Become a Patron!

same nic level + different device or different flavor = different TH?

imitateart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I finally got my first order of nic-containing juices (12mg concentration, 70/30 VG/PG) and find that some of them are painful to inhale. From what i've read some of the flavors I got (cinnamon and clove) are abrasive to some people, and I am thinking that nic is less friendly at higher temps/bigger clouds as well. I have a cigalike and a iStick 40W TC with subtank mini. cigalike is for outside use (vaping is still quite uncommon where I live, and I work in a 9-5 type environment so need to look "normal" when "smoking" at work lol) and the iStick is almost exclusively used at home (may bring it out to real world when I move from RBA to RDA).

Anyway, I am going to list the flavors I've been using in the two different devices... was hoping ya'll might share some advice - i.e. juices used with iStick should be __ mg/ml or less nic, when vaping clove/cin ___ mg/ml would be good (or avoid/use xyz brand flavor instead), take a sip of water every ___ hits to reduce sting, etc.

This order was from VaporFi, but I plan to DIY from here on out, so I will be able to easily control what % nic/concentrate brand etc I use... I realize it is quite subjective, still would love to hear what has worked for others.

Flavor (F): Clove (Cigarette)
Device (D): cigalike+clearo
Painful (P): Yes- was able to tone it down by mixing with a vanilla/custard/tobacco blend

F: Mango-Lemon
D: Stick 40W +subtank Mini using RBA, 0.7 ohm coil
P: Yes - seems to vary with wattage... higher = stronger sting, but also more cloud and flavor so...I tend to like it higher (20-30 watts vs. 10-15 for reasonable TH)

F: Whiskey
D: cigalike+clearo
P: not really (small sting, but I think its b/c throat is raw from clove & mango lemon)

F: Cherry-Tabacco
P: not really (same as above)

F: Vanilla

F: Red Hot (cin candy)

Flavors left to try:
Vanilla/Custard/Tobacco blend by itself
Lemon+Peach+Mint blend
Cinnamon (not the candy)

(edit for formatting)

Last edited:

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I started on clearos, like most a long time ago, and I found that I needed heavy nic due to the high ohms / small mAh batteries

When you graduate to subtanks, 3-6mg ends up being the sweet spot. Both for amount of nic absorbed and the crazy roughness of the vape you can get.

The flavour will take a huge hit, but you could blend a few down by 50% v/v or more with pure VG with the subtank and see how it goes.

Since VG is your base, try and source some good non-GMO coconut if you can. I wasn't a fan of USP stuff from the pharmacy in my early DIY trials

Best of luck!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a thought, it might be the nic used in the juice. I DIY and can feel the differences between different vendors nic.I am sure more will chime in with other thougths also, and welcome to V/U! Vape On

imitateart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Count Vapula - thanks. well, vg/pg are expensive to get here (Japan, $8-10 for 120-200ml D:!) but as an order from US will take quite a long time to get here I may bite the bullet for first order... can get similar flavor concentrates to what were used for the stuff i ordered and cool down the nic when i put it in subtank instead of cigalike. =]

@Jimi I see. I'll pretty much only be ordering from one supplier... I hope their nic is ok '-'; (again, due to where I live. not many places ship here :/ and shipping is expensive so even if I did have a bunch of suppliers to choose from, I would consolidate my orders to one)

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Paying a ton for shipping too, but I'm in Canada lol.

Found everything was super expensive in Nihon. There should be plenty of Coco-VG in SEA though.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So, I finally got my first order of nic-containing juices (12mg concentration, 70/30 VG/PG) and find that some of them are painful to inhale. From what i've read some of the flavors I got (cinnamon and clove) are abrasive to some people, and I am thinking that nic is less friendly at higher temps/bigger clouds as well. I have a cigalike and a iStick 40W TC with subtank mini. cigalike is for outside use (vaping is still quite uncommon where I live, and I work in a 9-5 type environment so need to look "normal" when "smoking" at work lol) and the iStick is almost exclusively used at home (may bring it out to real world when I move from RBA to RDA).

Anyway, I am going to list the flavors I've been using in the two different devices... was hoping ya'll might share some advice - i.e. juices used with iStick should be __ mg/ml or less nic, when vaping clove/cin ___ mg/ml would be good (or avoid/use xyz brand flavor instead), take a sip of water every ___ hits to reduce sting, etc.

This order was from VaporFi, but I plan to DIY from here on out, so I will be able to easily control what % nic/concentrate brand etc I use... I realize it is quite subjective, still would love to hear what has worked for others.

Flavor (F): Clove (Cigarette)
Device (D): cigalike+clearo
Painful (P): Yes- was able to tone it down by mixing with a vanilla/custard/tobacco blend

F: Mango-Lemon
D: Stick 40W +subtank Mini using RBA, 0.7 ohm coil
P: Yes - seems to vary with wattage... higher = stronger sting, but also more cloud and flavor so...I tend to like it higher (20-30 watts vs. 10-15 for reasonable TH)

F: Whiskey
P: not really (small sting, but I think its b/c throat is raw from clove & mango lemon)

F: Cherry-Tabacco

F: Vanilla

F: Red Hot (cin candy)

Flavors left to try:
Vanilla/Custard/Tobacco blend by itself
Lemon+Peach+Mint blend
Cinnamon (not the candy)

(edit for formatting)
Looking at your "test results", it looks like you only have the problem, when using the iStick with the Subtank mini. You need to reduce the nicotine (6-8mg/ml) just for this configuration.

VU Sponsors