Become a Patron!

Serpent rdta single coil build

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
I just got my serpent rdta a week ago
But till now i cant enjoy this tank
I tried 3mm 6 wraps alien wire coil ...it was good but the coil was too big that the black drip tip that comes with the tank kind of melted ...the coil was touching it or was too close from it.
So i removed that coil and built 2mm 8 wraps alien coil ...it was ok but didnt give much flavour and clouds.
What build do u guys think is the best for serpent rdta for flavour chasing ?
I have kanthal and alien wire right now.
Waiting for ur suggestions ...

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What Ω reading was the 6wrap 3mm Alien?
What wattage are you running this at?

Just guessing as specs, but if your alien coil was done in a 28g x3 core, with a 32g KA1 wrap, this would have been approx a .52Ω coil... again, guessing.
A 26g x3 core, with 32g KA1 wrap would be approx .34Ω

Either one of those I would have been running between 40-60W, for my vaping style.

By the looks of this deck, you should be able to run 3mm Alien without issue, sitting low on the deck.

12__2_1.jpg

If your coil was sitting to high on the deck, I could see where the heat, if running extreme wattage, would possibly get the drip tip to hot.

14__2_1.jpg

I don't have this atty, so I personally do not have experience with it. Just going by pictures and what I would do if I had this atty.

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
What Ω reading was the 6wrap 3mm Alien?
What wattage are you running this at?

Just guessing as specs, but if your alien coil was done in a 28g x3 core, with a 32g KA1 wrap, this would have been approx a .52Ω coil... again, guessing.
A 26g x3 core, with 32g KA1 wrap would be approx .34Ω

Either one of those I would have been running between 40-60W, for my vaping style.

By the looks of this deck, you should be able to run 3mm Alien without issue, sitting low on the deck.

12__2_1.jpg

If your coil was sitting to high on the deck, I could see where the heat, if running extreme wattage, would possibly get the drip tip to hot.

14__2_1.jpg

I don't have this atty, so I personally do not have experience with it. Just going by pictures and what I would do if I had this atty.
The 3mm was 0.7 ohms
The 2mm was o.5 ohms
I fired both at 45 watts
The problem is that with 3mm i couldnt fire at 45 and be comfortable with it as it was too hot and at lower wattage i couldnt get enough flavour out of it.
While i was installing the 2mm coil i didnt have issues with the drip tip being hot but the flavour wasnt enough

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 3mm was 0.7 ohms
The 2mm was o.5 ohms
I fired both at 45 watts
The problem is that with 3mm i couldnt fire at 45 and be comfortable with it as it was too hot and at lower wattage i couldnt get enough flavour out of it.
While i was installing the 2mm coil i didnt have issues with the drip tip being hot but the flavour wasnt enough
Okay i know this is gonna sound dirty, but u might wanna suck a little harder to get more air into the rda to cool it down.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Okay i know this is gonna sound dirty, but u might wanna suck a little harder to get more air into the rda to cool it down.
Agreed...

This style atty isn't for toodle puffers. You gotta really give it some good air movement. No MTL with this one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which kanthal guage u guys think will give the best flavour for this single coil rdta ?
IMO, I would go with a Clapton or a Fused Clapton coil. However I would move away from KA1 and go to Ni80 or SS316L. They have a faster ramp up time and cool down time over KA1.

Clapton -- 26g/36g wrap @ 3mm ID
Fused Clapton -- 28g/38g wrap @ 3mm ID

If sticking with Kanthal wire
-- A Clapton (as spec'd above) would come out to about .9Ω with 5 wraps or 1.04Ω with 6 wraps
-- A Fused Clapton as above, this would come out to about .78Ω with 6 wraps

Steam-Engine.com is your friend. You can "build" out any type of coil idea well before you ever wrap it up.
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got mine yesterday. So far I'm getting pretty good flavor from the stock coils. Waiting for any other feedback on good builds for this thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also got the avocado special edition and I just finished putting my first build on it. 28 x 2 twisted fused clapton wrapped with 32. All SSL 216. 5 wrap 3mm .44 ohms... First impression is that the serpent is better. So far.

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
Also got the avocado special edition and I just finished putting my first build on it. 28 x 2 twisted fused clapton wrapped with 32. All SSL 216. 5 wrap 3mm .44 ohms... First impression is that the serpent is better. So far.

I have the avocado and i can tell that i am far comfortable using it than the serpent
Serpent is good tho...but i liked the avocado more

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the avocado and i can tell that i am far comfortable using it than the serpent
Serpent is good tho...but i liked the avocado more
I think I put too much wick in it. Will try a 2.5 mm of the same build later. Wick holes are small.

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
I think I put too much wick in it. Will try a 2.5 mm of the same build later. Wick holes are small.

I am installing dual alien 5 wraps 3mm coils and its firing good
Add just enought cotton to fill the coil ....not too much...and dont make the cotton appear from the tank glass...cut it shorter

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted fused claptons doesn't seem to hold properly in the clamps. Can you crimp it flatter so it holds better without messing up the coil?

Can you do it even on SS claptons and do temp control on it?

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try crimping it if it works fine. If not no loss it puts out the same flavor as reg wire other than the first time u use it after it sits fir while. For better flavor space your coils.

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
Try crimping it if it works fine. If not no loss it puts out the same flavor as reg wire other than the first time u use it after it sits fir while. For better flavor space your coils.
Talking alien or fused claptons not kanthal,which is better,spaced or not?

antikryst

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just placed a 5 wrap twisted 26 g spaced SS316L coil running it on temp control on a therion 166 at 450 f. Flavor is there but still just ok for me. I really think I have vapers tongue that just won't go away since I started fully vaping about 2 something months ago and quit cigarettes. Frustrating.

VU Sponsors