Become a Patron!

Second Time’s The Charm? Quitting Smoking (Again) & Embracing The Vape

Dan Hollis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hello All.

I am now at 6 weeks tobacco free (smoked for 19 years) due largely to vaping on pod systems (started with JUUL, currently using the Smok Nord and Vladdin RE to save some money with a refillable system and try new juices.)

I was hoping to get more flavor out of vaping, since only the Nord gives me a semblance of the juice’s advertised flavor (but even that is hit or miss.) I picked up a Voopoo Drag Mini and a Horizontech Falcon tank, and have tried about a dozen flavors now. Sadly, the only one I’ve been able to really taste consistently and fully enjoy is a pineapple turnover cake flavor. Every other dessert type flavor tastes like burnt hazelnut, and every fruit type juice tastes like a bitter berry scented perfume.

I know it’s not the devices or the juices, and that all those years of smoking have likely destroyed my taste buds (although I don’t really have that problem with foods), so at this point I am hoping my senses eventually recover and that i can find some juices in the meantime that somehow I can taste and love.

Happy to join this community and remain on the quitter’s path with you all. The fact vaping feels like a hobby with all the different devices and styles has really kept me engaged, and I thoroughly enjoy watching videos and reading about it. The posts in this forum have been really informative and guiding me along, so I appreciate you all. Maybe in a year I’ll know what I’m talking about and will look back at this post and cringe (but in that happy, nostalgic “watching old family videos” sort of way.)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Hello Dan, kudos for giving quitting another go. Have you tried playing with watts and af to improve flavor? When I started vaping I couldn't taste much either so found sites that offered flavor shots. Enjoyed Highbrow Vapor juices quite a bit, you can request flavor shots.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A couple of us were just talking about this the other day. We both landed on cinnamon-based flavors right after switching to vaping because we could taste them. I'm still vaping a lot of cinnamon, it's one of my favorite flavor profiles.

The Horizon Falcon is supposed to be one of the better sub-ohm tanks, so think you made a good choice there. It's just a matter of hanging tough and refusing to smoke, give yourself time to acclimate. You'll start feeling better pretty quickly and that will give you extra motivation.

You could always try an RDA, even if you buy pre-wound coils to put in it. Nothing compares to a good RDA for flavor.

It may be that you can get more specific advice about your setup if you'll specify which type of coil you're using, the resistance, and how you have wattage and airflow set. Sometimes a little tweaking can work wonders.

marter

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello All.

I am now at 6 weeks tobacco free (smoked for 19 years) due largely to vaping on pod systems (started with JUUL, currently using the Smok Nord and Vladdin RE to save some money with a refillable system and try new juices.)

I was hoping to get more flavor out of vaping, since only the Nord gives me a semblance of the juice’s advertised flavor (but even that is hit or miss.) I picked up a Voopoo Drag Mini and a Horizontech Falcon tank, and have tried about a dozen flavors now. Sadly, the only one I’ve been able to really taste consistently and fully enjoy is a pineapple turnover cake flavor. Every other dessert type flavor tastes like burnt hazelnut, and every fruit type juice tastes like a bitter berry scented perfume.

I know it’s not the devices or the juices, and that all those years of smoking have likely destroyed my taste buds (although I don’t really have that problem with foods), so at this point I am hoping my senses eventually recover and that i can find some juices in the meantime that somehow I can taste and love.

Happy to join this community and remain on the quitter’s path with you all. The fact vaping feels like a hobby with all the different devices and styles has really kept me engaged, and I thoroughly enjoy watching videos and reading about it. The posts in this forum have been really informative and guiding me along, so I appreciate you all. Maybe in a year I’ll know what I’m talking about and will look back at this post and cringe (but in that happy, nostalgic “watching old family videos” sort of way.)
Hello, Dan, and welcome to VU from another brand new member. Congrats on the 6 weeks; I'm at 2 weeks today. I've followed a similar path as you, starting with Juuls and the Smok Nord. I love the Nord.

A couple suggestions if I may. I'm a MTL (mouth to lung) smoker due to years of cigarettes. I do a little restricted direct to lung, but prefer MTL. I just got an Innokin Kroma-A with a Zenith tank; it comes with a 1.4 ohm coil for MTL and a 0.8 ohm for restricted DTL. In my opinion it's a great MTL kit that's a step up from the Nord, which I still use and enjoy. You might like it as well.

As far as flavors, I love the Pacha Mama 25mg Salts in Apple Tobacco and Fuji Apple. I like the 6mg freebase Peach Papaya Coconut Cream from Pacha Mama as well, but the apple flavors are outstanding, in my opinion.

Keep it up, and enjoy. This is a great resource.

Happy vaping,
Mike

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Congratulations and welcome aboard :cheers: ...see some of the others have answered you already so I’ll watch until you reply with some more info

Dan Hollis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thank you all for the greetings, advice, and recommendations.

The Falcon tank I am using has a 0.19 resistance, and at 65 watts I am getting smooth vapor production at a comfortable temperature (e.g. it doesn’t burn my lips.) I know this setting is meant for DTL over MTL, but I’ve tried both just to see the changes in taste.

The MTL drags at this setting have a metallic taste with very little flavor. Being a smoker I obviously don’t mind a throat hit, but this does not feel as smooth as the hit a cigarette gives me, more like if you accidentally breathe in the spray from an air freshener or perfume. I get the same experience using the Nord. The direct to lung hit is far better on both, as I at least get a semblance of flavor on the exhale (just missing that “wow, this is really delicious” experience.)

I am using 70vg/30pg mixes exclusively on the tank (with 3mg - 6mg nicotine). Using some 25mg nic salt liquids on the Nord. I read that more PG might increase the flavor (and notice all the juices at Highbrow Vapors that Letitia9 mentioned actually have a 70pg/30vg mix, so wondering if I’ve had it backwards this whole time).

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I mix my own juice at 35/65 (pg/vg) and the flavor is fine. If you go too high in pg and vape at higher wattage, you can experience some leaking. The juice is just too thin. I used to vape 70/30 (pg/vg) liquids when I was still vaping MTL at 18W with 1.5 ohm coils. Need thinner juice then so it wicks properly.

If the coil you're using is the F1 (kanthal, cotton and wood pulp), it is rated for 70-90 watts.

I would try going down by 5 watts at a time, take a few drags, and see how the flavor is. When you get down to about 40 watts, try going up from 65 by 5 watts at a time, if you haven't found a sweet spot yet. When you are down below 50W, close the airflow a bit and see if that helps. Instead of having it wide open, try it 3/4 or 1/2 open and see what happens. At higher wattages, you'll need more air, though, to keep the vapor cool enough to not burn you.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU - and congratulations :wave:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU!:cheers:

Congrats on making it to 6 weeks! Lots of good suggestions in this thread, but sometimes it just takes a while for your taste buds to wake up.

Hello Dan and well done. I was pretty confused in the first few months of vaping. So many joices and so many opinions and advice. What really worked well for me were Aspire Nautilus Tanks and coils. The Nautilus, Nautilus mini, Triton Mini, Nautilus 2 (bit of a dud)& Nautilus 2S all can use the same coils which are 1.6, 1.8, Clapton 1.8, .7 & a new .4 coil ( I may have missed some as these are the ones I have used) Hope this helps you stay off vaping and your taste buds will comeback.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hello Dan and well done. I was pretty confused in the first few months of vaping. So many joices and so many opinions and advice. What really worked well for me were Aspire Nautilus Tanks and coils. The Nautilus, Nautilus mini, Triton Mini, Nautilus 2 (bit of a dud)& Nautilus 2S all can use the same coils which are 1.6, 1.8, Clapton 1.8, .7 & a new .4 coil ( I may have missed some as these are the ones I have used) Hope this helps you stay off vaping and your taste buds will comeback.

Triton Mini is a nice tank. Substantial, no leaking.

VU Sponsors