Become a Patron!

Serious Question

I have been vaping for a little over a year now. I love vaping, and I really want to continue, but my friend recently brought to my attention that there have been several incidents of mods exploding while being used. I've seen videos of people put in comas because of the explosion while its in their mouth. My question/s are;
What is the cause of this?
Is there anyway to be 100% sure this is not going to happen?

I'm currently using a
Sigelei 150w TC
Herakles Tank by Sense
2 18650 Sony VCT4

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Serious answer. Many of the horror stories we read about are due to LACK of battery safety and limits. People get all excited about big clouds and try to push limits without considering what goes into the smart side of it.

The info is readily available for everyone. Some just don't care enough to learn about it.

Others will be along quite soon, I'm sure to give you the basics and particulars. I haven't used that gear, myself.

Stay tuned, stay informed. Welcome to the forum.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's usually from people using Mech Mods with Hybrid Tops with RDAs/Tanks without protruding Positive Pins, or with Builds Too Low for their Batteries. There are very few incidents with regulated box mods and tanks.

Most of the incidents you hear of about vapes is actually from the Ego style pens, mainly because the Ego chargers are the shawdyest chargers of life.

As for 100% safe, there's no such thing. Anything with electronics or batteries are inherently going to run into issues from time to time, all it takes is one loose wire, or a malfunctioning chip to cause problems. That being said, your setup is perfectly fine, a rather common setup actually. Quality Mod, Quality Tank, and Quality Batteries (assuming all are authentic).

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're using a regulated mod. The chips in those are programmed to either alert you of a problem or just shut down if there's a problem. Battery safety is a must with any vaping device, even eGo batteries can vent. But compared to an unregulated tube mod, you're at least 99% safer as long as you're aware of battery safety and limits.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have very little to worry about as long as you treat your batteries properly.

Even cell phone and laptop batteries explode.
But you rarely hear about these since vaping is the big thing now so reports about vaping gain more ratings and thus more money for the publisher.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure you "marry" your batteries. I even went as far as to take a sharpy and label mine in pairs. Always use them together, they should always be charged together and used together. This way they wear down at the same rate. Having one being more drained than the other can be bad. But then also just overall lifetime, over time batteries become less efficient, they lose their charge quickly and such, keeping two batteries married keeps them at the same age.

With that always use identical batteries, you say you're using VTC4's well you can't really beat that for power output, as I understand it those are one of the few 30amp rated batteries (though there seems to always be a ton of debate about actual performance of things), Stick to those if you need the higher amperage, and Samsung 25r or LG HG2 for longer life. Stay clear of companies like Efest or anything other than Samsung, LG and Sony. The companies like Efest simply buy batteries from those 3 companies and rewrap them to market themselves. The true ones cost the same or even cheaper so why bother with the others where you don't really know what you're getting?

Keep an eye on the heat of your batteries/mod. Notice something weird, STOP. Your regulated mod has a bunch of protection built in to prevent issues, but they aren't foolproof, if you notice something stop and investigate.

A lot of the blowing vapes were from overcharging and forgetting with bad batteries/chargers... basically negligent stupidity. Or on Mechs where the button is held down for a long time (not an issue with regulated mods with their 10-15s cutoffs usually)... again though negligent stupidity. Just some basic common sense and attention to detail and it shouldn't be any more risk than stepping outside your house.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I label my batteries in pairs with a sharpie also.
I also date them with the month and year like "01/16" so when it's 01/17 I know they need to be replaces soon.
I have batteries that are older but I will step them down to a lower power mod like a DNA 40.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TreeStand - with that setup you're in good shape. Far and away the vast majority of these "exploding e-cig" stories are traced to either users of mechanical mods (which have no safety functions) doing something stupid with a questionable battery or to low quality eGo-type stick batteries being charged on a USB charger that's delivering too much power to the cell.

From the gear you've mentioned, you look to be fairly safe. The one thing you didn't mention is your charger, which is potentially your only weak point that I can see if it's not a trusted brand - the most important thing to remember is not to skimp when it comes to batteries and chargers, and not to build beyond your knowledge base - since you're using factory-built coils rather than building your own you're also safe in the latter respect.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello @Huckleberried . ;)

The venting and exploding come from 2 things.
1 Shitty batteries. Buying some rewrapped junk that does NOT have the amp capabilities you are using it at. You can't run a 20 amp continuous drain on a 10 amp battery. Some batteries are advertised with the pulse rating. Unfortunately they don't mention the duration of the pulse time in most cases. It may be as short as a half second. I make 5-7 second pulls when I vape..... That can cause a catastrophic failure.

2 Using a battery at max limits or above. People seeking clouds with mechs tend to push the limits of batteries. Super low sub ohm builds that run at or over the amp limits. Naturally as a battery ages and is used, it gets weak. When pushing it over the limit, you are now using a stick of dynamite, literally.

Last edited:

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Battery dammage has to be # 1 cause of venting . Batterys dont bend without there being bad things happening.
You wouldn't want to damage your Mod now , would you . ;)

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is definitely a super cereal question. Pay close attention to the advice you get here and you will be ok.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone's advice is spot on. Stick with regulated mods. Frankly with today's high power regulated mods I really don't see the point in mechanical. If you do want to use mechanical, and make your own builds follow the advice given about quality batteries and doing your math to make sure you're not overloading them. Also, if you go the mechanical route make sure that your mod is vented. There was a recent article in Florida about an exploding "ecig" and it was a mechanical tube mod that from what I could tell from the pics was a home-brew non-vented deal. That setup takes a battery failure and turns it into a pipe bomb.

Frankly, I'm beyond surprised on how this sneaks up on people. The batteries don't just magically go "boom". There's lots of venting and leaking before they cascade out into a full on explosion. I've done it myself on purpose with a crappy trust fire. I dead shorted it and it took well over 5 minutes to go boom. And the last 3 minutes were lots of venting and heat (the latter is an assumption as I was no where near it to touch it).

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Everyone's advice is spot on. Stick with regulated mods. Frankly with today's high power regulated mods I really don't see the point in mechanical. If you do want to use mechanical, and make your own builds follow the advice given about quality batteries and doing your math to make sure you're not overloading them. Also, if you go the mechanical route make sure that your mod is vented. There was a recent article in Florida about an exploding "ecig" and it was a mechanical tube mod that from what I could tell from the pics was a home-brew non-vented deal. That setup takes a battery failure and turns it into a pipe bomb.

Frankly, I'm beyond surprised on how this sneaks up on people. The batteries don't just magically go "boom". There's lots of venting and leaking before they cascade out into a full on explosion. I've done it myself on purpose with a crappy trust fire. I dead shorted it and it took well over 5 minutes to go boom. And the last 3 minutes were lots of venting and heat (the latter is an assumption as I was no where near it to touch it).
I never could understand that either.
I remembered seeing a YouTube vid where some dumb ass vented a kts storm with an iclear 30 on it in a mall food court.
A bunch of vapers complained about it so he made a follow up vid.
He said "the button and mod got really hot so I kept trying to fire it and...."
I figured out he was a total idiot after that second video

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been vaping for a little over a year now. I love vaping, and I really want to continue, but my friend recently brought to my attention that there have been several incidents of mods exploding while being used. I've seen videos of people put in comas because of the explosion while its in their mouth. My question/s are;
What is the cause of this?
Is there anyway to be 100% sure this is not going to happen?

I'm currently using a
Sigelei 150w TC
Herakles Tank by Sense
2 18650 Sony VCT4
100%, no. You can get a quality mod to reduce the chances of an explosion to almost 0%...

JLFROST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would like to believe that most of the devices used today have some way for the batteries to vent when they end up going so that way the gasses do not build up and create this "explosion" we all fear..

But then again....

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only real danger I know of with explosions is usually covered under the heading of (User Error*).The eGo fires that were happening a few years ago were all (User Error).And honestly anything smaller than an eGo isn't going to cause much if any damage.***

*Hybrid Topper on a Mechanical is at the top of the list*
Doing that is unsafe period...Nuff Said.

Just get yourself a regulated device and whatever decent tank you want to put on it and you'll be safe.If you want to use RDA's or RTA's there are plenty of people that can help you build safely here.

***Video included as proof.

VU Sponsors