Become a Patron!

Safety Question.

Hey guys, just joined and looking for some knowledge. I have an IMR 18650 3.7v 2500mAH 35A battery. I just made a dual parallel coil build reading .2 ohms. Not sure if it's the beer or how late it is after working so long but I can't determine if this would be safe for me and my battery. Please help.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, just joined and looking for some knowledge. I have an IMR 18650 3.7v 2500mAH 35A battery. I just made a dual parallel coil build reading .2 ohms. Not sure if it's the beer or how late it is after working so long but I can't determine if this would be safe for me and my battery. Please help.
It should be just fine...
I would use a simple online ohms law calculator like this screenshot..
Your .2 ohm build pulls 21A (current) at 4.2 v (typical fully charged 3.7v batt)
You say your using a batt rated at 35A
which should easily handle that 21A load...
Suggest your learn a working knowledge of ohms law too..it'll keep you safe ..
5a0d735d94b2bb5ca0056376df1a039b.jpg
..hope this helps

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The tricky part here is that there's no such thing as a 35 amp battery - most batteries that claim this rating are actually rated for 20A, meaning your 21A build is going to be beyond the cell's comfortable limits. Without knowing for sure what you have, I'd be cautious - some battery re-wrappers use cells that can't even handle 20A but claim 35 or 40...

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm a bit more confused now haha. I've been using an ohm calculator and ohm law's equation. I typically build around .6 ohms. I found a chart after doing some research claiming I can use .2 builds safely. Just not sure about the battery. It's an MXJO if you guys have any opinion.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How do we know what we hear from shops like WakeandVape is true? After all aren't they a vape shop interested in selling the goods they push? Lol

How do we know what we hear from shops like WakeandVape is true? After all aren't they a vape shop interested in selling the goods they push? Lol

Exactly. It states in the reading to stay away from MXJO but, even despite 5 star reviews from... Well everywhere, they're rewrapped LG's which is "respected" in said reading.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
to each their own, personally I don't want batteries someone in china has re-wrapped

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jack..
I agree..l have been using both the IMREN and AWT batts the last three months
with no issues at all..They don't get hot and hold a charge all day long and then some...Also Provape only sells and recommends the AW batt for their high priced Provari...and yet I read on that blog these batts are rewrapped ..
I learned not to believe everything I read on the Internet a long time ago and I'm highly skeptical here..lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
to each there own, personally I don't want batteries someone in china has re-wrapped
If you know that for sure..maybe you shouldn't use anything made in China, including mods...just sayin..lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What are you using now Smacksy?
Well I've got these 5 mods setup in rotation..The two 100w IPV4's have the red IMREN batts, and the two 150w IPV3's have the yellow AWT batts..The little black IPVD2 also has a AWT batt in it..
7c3fcc664cfc92f84c69e59a8a75610f.jpg

967b893fb411adfad1e787b1989c163c.jpg

This is the Dark Horse RDA with a .22 ohm dual nichrome build ...On the IPV4 (IMREN batts) at 75-80w it blows huge clouds and flavor is good too..I like to vape different mods with diff flavors to help avoid flavor burnout...lol
62eace65a08df16f312cfeeeccc9a576.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've got these 5 mods setup in rotation..The two 100w IPV4's have the red IMREN batts, and the two 150w IPV3's have the yellow AWT batts..The little black IPVD2 also has a AWT batt in it..
7c3fcc664cfc92f84c69e59a8a75610f.jpg

967b893fb411adfad1e787b1989c163c.jpg

This is the Dark Horse RDA with a .22 ohm dual nichrome build ...On the IPV4 (IMREN batts) at 75-80w it blows huge clouds and flavor is good too..I like to vape different mods with diff flavors to help avoid flavor burnout...lol
62eace65a08df16f312cfeeeccc9a576.jpg

Looks and sounds awesome! I'm just getting into vaping. Been messing around with a couple mech mods I bought to quit smoking and cloud chase.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks and sounds awesome! I'm just getting into vaping. Been messing around with a couple mech mods I bought to quit smoking and cloud chase.
Thanks!
If you plan on using mechs and want to build for clouds I highly suggest to learn about ohms law and have a working knowledge of basic electronics...
Also get a good ohm meter to test the resistance of your builds ..Obeying ohms law as it pertains to battery safety is important...vape on but stay safe!

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You made a good choice to join this forum..lots of good folks here to help you along your vaping journey and keep off those nasty cancer sticks..

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just for the record, build resistance has nothing to do with battery current in a variable power mod. It does with mechs. You said you've (OP) been messing with mechs so if you are in this case you really need an ohm checker that is more accurate than one that measures only to the 1/10th of an ohm. Resistances from .15 to .24 will all read .2 if you can't measure to the 1/100th. That's around 10 amps and 50 watts of difference.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jack..
I agree..l have been using both the IMREN and AWT batts the last three months
with no issues at all..They don't get hot and hold a charge all day long and then some...Also Provape only sells and recommends the AW batt for their high priced Provari...and yet I read on that blog these batts are rewrapped ..
I learned not to believe everything I read on the Internet a long time ago and I'm highly skeptical here..lol

I'm pretty sure AW does not equal AWT, though I could be wrong.

Personally, I prefer to only use Samsung, LG, and Sony batteries - aside from Panasonic these are the ONLY legit manufacturers of 18650 cells I'm aware of. And why pay extra for a "second bin" re-wrap when you can get a legit product cheaper? I don't use Panasonic because their cells aren't rated for enough discharge for my purposes, though when I was vaping sub-20-watt they had a killer 3000+ mah cell that was perfect for my Vamo/Protank setup...

Not to say people haven't successfully vaped with knockoff batteries, just that I personally wouldn't do it and don't see why someone would pay more for a fake cell than a legit one...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure AW does not equal AWT, though I could be wrong.

Personally, I prefer to only use Samsung, LG, and Sony batteries - aside from Panasonic these are the ONLY legit manufacturers of 18650 cells I'm aware of. And why pay extra for a "second bin" re-wrap when you can get a legit product cheaper? I don't use Panasonic because their cells aren't rated for enough discharge for my purposes, though when I was vaping sub-20-watt they had a killer 3000+ mah cell that was perfect for my Vamo/Protank setup...

Not to say people haven't successfully vaped with knockoff batteries, just that I personally wouldn't do it and don't see why someone would pay more for a fake cell than a legit one...
Availability of "legit" cells is one thing..as I don't have time to find out who has them in stock or wait for vape mail to deliver them...(I want them and I want them Now, lol)
And batt choices are not as critical as they were for my mechs..don't vape them much these days anyway since getting into these VW box mods..
Money wise you night have a point but I'm not buying 4 cartons of Marlboro a month anymore either....so the few extra dollars I spend in my local shop for juice, wire and batts is negligible. Just saying :)

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Availability of "legit" cells is one thing..as I don't have time to find out who has them in stock or wait for vape mail to deliver them...(I want them and I want them Now, lol)
And batt choices are not as critical as they were for my mechs..don't vape them much these days anyway since getting into these VW box mods..
Money wise you night have a point but I'm not buying 4 cartons of Marlboro a month anymore either....so the few extra dollars I spend in my local shop for juice, wire and batts is negligible. Just saying :)

I appreciate your position, as well as the desire to have new product in hand NOW, but I'm still goiing to say real batteries are better than fake ones, and that any battery claiming 30A that isn't a VTC 3 or 4 is made by a company with the specific intention of causing bodily harm to the end user.

VU Sponsors