulated.
Good cloudage and flavor to me.

I gave up on wrapping my own coils. Bad wrists and sausage fingers are a hindrance. I may try one of the dual core fused claptons that I bought to see if it's any better than the framed staple.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I have the bad wrists too.
I just pick a 'good day' and wrap several.

Will likely have to get a bid lighted magnifier ofn a boom thing in the not too distant future too.
Having trouble reading resistor codes and such.

sucks getting old but so far for me it beats the only alternative.

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a plain round 3mm 26 gauge 8 wrap ss316L in my pixie and get great flavor at 23 watts squonking.

Rex EvErything

Member For 1 Year
the recurve mod is unregulated so if you are using a big multi wire clapton it not gonna have enough ooomph to heat up the cool in an efficient manner. try a less complicated coil....in SS or Ni80 or 90 something that heats up/cools down quickly. also if using claptons the smaller the wrap wire the better....a Ni90 2x28 wrapped in 40 5 wraps 2.5 mm will be right around 0.23 and jump up quick

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the recurve mod is unregulated so if you are using a big multi wire clapton it not gonna have enough ooomph to heat up the cool in an efficient manner. try a less complicated coil....in SS or Ni80 or 90 something that heats up/cools down quickly. also if using claptons the smaller the wrap wire the better....a Ni90 2x28 wrapped in 40 5 wraps 2.5 mm will be right around 0.23 and jump up quick

All of the coils I have been using are Ni80. The dual coil fused claptons are 28x2/38 7 wraps 3mm. And the framed staples are some sort of combination I can't interpret. LOL I am thinking about picking up a small spool of 24g Ni80 and SS 316L and giving some basic coils a shot. I'll save the fancy coils for regular dripping on power and when I eventually get a vw squonk mod.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Exactly this!

You can use a Clapton, plain round wire, or a staged heating coil on that Recurve mod, but anything beyond that will be a struggle. The mass of the metal in the coil becomes really important.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Exactly this!

You can use a Clapton, plain round wire, or a staged heating coil on that Recurve mod, but anything beyond that will be a struggle. The mass of the metal in the coil becomes really important.

So as far as single wire. What is the largest gauge I should go with. And with claptons the largest core? I like my coils at 3mm with anywhere to 5-8 wraps depending on the final length of the coil for the attys I use.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So as far as single wire. What is the largest gauge I should go with. And with claptons the largest core? I like my coils at 3mm with anywhere to 5-8 wraps depending on the final length of the coil for the attys I use.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

Yes, I agree. 24 ga round wire, or 28x2/38 Claptons.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wouldn't go beyond six wraps with 24 round n80. That's roughly 0.44 ohms for a 3mm ID coil. Once you get above half an ohm, ramp-up time begins to suffer.

If you need a little longer coil, you can always space your wraps a little bit.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wouldn't go beyond six wraps with 24 round n80. That's roughly 0.44 ohms for a 3mm ID coil. Once you get above half an ohm, ramp-up time begins to suffer.

If you need a little longer coil, you can always space your wraps a little bit.

What about with ss. Would I be good to go a few more wraps? I'd still be under the .5Ω range actually below .4Ω. But of course the mass of the coil would go up.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
What about with ss. Would I be good to go a few more wraps? I'd still be under the .5Ω range actually below .4Ω. But of course the mass of the coil would go up.

Tap'd from my iPhone XR

Well for sure there's no harm in trying it. It's a trial-and-error kinda thing anyway, really. With mechanicals, just remember that the vape you get with a fully charged battery won't be the same vape you'll get when the battery is halfway charged. If a coil pushes the limits of your device and battery when the batt is fully charged, it will perform even worse later on. :)

I tried something new (for me) last night, made a 24ga parallel coil out of n80, 3.5mm, four wraps. Came out to 0.18 ohms, and I figured it would be a slow ramper. Well, no. Not at all. When you have a chance you may want to try one. Not four wraps, though, too dang hot. Next time I'll go with at least five wraps. It gets hot quickly, though. I was surprised. I think having two legs of the coil directly exposed to the power coming from the battery makes a big difference in how the coil performs. It works especially well in this O-atty because it's a clamp style, so I can put one leg on each side of the screws, underneath the clamp, and the wires are equally exposed to power.

Learn something new every day!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The lower the Ω the harder it will hit right? Maybe you need to try different builds at varying Ω levels until you know what your target is.

VU Sponsors