Become a Patron!

Setup Question

Hello All,

Just found this forum and its been a great find, tons of information and looks like a great community of folks willing to help. Thanks for the great resource!

What I am in need of today is a little reinsurance of the setup I have configured before I make the purchase this Friday. Like most I am looking for great clouds and awesome flavor for a good price. Being that I am still pretty new to the DIY stuff I am also looking for something that will be easy to use, and not involve a lot of tinkering at this point. My current setup is a smok zmax mini with a aspire nautilus tank.

For the mod planning on pick up will be a smok xpro m80. The price point seems very nice, it appears well built and I have had good luck with my current smok unit. I have read that some folks were having issues with the temp control function but at this point that doesn't seem like it will be a big concern for me.

For the tank I have gone back and forth, and this is were I might need some further direction. At this point I am looking at the horizon Arctic tank. I have seen great reviews for it, but my only concern is the tank size and having to fill a lot more.

Please let me know if you seen any concerns with this setup or things to be worried about or if there is something better for roughly the same price. I am looking to spend around $100 for the mod and tank combined. Thanks for any help or suggestions, I have been back and forth on a bunch of different setups but this one seems to hit most of what I am looking for.

Cliff Notes:
Wanting to buy something new
Looking to spend about $100 for Mod and Tank
Good Buy? or Suggestions?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, welcome to the Underground!

There is nothing wrong with the gear you have picked out but I will offer you a couple of options.

And if you are not stuck on the temp control option I have a couple of suggestions for you.

The IPV 2 Mini is a very nice 70 watt mod with an internal charger. And a user replaceable battery. Mod about $70 and battery is under $10.

If 30 watts will do for you, I love my Sigelei 30 watt mod. Internal charger for less than $40 and still $10 for the battery.

The Smok is what I call a "Rent-A-Mod". When the battery dies, and it will, you chuck the whole thing in the trash.

Call me a prick if you like but I kinda think that is a bit wasteful.

I will let the other members of the VU peanut gallery guide you as far as tanks go as I am a dedicated RBA guy:D

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had good luck with Smok products, though others haven't. I've seen the M80 as cheap as $40, which seems like a great deal to me - even though @UncleRJ has a point about the disposable nature of fixed-battery mods. Keep in mind you'd need at least 2 18650s to replace the 4400 mah that's in the Smok unit...and even with onboard charging an option I'd still recommend a good dedicated charger at some point in the future, even if not right now, should you go the replaceable route.

I've also got an Acrtic tank and like it quite a bit, though I find it really only needs about 35 watts to perform optimally for me. It currently resides atop my iStick 50, though I can no longer recommend this particular mod after owning one for a week or so. There are a lot of options for sub-tanks, I'd suggest checking out the Subtank Wars thread on here for more info and comparisons of the most popular one - the Arctic seemed like the killer tank to have a few weeks ago when I bought it, but there are now others like the Herakles and High Voltage that people who own both claim are even better.

Juice consumption is going to be high, but that's just a fact of life for sub-ohm - I drip at night and only use tanks during the day, but I still go through 2-3 of them depending on use...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Like @OBDave said, there is nothing better than a dedicated charger especially when you read the reports of many devices that have an onboard charger catching fire.

Thankfully that is a rather rare thing except for a few devices that are known for it. That being said, I do have a couple of devices with an onboard charger and the first few times I charged them via the USB cable I took certain precautions like placing the device inside a large steel cooking pot with lid and had that on top of a couple of bricks (hey, I admit I am paranoid about charging batteries) while I was in attendance and was able to keep an eye on things. After a several charges like this, now I feel I can trust the charge function at night while I am sleeping but the devices are also in my "Charging Bowl" just in case.

But if money is an issue and the extra $20 to $40 dollars for a separate charger is an issue, a device with a built in USB charger is doable

That being said, I have three APV's with that function and that I do charge with the built in charger. My Sigelei Mini 30 Watt, my Dovpo E-Mech and my eVic and my Dovpo E-LVT.

Results may vary and find a large pot to test yours.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@NotoriousVapeIA ....Hello and Welcome to VU first of all! :)

Having a Zmax mini I have to ask if you have the extension tube or not and what kind of batteries are you using and what are you charging you with? If you've got a good intelligent charger then you might even be better off going for something with replaceable batteries. I don't own an Xpro 80 nor have I had a chance to get my hands on one and play with it so I cannot speak towards it either way...I've read some good things about it and I've read some bad...same with every other mod ever made and used by vapors :) Smok is kinda like the KIA or the Hyundai of the vaping world in my opinion....for those who want more features on a budget and there's nothing wrong with that...and it seems the reputation is comparably the same. I've had Smok products in the past....probably the most common things I had and used from them were their carto's and their carto tanks, again because they were affordable....loved their carto tank for the price, hated their cartomizers. Bought a couple Aero pyrex thanks because my Gogo tank bases would fit on them and they were solid tanks, but even with their stock bases if they got below half full the tanks would flood and leak. And again, their stock coils were horrible, but a kanger coil in them worked great. So I'd imagine if you like your Zmax you'll like the Xpro as they're consistent in what they do good and what they don't....if they did a good device before I am assuming they're doing a good one for the price again :)

As for the Arctic Tank...I really like them very much. I just wish they would hurry up and come out with replacement glass for them so be careful with it because right now the only replacement parts for it are the coils. In regards to juice usage....Any sub ohm tank you use is going to burn threw a lot of juice. That is just the way it is...even the Kanger Subtanks with their 1.2 ohm coils go threw more juice than my Nautilus tanks do. You've got a much bigger coil that requires more power and puts out a great deal more vapor so you're going to use up more juice in the process...the only way to use less juice is to use a non sub ohm tank with a smaller coil like you are now. But I think the Arctic tank actually has really great flavor at high wattage. I only turned it up to 65 watts because that's almost too warm for me but it kept it's flavor quite nice and I was pleasantly surprised and recommend it to anyone looking for a tank with .2 ohm coils. But if you're not sure if it's the one for you there is nothing quite like having something in your hands...I would watch as many reviews on all the sub ohm tanks you can and in addition to do so, if you have one in your area, I would go to a brick and mortar vape shop and take a look at them in person. If you want to buy online because you're on a budget I understand but I believe in supporting GOOD local vape shops....they serve an important role in the vape community and if the staff is knowledgeable and competent and friendly and helpful when I have the extra cash I drop a few dimes at them when I can. Like I said, as great as the internet is, sometimes there is no replacement for holding something in your hand....and maybe if they have a sampling bar you can find a new flavor of juice to load up your arctic tank, or whatever tank you choose to go with, up with when you get it :)

I know I am quite wordy but one final thought...if you're not big on the whole temp limiting thing I would also look at something like the Sig 100plus or 150 while you're there...like I said, if you've already got a good charger for batteries then it might be something to consider. You might drop a couple of extra bucks but then you'd have the extra watts. You would get a longer battery life with the built in lipo pack of the Xpro 80 but with replaceable batteries you have as much of a power supply as batteries you can carry so it's a toss up...plus with replaceable batteries you don't have to worry about the battery pack going bad which will eventually happen. I love my little Vaporshark DNA30 but I've had to send it back twice for a new battery to be put in. Just my two cents and a nickel extra for thought. Good luck and either way I think you'll walk away happy :)

Thank you everyone for the kind replies.

I was also a touch worried about the "rent a mod" style, and with this mod being so new I am sure there isn't much data on how long these batteries will last. Something for sure to think about before proceeding with my purchase.

I do currently have a charger that I use for my zmax but from some of the reviews I have seen, it may not be a decent one. I currently have trust fire charger and run a 3.7v 800mahn imr 18350. This was the power setup that the local brick and mortar suggested at the time, and being that I was so new to the vape world I didn't do any research. Something I am currently trying to correct with my next purchase. My zmax at this time does not have an extension tube.

I have seen some of the local shops here in town have some of the istick and Sigelei products, I think I will go and see if I can check them out before my planned buy. I am completely open to other products that I don't have experience with since when I purchased my current unit, I shot the fish in the barrel and needed up with something that has last awhile and has curbed my smoking of cigarettes. Anything is better then going back to tobacco lol.

@madmonkey completely agree with the support of local shops. Some of my other hobbies are car audio and coral fish tanks, and support of those local shops is very importation to me, and i can see transposing that value to my local vape shop as well. May cost a touch more but in the end supporting the local community is important.

Again thank you everyone for your replies, they have been great! Has me thinking more about my next purchase and that's what I needed, please keep the ideas coming :cool:

Just a little update, I picked up the xpro m80 plus and the Arctic tank. So far I completely love it! Hits so much better, smoother, and a lot more output then my zmax. I bought these from the local vape shop, but I also have ordered a K-box to try out as well that is being shipped out as of today. I picked a k-box up mainly because the price was way to good to pass up on, and it will be nice to have another mod to play with and compare too. One can not have to many toys too :cool:

Attached are a couple of pictures of the new setup as well as my old zmax.

Just another quick question on juice. I have really taken a liking to this company called tasty cloud. Currently I am switching between there skyline and dragonaire lines, does anyone have any suggestions on similar flavors as these? I mainly stick to vanilla type flavors but now that I have the new mod and tank I wanted to see if anyone had some other vanilla types flavors to try out.

Again thank you everyone for your input, it truly has helped a ton!

Happy vaping:cool:

Attachments

• v1.JPG
    v1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
  • v2.JPG
    v2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 14
  • v3.JPG
    v3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 13

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude try twelve taurus i love that one im trying to clone it right now because 22$every 2 to 3 days cost the #$#$/$ out of me lol

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just a little update, I picked up the xpro m80 plus and the Arctic tank. So far I completely love it! Hits so much better, smoother, and a lot more output then my zmax. I bought these from the local vape shop, but I also have ordered a K-box to try out as well that is being shipped out as of today. I picked a k-box up mainly because the price was way to good to pass up on, and it will be nice to have another mod to play with and compare too. One can not have to many toys too :cool:

Attached are a couple of pictures of the new setup as well as my old zmax.

Just another quick question on juice. I have really taken a liking to this company called tasty cloud. Currently I am switching between there skyline and dragonaire lines, does anyone have any suggestions on similar flavors as these? I mainly stick to vanilla type flavors but now that I have the new mod and tank I wanted to see if anyone had some other vanilla types flavors to try out.

Again thank you everyone for your input, it truly has helped a ton!

Happy vaping:cool:

Frenilla by Nicoticket is my favorite vanilla by heaps, leaps, and bounds...it's not a custard (although their Custard's Last Stand is pretty damn good as well,) but it is simply one of the deepest, richest vanilla's I've treid. I've tried to imitate it with my DIY with several different flavors and can't seem to get it strong enough or the profile quite right. They make their own vanilla and it's a one off for sure. I've tried Vanilla's and Custards from several different little vape shops and a few big name juice companies, it's one of the few flavors I buy instead of make and I always have some Frenilla on hand. It's 32 bucks for 60ml so it's not the cheapest but I make it last...if vanilla you seek, I can't recommend this one enough. And it's high wattage friendly..,it's pretty hard to scortch the flavor out of it at high watts. You won't be disappointed :)

Congrats on the new setup...I love the Arctic Tank. Hope you enjoy the Kbox as well, it's a good little daily driver box and around town mod. Happy Vaping!

Thanks guys I will for sure be adding these into my list of stuff to pick up! With how fast this m80 goes though juice I will be be picking up a big supply on payday lol.

VU Sponsors