Become a Patron!

Semi-mechs?

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So my idea of a true mech mod is where the power from the battery goes directly to the atomizer. Whether it be a direct contact of a hybrid, or wired with no other electronics in between. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

But what do you guys think about when a reviewer or company says that a certain device is a semi mechanical device? One that has certain built in protections, such as overcharge overdischarge overheating etc. Or one that won't fire if the resistance is to low. I'm looking at mods like the smoant rabox and ijoy maxo zenith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I don't have either of the rigs you are talking about, but I have a few mechs with mosfet protection and/or potentiators

I really like them over a regulated device, but not as much as "pure" mechs

The biggest problem is the industry itself has never really settled on the terminology

An affordable one I really like is the Tesla Invader III

Have a couple of them and they rock

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah... those are NOT mechanicals. They're not even, technically, unregulated.

Some examples...

Dimitri = Mechanical - there's nothing but conductive metal between the atomizer and the batteries.

Tesla Invader II = Unregulated (they call is a semi-mechanical) - although raw voltage is being dumped to the atomizer, it's being "checked" by a mosfet on the way. The Invader II has 3 mosfets to protect agains builds below 0.1 Ohms, to protect the switch from frying (too high an amperage), and to protect against revese battery installation.

Frankenskull = Mechanical

Dripbox and Pico Squeeze = unregulated

Able = mechanical

Colibri and Atto = unregulated

Zenith, Rabox, Cricket II, Invader III, Lotus LE89 all allow adjustments to the voltage in some way via circuitry.

So forth and so on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my idea of a true mech mod is where the power from the battery goes directly to the atomizer. Whether it be a direct contact of a hybrid, or wired with no other electronics in between. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

But what do you guys think about when a reviewer or company says that a certain device is a semi mechanical device? One that has certain built in protections, such as overcharge overdischarge overheating etc. Or one that won't fire if the resistance is to low. I'm looking at mods like the smoant rabox and ijoy maxo zenith.

First thing that comes to mind when I hear "semi mechanical device" is the Noisy Cricket II-25, which is decent enough for what it's supposed to be, but it's by no means what could be considered a Mech mod. I could be wrong but I see things a bit more black and white...as in there's not really such a thing as a semi mechanical device. That's more than likely just terminology used by companies to raise the eyebrows of Variable Device users that think it would be cool to own a Mech without the worry about the safety precautions they should take to use such devices. Nothing against those mods by any means...I have a Noisy Cricket II-25 and had its predecessor (which I do consider as a Mech mod), but to call a mod semi-Mech just seems like marketing to draw some folks over from their VV/VW to me...if there is any board or circuitry involved outside of a button mechanism that completes the circuit to fire the juice from battery to the atty, it's not a mech. But I'm by no means saying that what I'm saying is how it is...just one guy's humble opinion on the subject.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
The way I have always classified them is as follows

If no solder or wires are used in the construction then I call them Mechs.

If Solder and or wires are used but no way to adjust voltage or wattage then I call them Unregulated.

If an electronic part is installed which allows you to adjust wattage or voltage then I call them Regulated.

This of course is only my opinion.

You may not know it but the argument over what should and should not be called a Mech. Has been going on for years with tons weighing in with their own opinion. I do not see it ever being decided. So you are going to have to figure out what you believe to be true.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The way I have always classified them is as follows

If no solder or wires are used in the construction then I call them Mechs.

If Solder and or wires are used but no way to adjust voltage or wattage then I call them Unregulated.

If an electronic part is installed which allows you to adjust wattage or voltage then I call them Regulated.

This of course is only my opinion.

You may not know it but the argument over what should and should not be called a Mech. Has been going on for years with tons weighing in with their own opinion. I do not see it ever being decided. So you are going to have to figure out what you believe to be true.

This is how I used to think of it and it was mostly the industry standard

Lately mods are marketed so oddly it is confusing as all get out if you haven't been around the block

Sonar makes EXCELLENT unregulated mods btw

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The very notion of "semi-mechanical" is just as retarded as "semi-regulated"... that is, fully retarded, not semi-retarded.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree with Sonar's description with the addition of single MOSFET devices being added to the unregulated devices. The MOSFET is used as the switch with no regulation of the voltage/current to the coil.

Multi MOSFET devices like the Tesla I call semi-regulated as they limit the current supplied to the coil, but there is no voltage/current/power adjustment. The MOSFET just switches off if the current exceeds a certain limit or the batteries are installed wrong.

This is just my opinion and others will have theirs. Such is life...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with Sonar's description with the addition of single MOSFET devices being added to the unregulated devices. The MOSFET is used as the switch with no regulation of the voltage/current to the coil.

Multi MOSFET devices like the Tesla I call semi-regulated as they limit the current supplied to the coil, but there is no voltage/current/power adjustment. The MOSFET just switches off if the current exceeds a certain limit or the batteries are installed wrong.

This is just my opinion and others will have theirs. Such is life...
Unregulated, sure, no problem at all. But if it's got any sort of electronic component in it, then it's definitely no longer called a mech, but calling it "semi-mech" just because it's unregulated nevertheless is still a joke─not that I have anything against jokes in general, but... seriously. :p

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am not an expert, but this should not even be up for debate. It is a matter of simple definitions. A mech, or mechanical mod, is one that makes it's connections mechanically, without solder or wires. A regulated mod is one that controls the flow of power in any way. Example: a mosfet or chip. Companies can label then however they want, but the reality is that most mods fall under these two categories. I am not aware of a true unregulated mod that exists. That would be a mod that has wires, but no mosfets, or chips. Not to say they don't, but they would be very rare because the use of a switch, usually requires the use of a mosfet.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Somehow I feel like I've upset some people. I honestly didn't know. So a mech is straight up battery to atty contact, then unregulated has no power adjustments but can have wiring and solder points. And finally regulated would have any chip or board to prevent overheating etc. I guess I was confused because most websites categorize mech and unregulated together.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Somehow I feel like I've upset some people. I honestly didn't know. So a mech is straight up battery to atty contact, then unregulated has no power adjustments but can have wiring and solder points. And finally regulated would have any chip or board to prevent overheating etc. I guess I was confused because most websites categorize mech and unregulated together.

Mods aren't the only product they lump together

I'm seeing more and more sites with the atomizers wrongly categorized too

There's a couple where anything with factory coils is put under tanks, even drippers

But RTAs are put in with RDAs, the correct category for both would be RBA :confused:

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh no, I hope you dont think you've upset anyone?!? If anyone is upset, that is on them to work out. I feel like I may have come across harsh, or degrading now. I'm truly sorry. That surely wasn't my intention. I only hope to inform you or anyone else. As far as labeling in the industry goes, you have it spot on.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
trying to understand mech mods and this thread is useful. i don't know if this makes sense or not but i'm looking at getting a back up mod that isn't run by a chip and doesn't have an electronic board. in my experience, all electronics fail at some point, and i just don't want to be caught without something to fall back on. i was thinking that a mech mod might be the way to go. from what i've read so far, i'm leaning towards a dual batt parallel mod. any advice would be welcome.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
trying to understand mech mods and this thread is useful. i don't know if this makes sense or not but i'm looking at getting a back up mod that isn't run by a chip and doesn't have an electronic board. in my experience, all electronics fail at some point, and i just don't want to be caught without something to fall back on. i was thinking that a mech mod might be the way to go. from what i've read so far, i'm leaning towards a dual batt parallel mod. any advice would be welcome.
A good affordable parallel mech I could recommend is the geek vape mech pro, I really like mine. They are around 40 some bucks from fasttech, a heavy mod but that's a good thing IMO.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
A good affordable parallel mech I could recommend is the geek vape mech pro, I really like mine. They are around 40 some bucks from fasttech, a heavy mod but that's a good thing IMO.

I'm considering this one. Where I'm at, it's cheap and readily available. I looked at one last week and found it heavy. I agree w/ you abpit tje weight - feels solid and well built. And at that price, seems like it's worth it. I'd like to look at other, lighter options but I really might end up with the geek vape.

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I based my preference on this article, Unregulated parallel box mod vs. unregulated series box mod / Vaping battery safety ( https://www.zamplebox.com/community...egulated-series-box-mod-vaping-battery-safety ): "Unregulated Parallel box mods are devices that split the current between two or more batteries at the same time. While the total voltage remains that of a single battery (4.2v), the total battery life (or mAh rating) is increased as well as the overall amperage since there is less draw on any one battery in the circuit."

VU Sponsors