Become a Patron!

School me on Ni80...

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If there's already a thread about this wire sorry, and can you link me to it please? What I've gathered so far is, it ohms lower than KA1 and ramps faster. I haven't really dug too deep.

I'm going to try some out today with a simple round wire dual coil build. I'm using an old 22MM Griffin RTA. With kanthal I usually do five to six wraps each side 2.5-3MM ID. It's usually .4 to .5 ohms IIRC, it's been a while. With Ni80 I expect it to ohm out lower or maybe have to add a wrap(s).

Am I on the right track? Can you share some experience? Is there anything else I need to know? Do you prefer Ni80 for flavor/clouds or anything else? Do you space Ni80 or just contact? Any thoughts on this stuff is appreciated.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use it for faster response up mainly. It's subjective to whether it gives a cleaner flavor than kanthal. But I can tell when I vape kanthal now. Other than that I use SS. Unless using ribbon then I use kanthal

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If there's already a thread about this wire sorry, and can you link me to it please? What I've gathered so far is, it ohms lower than KA1 and ramps faster. I haven't really dug too deep.

I'm going to try some out today with a simple round wire dual coil build. I'm using an old 22MM Griffin RTA. With kanthal I usually do five to six wraps each side 2.5-3MM ID. It's usually .4 to .5 ohms IIRC, it's been a while. With Ni80 I expect it to ohm out lower or maybe have to add a wrap(s).

Am I on the right track? Can you share some experience? Is there anything else I need to know? Do you prefer Ni80 for flavor/clouds or anything else? Do you space Ni80 or just contact? Any thoughts on this stuff is appreciated.

Nichrome wire will heat up faster than kanthal wire of the same gauge when the coils and voltage are the same, simply because it has the same mass but lower resistance. It's popular among mech users for this reason.

On a regulated mod, though, if you like vaping at 50 watts, it absolutely does not matter whether the coils are nichrome or kanthal or stainless steel, because your mod will adjust the voltage to get the wattage you tell it you want. All that matters is coil mass, not metal type, for how fast it will heat up and cool down again.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I also decided to try it out since NI80 seems to be the flavor of the week on the forums. I am far from a expert but I can tell you IMO I don't see much of a advantage over my SS. That may change since I just put these coils in most of my builds I am using right now so I have a while before they are toast. :wait:
I have not found out if Replay works on my DNA250C with NI80. For some reason it seemed not to then this morning I had the replay option so I am not sure what is up with that.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have not found out if Replay works on my DNA250C with NI80.
I'm looking at DNA250C devices trying to figure which one I'd like best. I've never had a mod with DNA chip. I like the usual Lost Vape ones but also like the VT box. Not sure what I'd really like. I'll probably wait for a holiday sale.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm looking at DNA250C devices trying to figure which one I'd like best. I've never had a mod with DNA chip. I like the usual Lost Vape ones but also like the VT box. Not sure what I'd really like. I'll probably wait for a holiday sale.
I have a Think Vape Finder 250C. It is my first DNA device and I have been loving it. I still need to go into escribe and mess with it more. Just haven't had the time or the peace and quiet to sit and learn the software.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I prefer Nichrome 80 and sometimes use Kanthal A1 wrapped in Nichrome 80, but never use SS316L because the latter offers no advantages to me in any way and instead just wears out in no time so all the hard work that went into my advanced coil builds just goes to waste in like only 3 days, if that. You certainly can't dry burn SS316L coils the same way you can dry burn Kanthal A1 and Nichrome 80. If you must have temp control or if you must post beautiful pictures online of colorful coils that look like art more than they do anything else right, SS316L seems like it would be a logical choice to make. For any and all other purposes, not so much.

All that matters is coil mass, not metal type, for how fast it will heat up and cool down again.
Wrong. The higher the heat capacity, the slower your coil will be to heat up (and to cool down)... Kanthal A1 has a higher heat capacity than SS316L, which, in turn, has a higher heat capacity than Nichrome 80. The heat capacity of your coil is automatically calculated by Wire Wizard on the Steam Engine website. Sure, you can also make it ramp up faster by increasing the wattage or by decreasing the total amount of metal used for making your coil. But that doesn't mean you can't make it ramp up faster just by changing it to Nichrome 80 and by changing nothing else. Further, the coil mass doesn't matter. A Nichrome 80 wire has more mass than an SS316L wire of the same gauge and length, as Nichrome 80 has a higher density than SS316L (just like lead has a higher density than iron). Despite this, given the same number of watts (and still assuming the same wire thickness and length), the Nichrome 80 coil is the one that heats up faster due to it having the lowest heat capacity.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I prefer Nichrome 80 and sometimes use Kanthal A1 wrapped in Nichrome 80, but never use SS316L because the latter offers no advantages to me in any way and instead just wears out in no time so all the hard work that went into my advanced coil builds just goes to waste in like only 3 days, if that. You certainly can't dry burn SS316L coils the same way you can dry burn Kanthal A1 and Nichrome 80. If you must have temp control or if you must post beautiful pictures online of colorful coils that look like art more than they do anything else right, SS316L seems like it would be a logical choice to make. For any and all other purposes, not so much.

Wrong. The higher the heat capacity, the slower your coil will be to heat up (and to cool down)... Kanthal A1 has a higher heat capacity than SS316L, which, in turn, has a higher heat capacity than Nichrome 80. The heat capacity of your coil is automatically calculated by Wire Wizard on the Steam Engine website. Sure, you can also make it ramp up faster by increasing the wattage or by decreasing the total amount of metal used for making your coil. But that doesn't mean you can't make it ramp up faster just by changing it to Nichrome 80 and by changing nothing else. Further, the coil mass doesn't matter. A Nichrome 80 wire has more mass than an SS316L wire of the same gauge and length, as Nichrome 80 has a higher density than SS316L (just like lead has a higher density than iron). Despite this, given the same number of watts (and still assuming the same wire thickness and length), the Nichrome 80 coil is the one that heats up faster due to it having the lowest heat capacity.

I just checked on Wire Wizard, and from lowest to highest in heat capacity:

Kanthal A1

Screenshot_20181013-080230.png

Nichrome 80
Screenshot_20181013-080049.png

316L SS

Screenshot_20181013-080148.png
They are all very close in these stats, but Wire Wizard says Kanthal has the lowest heat capacity *shrug*

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors